Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Re: Grad Nights 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bingocimo View Post
    Thanks for the info and the advice. do they have fireworks later in the evening for the grad nights?
    Fireworks run as usual nothing different despite Grad Nites now that they are in DCA. Fireworks are not nightly, just on Friday-Sunday night until Memorial Day weekend and then become nightly shows.

A big problem in the past with Grad Nites in DCA, was that lots of Grads wanted to watch the fireworks. The Grads made the viewing extra crowded. But this year with fireworks being at 9:30 in May and taking 15 minutes, and the Grad Party starting at 10 this may help. Many the grads will want to get into DCA earlier and give up on watching the fireworks.

World of Color on the other hand requires a FastPass to get into the reserved viewing area. So regardless of the crowds it can't be busier. They run at 9:15 in May and then 9 when it starts going twice a night with Memorial Day Weekend. The problem with WoC is when it ends you are in a crush of people wading to the park exit.

One things to keep in mind about the Grads is there are not a lot them. They have several thousands guests and you are part of 20-30 or more thousand guests. You just see little groups of them allover and are rarely surrounded by them.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

One thing to keep in mind is that as it nears 10 pm when DCA is closed to regular guests, everyone who would normally be in DCA will migrate to Disneyland.

Thanks again swampymarsh for your objective answers. i was a bit concerned when i started reading this thread but I think it should be okay if I follow a plan with the suggestions above. I am intent on having a blast with the kid regardless of Grad night.

• Selfie Expert

For some reason I thought I had heard the 24 hour event on 5/23 was a grad night - really relieved that it appears that is not the case!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Grad Nite dates come out in the summer so that's really old information but still relevant. There are still about 6 nights that haven't sold out. If Disney wants it can still add nights.
    I incidentally was looking and noticed that there are about 10 nights with available tickets now. No new nights have been added to far.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I incidentally was looking and noticed that there are about 10 nights with available tickets now. No new nights have been added to far.
    Good.
    (My husband just put an extra calendar up on the refrigerator with "G"s written in on Grad Nights so we could easily see when to avoid evenings in the parks).

Quote Originally Posted by bingocimo View Post
    Thanks again swampymarsh for your objective answers. i was a bit concerned when i started reading this thread but I think it should be okay if I follow a plan with the suggestions above. I am intent on having a blast with the kid regardless of Grad night.
    We are going to have an awesome trip too! We'll be with a grad, just not a SoCal one. She's a good kid and I hope the grads in the park behave themselves too.

• Greetings, Program!

If they add 7th-8th-or 9th, they're going have to unplug their customer service phone. I won't be as nice as I was last year.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Sock Puppet

Grad Nite has become just a huge progressive rave through DCA. I was able to go to one back in 2011 while it was still at Disney, and I enjoyed myself a lot more than when I went in 2013. Half the park was close, the only rides that were open weren't very repeatable, and the music being played was jarring and loud. For being a "supervised" event, there is a lot of *ahem* unnecessary activity going on. I feel for the price people pay to get into this event, it needs to be longer, more to do besides dancing, and more supervised. *Rant over* Thank you for posting these dates, and I will plan accordingly!

I got to chaperone a grad night once, way back in the good old days of 2000. It was one of the most fun times I've ever had at Disneyland. Our only obligations were to ride the buses to and from, and work one hour at the school's meeting point. The rest of the night was ours to enjoy. Only had to deal with one drunk kid.

Sounds like it would be a WHOLE LOT less fun to chaperone now.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• Banned User

Wow. I had no idea so much has changed since 96. I had mine and was working there so I worked a couple. I hated them back when I WAS a grad, and I'm sure I'll hate them still.

Thank you for posting the dates. I will avoid the teens like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyminx View Post
    Wow. I had no idea so much has changed since 96. I had mine and was working there so I worked a couple. I hated them back when I WAS a grad, and I'm sure I'll hate them still.

Thank you for posting the dates. I will avoid the teens like the plague.
    I avoid them NOW.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I avoid them NOW.
    You can say THAT again. I will actually turn away from lines if I will be alone in front or behind a group of teens. I get sad and wish that the girls valued more than their looks in themselves and that the boys would actually USE their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyminx View Post
    You can say THAT again. I will actually turn away from lines if I will be alone in front or behind a group of teens. I get sad and wish that the girls valued more than their looks in themselves and that the boys would actually USE their brains.
    How many times can I type "THIS!"

Curlyminx, I graduated in '96! Things definitely have gone downhill in such a short time since then. I used to work in public schools (including high school).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast