Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autopia monster queue = One E Ticket

One thing that has always gnawed at me is the size of the Autopia queue/load/unload.

I realize that funneling people to multiple lanes of cars and the cars and car storage themselves need space, but that queue is a monster!

The footprint of the queue alone would fit a Matterhorn or a Space Mountain or a Splash Mountain.

Is there nothing they could do to rework the queue/load to free up most of this space?

• Singing Drinker

Re: Autopia monster queue = One E Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    One thing that has always gnawed at me is the size of the Autopia queue/load/unload.

I realize that funneling people to multiple lanes of cars and the cars and car storage themselves need space, but that queue is a monster!

The footprint of the queue alone would fit a Matterhorn or a Space Mountain or a Splash Mountain.

Is there nothing they could do to rework the queue/load to free up most of this space?
    I'm not sure they could *quite* fit a Matterhorn or SM in that size of space, but it's definitely not a premium use of area or loading and could have (when they were doing the rebuild) been set up to shunt cars onto different loading tracks to radically speed up the process. As it is, one car with someone with mobility issues holds up EVERYONE.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

they could just tear down Autopia and make something worthwhile

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Part of why so many micechatters wouldn't be strongly opposed to getting rid of Autopia has got to be that it, along with the queue, is a gigantic space hog. I've always wondered if it was made so big (even bigger, if you include the old FL Autopia) as partially to fill space until something better could be put in place. I could start a whole 'would Walt still want a regular old highway in the middle of Tomorrowland?' argument, here, but I won't hijack the thread.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 01-16-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I do not know of these edits of which you speak.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

I'm not sure the queue itself is really that big, is it? Much of it is elevated occupying the air above other parts of the attraction.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Part of why so many people wouldn't be strongly opposed to getting rid of Autopia has got to be that it, along with the queue, is a gigantic space hog. I've always wondered if it was made so big (even bigger, if you include the old FL Autopia) as partially to fill space until something better could be put in place. I could start a whole 'would Walt still want a regular old highway in the middle of Tomorrowland?' argument, here, but I won't hijack the thread.
    During the period that the Autopia was rebuilt, Disney management was well into the Pressler period of "cheap no matter the cost" - the same decision makers who thought TL '98/DCA 1.0 was a surefire hit were the same ones behind that rebuild. So, rather than do all that much, they just combined the current FL and TL tracks, rebuilt a little, redid the station without putting any undue amount of effort into it and called it "good".

It took over a billion to fix DCA. Gods only know how much it'd cost to repair TL including Autopia.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It took over a billion to fix DCA. Gods only know how much it'd cost to repair TL including Autopia.
    Hmmm... That sounds like a great idea for a new thread!

Thanks for the information on the Autopia re-hash. I thought that it had take place much earlier. (Despite growing up fairly close to Disneyland, I actually only visited the park a two or three times, as a kid. I didn't start going very often until I was well into my teens, and I wasn't really up on any inside DL info until I joined MC.)
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Hmmm... That sounds like a great idea for a new thread!

Thanks for the information on the Autopia re-hash. I thought that it had take place much earlier. (Despite growing up fairly close to Disneyland, I actually only visited the park a two or three times, as a kid. I didn't start going very often until I was well into my teens, and I wasn't really up on any inside DL info until I joined MC.)
    Yup - just in case you cared (you may not, not entirely sure why I do honestly) the dates:

1992-1999, separate TL/FL Autopias with FL side using Rescue Rangers theme (not consistently open during later end of this incarnation)
    1999-2000 closed for rebuild
    2000-current what we have now, minus Chevron's sponsorship which ended a couple years back.

Thanks. When it comes to Disney trivia, I most likely do care.

Was the queue increased in size, much, in 2000? I'm trying to recall what it looked like when I was a kid, and my vague recollection is that it was more modest.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

That billion also included Cars Land though.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

They should make autopia where you drive cars on the highway of the future and you get to pass a big city of the future and the skyway would take you to the city of the future and you get to walk around go into the different houses and there are activities.I'm thinking if Autopia turned into something like this many people wouldn't want it to go away and it would be futuristic too !

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    That billion also included Cars Land though.
    ...which was part of the rebuild and rebranding to fix a park that was definitely below expectations. If the money hadn't been spent on Carsland, it would have had to go somewhere - DCA needed something of that scope combined with the hundreds of millions on WOC, LM, TOT etc. to bring it up to snuff.

And I even say this as something of a fan of the older version.

I could be wrong, but I think that FreshBakedDisney meant to say that the billion spent also included the cost of building Cars Land, which means that such a sum of money could go even further towards conquering the issues with TL and the Autopia queue.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

I'm not sure they could *quite* fit a Matterhorn or SM in that size of space
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I'm not sure the queue itself is really that big, is it? Much of it is elevated occupying the air above other parts of the attraction.
    Just look at Google Maps and you can see that, while slightly different in shape, the sq footage of the footprint of the Autopia queue/load area is roughly the same as that for Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Little Mermaid, Star Tours, the show building for HM, Splash Mountain (though Splash has a elongated footprint, of course) - all of those could fit just fine.

Yup - just in case you cared (you may not, not entirely sure why I do honestly) the dates:

1992-1999, separate TL/FL Autopias with FL side using Rescue Rangers theme (not consistently open during later end of this incarnation)
    1999-2000 closed for rebuild
    2000-current what we have now, minus Chevron's sponsorship which ended a couple years back.
    You probably know this, but just to be sure, separate TL/FL Autopias date back to 1959. And the queues for each were tiny triangular shapes, probably about 1/10 the size of the current queue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast