Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder Update

• I'm not really here

Re: Thunder Update

It's not the ride system on Seven Dwarfs... it's the fact that they are building in a swamp where the water table is right near ground level. Anything that is going to go below grade or ground must have a concrete "bathtub" built around it to keep ground water out. That takes a good deal of time to build properly, up to code and make sure it is water tight. Only after that is built can actual ride construction start.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I think the difference is that SM was expected to be down that long. IIRC it was always publicized as a 2+ year project. I'll admit that I don't know for sure if it reopened on schedule or not, but it seems to me it did. With BMTRR the reopening date just seems to keep being pushed out further and further. That's the part that's kind of frustrating. The fact that we get our hopes up instead of regarding reopening dates with a healthy dose of skepticism is our own problem, I guess. Of course, 'stuff' happens and Disney's gotta do what they've gotta do to see that BMTRR is up to standards (artistic, mechanical, & safety).
    Well, from what has been rumored, the original plans didn't include all the safety railings and fall safety rails in the planning, and that pushed the timeframe back a bit. There were rumors that the foundation had issues, but those turned out to be unfounded. Still, they've completely rebuilt the ride, and added new show elements, so I'm not shocked this is taking as long as it has.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Maybe there's no money to open it yet.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    That sounds about right. I certainly don't remember Carsland taking this long to complete, just the time for physical construction is what I'm specifically referring to.
    I think Cars Land was about 1.5-2 years. And I feel like Snow White only started 1.5 years-2 years ago on actual construction
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

It would make sense that they try to be as close to full operations on the 14-17 for presidents day holiday weekend. That being said i would bet they get BTMR open before that and POTC, SOC, both stay open until that weekend. Splash is scheduled to be closed, so that is out of the question. As well the SSOC is scheduled to be back that weekend.

More thunder updates.

I posted a thread a few days ago saying that opening date may get pushed back again maybe even march. For the Westside attractions department list says Thunder re opening is TBA.

Let me tell you more of what is going on. Besides that's.

I have been told by the CMs in the test and adjust team for thunder that testing is not ready for a Febuary opening. 5 trains need to be tested, they are still only testing 1 trains. Each train when it comes back from a refurb needs to be cycled for many hours before it can operate with humans on board. The problems is that there is a brand new train cycling through a brand new ride with a brand new ride control system. So many many many bugs need to be worked in order to make both trains an the ride work together. It seems like once we can get one train to cycle trough the attraction enough times correctly, then testing all the other trains will go by much quicker.

Also, since it is a brand new ride control system, a brand new Operating Guide needs to be written. The Testing team have been writing it since testing began but with testing going on and new difficulties popping up while cycling, the Operating Guide is continuously being re-written several times.

Once they do have an Operating guide set, they need to train for an opening crew. All cast members who used to work the attraction before the refurb, lost all their knowledge and have to be retrained on the attraction as if they never worked it before which takes about 4-5 days. There are not that many cast members left who worked the attractions before, this will be mostly a brand new crew, applications and interviews had to be done to be considered to join thunder. And they need to train lots and lots of cast members before they can reopen.

So again, for the Westside attractions CMs, their daily notes say Thunder Opening is TBA, they may need to push back opening to March if things dnt improve. They are still shooting for a Febuary opening. A final decision has not been made which is why the parks website is still sticking to their Feb date.

• Your cadaverous pallor

Disney has worked miracles with magic

• Minion

Re: More thunder updates.

please for the love of walt disney and tony baxter let this be open before the final week of february. As an out of towner it really sucks when you only get to visit once a year or less and your favorite coaster is down for your trip 2 years in a row due to the SAME refurb. One of my biggest hopes is that it is open before I get to DLR this time because I'm trying to erase the memories from my last trip as it was one of my worst ever for a number of reasons 1) I had no idea what to expect during the tink run and mlk last year telling me to avoid rundisney crowds. 2) I went on my first trip with no parents or school affiliation with my now ex, that needs to be removed from memory. 3) 2 of my favorite rides were down being BTMRR and GRR. 4) my first day I had to "take it easy" due to almost passing out and if I went on anything more "thrilling" then POTC I then had to use the restroom (this was caused by a lack of sleep as I'd driven the last 8 hours of a 24 hour drive, and dehydration). 5) I somehow over the course of 5 days didn't get to see Belle (my princess crush) a single time. 6) I was taunted and teased because of my deep love for Captain Jack and I didn't get to see him, but the runners did. Also, not trip related but my ex dumped me on my 21st birthday (mind you she is older, not younger).

Sorry to rant but I'm counting on my 22nd birthday visit to be FAR more satisfying as there are no runs, no holidays, no movie releases, no summer/holiday/spring break crowds, no gf to worry about, and until I saw the BTM threads pop up it all looked like smooth sailing. I even pretty much guaranteed I get to see Belle because my birthday breakfast is at Ariel's Grotto where I'm guessing Belle shows up.

Since you are a CM can you tell me if I have ANY chance of seeing Jack Sparrow if I'm not at the park during wither a run, halloween party, or POTC film release?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

Re: More thunder updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoplover View Post
    I posted a thread a few days ago saying that opening date may get pushed back again maybe even march. For the Westside attractions department list says Thunder re opening is TBA.

Let me tell you more of what is going on. Besides that's.

I have been told by the CMs in the test and adjust team for thunder that testing is not ready for a Febuary opening. 5 trains need to be tested, they are still only testing 1 trains. Each train when it comes back from a refurb needs to be cycled for many hours before it can operate with humans on board. The problems is that there is a brand new train cycling through a brand new ride with a brand new ride control system. So many many many bugs need to be worked in order to make both trains an the ride work together. It seems like once we can get one train to cycle trough the attraction enough times correctly, then testing all the other trains will go by much quicker.

Also, since it is a brand new ride control system, a brand new Operating Guide needs to be written. The Testing team have been writing it since testing began but with testing going on and new difficulties popping up while cycling, the Operating Guide is continuously being re-written several times.

Once they do have an Operating guide set, they need to train for an opening crew. All cast members who used to work the attraction before the refurb, lost all their knowledge and have to be retrained on the attraction as if they never worked it before which takes about 4-5 days. There are not that many cast members left who worked the attractions before, this will be mostly a brand new crew, applications and interviews had to be done to be considered to join thunder. And they need to train lots and lots of cast members before they can reopen.

So again, for the Westside attractions CMs, their daily notes say Thunder Opening is TBA, they may need to push back opening to March if things dnt improve. They are still shooting for a Febuary opening. A final decision has not been made which is why the parks website is still sticking to their Feb date.
    Thanks for the update!

• Chief Troublemaker

I'm wishing (I'm wishing)
    For the ride I love (the ride I love)
    To open (to open)
    On time (on time)!

Drops a coin in Snow White's Wishing Well. Walks away. Sighs. Turns around, walks back and dumps contents of entire wallet in Well, hoping that will help.

Thanks for the update. I think I'm just going to stop reading Thunder update threads. Sigh.

Actually, I'll probably still read them. It's kinda like wiggling a loose tooth. Ya just can't stop yourself, even though it feels yucky. And ya keep hoping the tooth falls out soon.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• I'm not really here

To open (to open)
    On time (on time)!
    Love the song.

Though now you've got me thinking of a cost per minute to open earlier analysis. lol

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

To open (to open)
    On time (on time)!

To open (to open)
    On time (on time)!
    This really made my day!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I don't believe there is an opening date on the sign posted on the construction walls...therefore, the only logical conclusion is that this so called "refurb" is really as scam Disney will never open it again. Sorry, BTMRR and The Subs are going the way of Adventure Thru Inner Space (or not).

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Love the song.

Though now you've got me thinking of a cost per minute to open earlier analysis. lol
    Mycroft, there really wasn't enough money in my wallet to justify a cost per minute analysis.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast