Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Under that tree again!

My Blue Sky Tomorrowland.

I saw another thread that follows this topic. What could be done with Tomorrowland, with a billllion dollars?

Then this thread which I think deserves far more attention. Interesting Anahiem Resort Area Documents

And there was also this one. Autopia monster queue = One E Ticket

And my idea happens to cover all of those subjects.

To start I've mention this before and others have too that sight lines can be preserved. In DCA the Cadillac Range blocks out the Hilton, and Screamin Blocks out the convention center. The Hyperion Theater is going to block out the rising Ramada Maingate. A Western River Expedition or something like it on the north west part of ROA could Block out the M&F garage. And so my idea for Tomorrowland uses the same method.

In Tomorrowland specifically it gets taller as you go in. That is the parts facing the Hub do not grow, they stay their current height to not intrude on the theming of the Hub. However these building in the foreground do block the view of what's behind them. So behind them Tomorrowland Terrace and the Star Traders/Starcade building could be taller. And opposite them is even taller building where Innoventions and the Pizza Port are.

These large building can allow layering, multi tiers of attractions, or attractions that have vertical differences in their layouts. Also these building in their lower levels can go over, or accommodate into their structure railroad dioramas, and monorail tracks, and some back stage functions.

Also to create a clear divide between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland a triangle shaped mountain could be used. The back would face Harbor blocking site lines out of the park. One side would face Fantasyland the third Tomorrowland. This would allow for a wild part of tomorrowland, and another mountain for Fantasyland. These mountains could be just back drop like the Cadillac Range or accommodate attractions. The monorail, Autopia and Subs could be under or inside the mountain or replaced with other attractions.

A dual function of this vertical space is that it creates more space not just blocking site lines. As DL stretches to its max area the only way to grow is up or down. This will require the stacking of guest spaces. Tomorrowland simply allows for extra tall and tiered structures as its urban theme is natural for it.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Under that tree again!

Re: My Blue Sky Tomorrowland.

What do you do with the new found room?

I would lay out Tomorrowland with three loosely themed areas. In the middle is what we would call, Liftoff or Touch Down, the transistion between the other areas. To the south is Flight, that is being in space. To the north is Terra Firma, where you are on a planet.

To explain, this is kind of what we already have. Space Mountain to the south is where you are in space. Star Tours, you take off and land some where, as does the Astro Orbiter both in the middle area. And the subs and Autopia are surface attractions to the north.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

For the southern area of travel in space, we already have Space Mountain and as you come into the land Star Tours.

As you come into Tomorrowland and around the corner to the south, next to Star Traders is the Star Cade, this area becomes the queue for X-Wing vs Tie Fighters coaster. This queue will split and you can join the Empire or Republic. One loading area is toward the north and the other below but to the south. This attraction, extends the land into the Back Stage area which is currently behind Main Street to its west aisw.

As this building height would be increased another story on top with basement below it would have about 40+ vertical feet within, allowing vertical movement in the ride's path. It would also be in a long building rather than a simple square shaped building. Having lots of long straight runs, rather than constant twists, allows speed to be high without puke inducing turns.

Here are some pictures of this concept from the interwebs.

The issues are see are of capacity and the layout.

I would consider two tracks if not three, but send the cars out in pairs, leader and follower, instead of a third track, this way 4 cars depart at a time. The vehicles that load to the north can depart first, and come from under and be chased or drop in behind the southern stations cars. That way your squad of 4 is fighting another squad of 4 chasing each other around. If 6 guests per vehicle this would have 48 passengers dispatched at once.

Where the cars make turns or travel through strait a ways, projections can be used on the walls. These projections can lead to more perceived speed, and your ship may fire at on screen aircraft which may explode.

As you are in space you will see no planets up close.

Also going through this attraction is a pathway to Main Street's Alley. This would let guests have a second access to Tomorrowland from the park entry.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-06-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Meh

Well, I'm impressed!

• Under that tree again!

The next ride over is Space Mountain.

The front of this attraction is moved about 50 feet south and 50 feet east. This is mainly to open a plaza in front of the building. The back of the building will be stretched to the monorail. The Primeval Diorama is lost. The railroad goes under the Space Mountain attraction allowing for a slight preview from the railroad but the railroad is not greatly visible from the coaster. In a similar manner the Monorail curves through the far edge of the building but each attraction is visible to the other, in darkness the monorail will appear as a long space vehicle to the coaster riders.

Space Mountain receives a few major changes. One being that you are no longer launched, you are already in space and travel around it taking off from a mother ship. You will load on an upper level so you can drop to accelerate from the ship rather than going directly to a lift hill. Linear induction will be use in segments to raise the mini ships in a smoother and quicker fashion than a chain lift which is limited to slow, straight motion. Trains have on them orange lights at the front of the cars so when at break areas the lights will reflect off vapor to simulate reverse thrusters. Inside the new building is a smoother interior and sub spaces, rather than the massive room filled with steel supports. This way projections can be laid out in a finer manners and have a cleaner look.

The trains lose the Matterhorn bobsled design and come in longer multicar sets. Also instead of one track it will have a second interlaced track.

The intensity of this attraction stays low as it remains a family style coaster and does not compete with the wilder Star Wars coaster next door. The building changes greatly, grows in height but retains the current mountain cone with pinnacles.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

The 3rd and last attraction for the southern, outer space portion of TL will be a mild, appropriate for any age attraction. The entrance will be roughly where you start up the current ramps to Space Mountain but this attraction will be mostly in the space of the Grand Canyon diorama and it will widen out to the south where it abuts the new Space Mountain.

This attraction will be about intergalactic and interstellar space travel and the views of objects well beyond our solar system. It will use an omni loader and multicar ride vehicles. The vehicles after leaving the slow moving dock can speed up and slow down. This will be similar to the people mover in function. This will ride on rails and use suspension to cushion the rider, to give a smooth, gliding through space feeling. It will only move 5-10 miles per hour.

In the queue methods of travel will be described. Harvesting energy for long distance travel, creating artificial gravity, bending time and space.

In the ride various object will be shown that you travel fast between.

Galaxies

Star Evolution

Using projections over physical shapes will give life to the various props and mist made nebulas. Onboard audio that collects radio waves from the objects will be broadcast in the space vehicles, giving proximity returning to the hum of your craft when distant. Narration will describe what you are viewing. This will be a very tall attraction which at times will have views of two distant stars or galaxies at the same time. Mostly it will travel in near darkness with extremely limited views of the attraction building.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-06-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

I really love the idea of an X-Wing vs Tie Fighter coaster.

A few things though, there is no way the coaster cars could be the size they are in those drawings. If scaled to the six people seating areas they would be 30+ feet. Way too big.
    Also, why would you make a Star Wars coaster more intense than Space Mountain? Of all things, Star Wars should be for families to enjoy together.

Lastly, I would never want any major changes to Space Mountain. It's too great of an attraction to alter considerably.

• Under that tree again!

That design of the X Wing Ties Fighter is not my design, I only applied the idea.

One thing to keep in mind is that you form ride vehicles around the passengers, not necessarily keeping it to scale. For example how big is a real mine cart compared to in Snow Whites Scary Adventure. How big are carvable logs compared to Spash Mountain. How big is a rocket compared to Space Mountain or Astro Orbiter. How big is a coupe compared to Autopia or sedan to Mike and Sulley to the Rescue.

So you put the seating between mini wings on a short, longwise and height wise body.

Why would the SW coaster be more intense than SM, very simple, odds. Space is a very gentle coaster and family ready. So any coaster in comparison is most likely to be more intense. Not every attraction has to be for everyone, and Disney biggest missing segment of attractions is intense rides. Look at how many time you get inverted at DL compared to that other theme park down the street, Knotts.

My idea for Space Mountain is not to alter it greatly, more to increase capacity by scaling it up and improve the theming quality.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-06-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

Then you have the dining and retail.

SW coaster and Star Tours both exit through the Star Trader. Star Trader will need a small expansion to increase capacity with more guest walking through. Star Traders is pretty good about denying generic merchandise, with more Star Wars fans getting off Star Wars rides, you keep the merchandise more Star Wars strict.

Space Mountain and the intergalactic ride both share an exit gift shop. This one will carry the Space Mountain and general space section of the land merchandise. In here you can get things like science sets, space Legos, and clothing.

Disney Characters Space Mountain Shirt

Lego Space

Science Kit

3 dining location are also available.

The first one is dual purpose. It has counter service and is a new location for Jedi Training Academy. On the side walls are frescos of scenes of Mo Eisleys Cantina. It will have a stage to the interior wall. To the exterior are a bleacher style seating and then two levels of casual table seating which only has some seats offering a stage view and outside on the ground level and first upper tier is café style seating. Food is to one end and bathrooms to the other. In between Jedi Training sessions a band will take the stage, alien lip syncing with fake instruments but not the same aliens as depicted on the wall frescos.

Where the pizza port is now two dining location will share a kitchen. This will be in front of the intergalactic space travel ride. On the 1st and 2nd floor will be a buffet style all you care to eat Space Galley. ON the 3rd and 4th will be Table Service, with a prime view of Tomorrowland facing west and north.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-08-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

The Space section of Tomorrowland will have its own thememing.

It will have a smooth space station look like this image. Basically curves surfaces with little support frames.

The inner area or plaza will be roughly a circle. To buffer it from the middle of Tomorrowland where the old PM station is, there will be two big arcs. These two arcs will gently bend north and also be off axis. Between the two will have an almond shaped opening. From the middle of TL you would look between them and see the weenie of the Space Flight subland, Space Mountain.

The lower arc will bend slightly down from the second level of the land, it is a walkway bridge from east TL to west TL. The upper arc bend upward at the middle has a steeper climb. This upper arc is the ride path for the new people mover to be discussed later. From inside the southern Space Flight land, these arcs appears to surround the whole miniland, but they are just built into the walls, no longer true ride paths just architectural features to wrap the land. Though where the upper ride path appears to continue it becomes a ramp between the upper and lower levels of the land.

In this land is a large circular plaza. This contains shaded seating on the outside. In the middle is a water play area. Because there is no plant life in space, this will fill a void area, allow cooling and add dynamics.

Using 4 play areas like that, you can separate them with water enclosed walkways. These walkways that cut across the plaza will be the shortcuts to attractions, so you aren't left to circling the land only.

On the border of the play area are elevated fountains, that will allow seating along the base.

At night the colored water will add much vibrancy to the area.

A vertical centerpiece to this land may be used, slighty borrowed from Hong Kong Disneyland, it fits quite well. There the Orbitron(Rocket Jets, aka Astro Orbiter) revolved around a dark ball that is a large map of the universe. Its color shifts during the day and features illuminate themselves at night. It has planet like objects above.

While this wouldn't be a spinner ride it would use the same giant map. The two silver rings would remain at they would reflect the two rings that are, walkways, ride paths, or theming on the building around them. The planets above would become, models of space probes.

A big feature here will be increase guest access into the park. On the second level near the Counter Service location that host the Jedi Training Academy will be an elevated walkway from Main Street. It will pass through the X Wing vs Tie Fighter building, and meet up with the rumored alley behind Main Street where center street is. Elevated because it must span over the parade turn around loop.

Because this tunnel has Main Street on one end and Tomorrowland on the other, it's traveling over hundreds or thousands of years. To blend the eras a mild them is used between them. Steampunk. Steampunk is a Victorian style, of what the future would be like a high use of the then new mechanical machines. This will allow the tunnel to go from clean and bright to darker and vice versa. This same theme transition will be used to blend the railroad station into another part of Tomorrowland.

Another key part is the back of these buildings will get themed. Because of their new tallness there will be some spots that they may be seen from across the park, Hub, Town Square and Esplanade. The outer edge of the eastern and southern buildings get paint schemes and light texturing to look like Victorian buildings, with only the peak of Space Mountain out of theme. These edges won't be visible from inside Tommorrowland where it has the space station look. This extensive back stage theming will help prevent a large Tomorrowland from overwhelming site lines in the park.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-02-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

Next subland.

In what is currently the middle of Tomorrowland will remain a space port, with attractions that go into and come from space.

As mentioned before Star Tours remains south of the entrance. Buzz Light Year stays to the North though it gets a large remodel.

Buzz remains because it is a high capacity, interactive attraction. It's scenes get some retheming. More moving targets, and more complex movements, not just simple shooting gallery movements, rocking, spinning and popping up. More targets move in irregular patterns, appear and disappear in different places. Also removing the common cutout shapes the boxy theme elements get replaced with more 3D shapes with curves. A third Buzz is added to the end, to be there to tell the guest mission accomplished.

Behind Buzz Tomorrowland Terrace remains, but receives more dining area to the north and on a upper floor. Also on the second floor the people mover is bent onto it, and it's loading station is moved from the middle of TL to on top of the Terrace Kitchen. It's tracks still remain coming from the front of TL.

Just like at the south part of Tomorrowland, this northern building has two arcs that cross over to where Innoventions is. A lower arc connecting the upper Terrace Seating, dips gently as it bows toward the center of TL and crosses over toward Innoventions. And upper arc rises greatly as it bends toward the center of TL The lower is a walkway, the upper a ride path.

Innoventions itself is gone, and it's replacement building is 50 feet further to the east.

Now that TL has a large central area, it will be mostly open to allow the 3 way intersection to handle a lot of foot traffic. Breaking up the large open area are some planters of short plants, and a slightly raised hub. From the center you can look south through the two raised arcs at the entrance to the upper heights of space mountain, framed between the arcs, beckoning you south. From the center you can also look north through the high arcs toward another mountain attraction in the terrestrial northern land.

Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

Where Innovations is currently is completely leveled. A new building is built, The Space Terminal, but it runs almost back to the property line, with the monorail traveling through it's rear. The front is about 100 feet back from where Innovations is. 50 feet of that was used to expand the central open area of TL. The other 50 is where a rock formation begins. As you look strait into TL this building is still dead ahead, but the rock starts just south of the center, and wrap around to the north.

Inside this rock, which look similar to the rock at the front of TL, is cave entrance to the new Astro Orbiter. The new AO is a dual spinner, both nested into what appears to be craters in the rock. As they spin they rise up out of the rock, at the lower limit they appear to be skimming the rough rim of the craters, at the upper limit they rise high above the craters. The crater the ships rise from glows red and steam flows over the rim as the ride operates. No longer a sit in your ride mates lap ride, the new cars have two rows of two seat. The front seat ideally for kids has the up/down control. The back row, has a pitch and roll control. With two spinners the ride loads more consistently and with the new ride vehicles has 4 times the capacity.

This new Space Terminal building still has a gap between it and the building to the south which is differently themed. They are connected though by a second level exterior walkway, but beneath it is a gate for stage access.

The new building has a "M" shape at the top. The valley in the "M" is in the center so that from the hub you see this lower gap rather than a huge building. Not quite like this house.

Nor like these towers.

But, The Space Terminal has a reflective glass on it's upper elements. It will stand about 90 feet tall at its semi hidden peaks and 50 to 70 feet tall in the middle getting higher toward the back. This is very tall but is to block out site of the hotel rumored to be built soon directly east of this location that can also reach 100 permitted feet in height. The lower part of the building uses roman columns. This technique is often used in futuristic movie designs, classic remains classic and is revived. It is never out dated unlike future design which will eventually be wrong.

This building runs from the southern end of Innovations, reaching north to where the grand stand queue of Autopia is.

The Space Terminal has a second level terrace from the south that wraps around the building all the way to the north rising slowly until it's ramped up to the third level. This is so it can clear the monorail. Then it slopes back down, and enter into rock. Below that terrace walkway is a ground level walkway that is against this building and behind the rock which houses the Astro Orbiters and follows along the building. This inner walkway and second level terrace help carry the massive amount of traffic that will enter and exit this multi attraction building.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

In the Space Terminal we start with the ground floor.

Entering through a cave between and below the Astro Orbiters or from the pathway just outside the real part of the building, you find yourself able to stay on the ground floor, go up elevates for WC access, or up a speed ramp. It's fairly bright and you feel as it you went from a cave in the rocks into and underground facility. Staying on the ground floor you can walk to the back of the building one attractions or go to either side to queue up for another to the south or north.

To the south is Mission Space. Borrowed from Epcot, this modified version doesn't go to Mars, it goes to an unknown planet. It has multiple, destinations just like Star Tours. Being a high G attraction it still has the intense and less intense versions as it does at Epcot. If you have never been on this ride, you are on a launch simulator. You are unnoticeably spun to simulate forces of taking off, acceleration and landing. As you are well strapped into your seat it can pitch a little, and your face is right in front of a small screen that shows you where you are.

Inside the ride vehicle

Outer view of ride vehicle

If you went all the toward the back of the ground floor you would enter the steam punk themed Disneyland Tomorrowland Railroad station.

First floor attractions continued in next post.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-11-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

While on the ground floor of the Space Terminal you go left to the north, you will find yourself the queue to the new Autopia. This attraction is called Rover Trainer. The vehicles are 4 seats in two rows, still with a steering wheel and gas pedal(accelerator). The kids or kid and a parent can sit up from and extra seat in back for adults or parent with small child. But unlike a small car, they are small lunar rovers, like a buggy, jeep or ATV in appearance.

The big difference is these are no longer fully driver controlled or limited by a center rail. They are driven but assisted, by a guide wire under the roadbed, and computer. They can only slow to an idle, cars behind them will slow so they don't bump and can't go off the roadway. The pedal and steering will resist to keep the vehicle on track at the proper speed. Since these cars can be kept from stopping they can load in an omnimover manner allowing for a much smaller loading zone than the current Autopia uses.

You will start off rising to the second floor, do some driving maneuvers, and then be lead outside into the rock terrain north of the building. Here you suddenly are lead into the wild and will follow the scenes from Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo Disney Seas.

But here you are not in the center of the earth, just on an alien landscape. Sometimes you pop out of the caves and see the lagoon next to you, but are mostly inside. This attraction parallels the railroad and monorail toward the north east corner of the park. Sometimes the railroad sees what you do, and sometimes the monorail does, as does a the new people mover attraction. This attraction dually functions as the replacement for the lost primeval scenes of the railroad.

The limited control forces you to at least coast through the calm scenes but rush out of the more intense ones.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-24-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Sondheimian

These are absolutely fantastic ideas. Your creativity and dedication gone into the planning of this is astounding, and I commend you for it. I can't wait to read more.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast