just wanted to share a photo of the attraction and how amazing it looks

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.co...MG_6849-X2.jpg
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Re: Thunder Update

Quote Originally Posted by Estoplover View Post
    This is not good news... The daily announcements for the Westside attractions department now say that BTM opening date is TBA. Yesterday, it said opening date would be Feb 2014.

What I have been told by the cast members who in the Test and Adjust team, is that they are not ready for a Feb opening. They have not even started training for the opening crew, and there are plenty of people that need to be trained. They may have to move the date to March.... Sorry if I ruined any Dreams.
    Might not be bad news. "Feb 2014" is not specific. As the project wraps up they may have change to TBD as the get into the final days of determining the exact re-opening date. Don't panic yet, that TBD may soon change to a specific day in feb. Now if it changes to March 2014, April 2014.... then call it bad. But right now, it might actually be a sign they are about to determine an actually and exact reopening date they are willing to advertise.

my dad is going to be very disappointed, this is his favorite ride.

• Chief Troublemaker

I will be soooo disappointed if this is true!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

The Disneyland website still shows it re-opening on Feb 1st... suppose this will be updated, as they get a better handle on what needs to be done.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I am completely uninformed on this, but why would the training be so extensive? Did every CM who ever worked Big Thunder quit?
    I'd imagine its simple an issue of scale. Turnover in positions is still significant... Since things have changed I'm sure everyone needs new training... Since it's been so long they are required to re-up so to speak... And btmrr uses a big crew... So enough staff to run it 7days a week is a lot of people to get through the training
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• The doctor is in

I will be disappointed if this is true because I've been banking on this ride being open for my trip. However, this CM has been posting these updates and the refurb dates on the websites have yet to change beyond the 31st of January. I feel if things were that bad they wouldn't wait until the last minute to announce another setback.

Of course I'm not ruling out the fact that they could, but given the length of the closure already in addition to the ridiculous amount of closures around the park I don't think they want BTMRR to be closed much longer if they can help it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I don't think it's right to say what they should have done better. You don't know what's setting them back. Unavoidable and unexpected issues turn up. That's the nature of the beast. Give them a break. It will be finished when the job is done.

They have to retrain for a number of reasons. First, the cast members who haven't been operating the attraction for over a year have most likely forgot what to do. Re-training them will give them a refresh on what to do. Also, there's a liklihood that quite a few of the cast members have since left the company or just want to stay at their new post.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

30 Minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I am completely uninformed on this, but why would the training be so extensive? Did every CM who ever worked Big Thunder quit? I'd imagine with changes to the platform and queue that there will be some training to be done there, and with new fall protection guidelines there's new training, but wouldn't that all be kind of small potatoes?
    Big Thunder is being treated as a completely new ride when it comes to training. Just like when Star Tours reopened, every Cast Member has to reapply and get retrained to work on the Mountain. A CM who worked on the mountain pre-refurb isn't guaranteed a spot on the opening team post-refurb. Also, many CM's actually left the resort when BTM went down for refurbishment because that was the only ride that they enjoyed working on. So yes, there is a lot of training to be done when they finally get around to it.
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome." -Walt Disney
    "And that was without even a single drop of rum" -Jack Sparrow

• I'm a Lutheran

Yeah, I'd definitely say to give them a break, even if it has been over a year. You never know what could be going wrong with it. Perhaps it's something that may lead to a possible accident. The more time spent on precautions and technical difficulties, the better.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Heavy Breather

What exactly is causing it to constantly be delayed?

I might be heading out there this summer and it would be nice if it were open when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    just wanted to share a photo of the attraction and how amazing it looks

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.co...MG_6849-X2.jpg

Wow, it does look great a night with the new lighting package. Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to the refurb, didn't the lighting consist of more oranges and reds or am I thinking of Splash and Cadillac Range?
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Wow, it does look great a night with the new lighting package. Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to the refurb, didn't the lighting consist of more oranges and reds or am I thinking of Splash and Cadillac Range?
    it had some purples, but mostly orange and red, for comparison, here's a pic pre-refurb

http://static.squarespace.com/static...pg?format=750w
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    it had some purples, but mostly orange and red, for comparison, here's a pic pre-refurb

http://static.squarespace.com/static...pg?format=750w

I honestly like the old color scheme they had going more than the new one. Maybe they are still working on it a little bit. Besides the cast training, I wonder if everything is physically done inside the show building? The animatronics on the exterior like the goat have returned but I wonder about effects inside, such as a possible re-do of the "Rainbow Caverns" tribute on the first lift hill and the rumored new effects on the third lift.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Sounds like Disney is just full of excuses!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast