Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Update

Re: Thunder Update

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    How long is the Dwarfs coaster taking in Florida? Doesn't surprise me that BTMRR is taking this long.
    Which makes it impossible to believe that they built this entire park in the same time frame. No roller coasters of course, but still...

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Mycroft, there really wasn't enough money in my wallet to justify a cost per minute analysis.
    Yeah, me either. But I'm a nerd like that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Re: More thunder updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    please for the love of walt disney and tony baxter let this be open before the final week of february. As an out of towner it really sucks when you only get to visit once a year or less and your favorite coaster is down for your trip 2 years in a row due to the SAME refurb. One of my biggest hopes is that it is open before I get to DLR this time because I'm trying to erase the memories from my last trip as it was one of my worst ever for a number of reasons 1) I had no idea what to expect during the tink run and mlk last year telling me to avoid rundisney crowds. 2) I went on my first trip with no parents or school affiliation with my now ex, that needs to be removed from memory. 3) 2 of my favorite rides were down being BTMRR and GRR. 4) my first day I had to "take it easy" due to almost passing out and if I went on anything more "thrilling" then POTC I then had to use the restroom (this was caused by a lack of sleep as I'd driven the last 8 hours of a 24 hour drive, and dehydration). 5) I somehow over the course of 5 days didn't get to see Belle (my princess crush) a single time. 6) I was taunted and teased because of my deep love for Captain Jack and I didn't get to see him, but the runners did. Also, not trip related but my ex dumped me on my 21st birthday (mind you she is older, not younger).

Sorry to rant but I'm counting on my 22nd birthday visit to be FAR more satisfying as there are no runs, no holidays, no movie releases, no summer/holiday/spring break crowds, no gf to worry about, and until I saw the BTM threads pop up it all looked like smooth sailing. I even pretty much guaranteed I get to see Belle because my birthday breakfast is at Ariel's Grotto where I'm guessing Belle shows up.

Since you are a CM can you tell me if I have ANY chance of seeing Jack Sparrow if I'm not at the park during wither a run, halloween party, or POTC film release?

I understand exactly how you feel. the end of feb will be our 6th trip from AZ with BTMRR being down if the refurb is not done yet. this is my fiances favorite ride and our entire first day morning plans consist of riding this ride as many times as possible.

•   

I heard the coin was slow to come out of the Mickey bank slot for the BTM overhaul. Wouldn't surprise me if operators were given a choice after the close down and some left. I still see things they need to be complete and things that need to be corrected.

• Hukuna Matata!

It will be worth the wait

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    It will be worth the wait
    One can hope that WDI has done a good job during that time, with that kind of a delay in refurb, I think a lot of Disney fans have high expectations now
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Also to me it does seem a little crazy that the BTMRR refurb has taken so much longer then when they did a similar refurb on Matterhorn which is a much older attraction.
    The Matterhorn refurb was not really like the Thunder refurb. The Matterhorn got a new set of bobsleds and they tweaked the ride control system a bit, but it still maintained its track and infrastructure. Thunder had its entire track torn out and replaced, is getting a brand new set of trains, and is getting a brand new ride control system. Thunder's refurb is much more analogous to Space's April 2003 - July 2005 refurb, where the entire track was also replaced. We should be thankful that Thunder will not be closed 2+ years.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Which makes it impossible to believe that they built this entire park in the same time frame. No roller coasters of course, but still...
    It is still unbelievable that Disneyland was built in the time frame that it was, but I thought Casey Jr. opened as a "roller coaster-ish" attraction before being closed and refined into what we have today shortly afterward.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    It is still unbelievable that Disneyland was built in the time frame that it was, but I thought Casey Jr. opened as a "roller coaster-ish" attraction before being closed and refined into what we have today shortly afterward.
    Its easy to do a lot of little projects in parallel. The extreme complexity of modern attractions makes it impressive that Disney can literally build mountains in a year or so.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Let's not pretend that everything was ready to go by opening day. There's a reason it was called "Black Sunday". Hell, Tomorrowland was basically a mashup of corporate-sponsored booths, rather than attractions. It was a rush job, and the results weren't exactly stellar.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    It's original conception was as a roller coaster, but I'm pretty sure it opened as the sedate ride it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Let's not pretend that everything was ready to go by opening day. There's a reason it was called "Black Sunday". Hell, Tomorrowland was basically a mashup of corporate-sponsored booths, rather than attractions. It was a rush job, and the results weren't exactly stellar.
    Not to mention different building materials, methods, laws, regulations, inspections, etc, etc. 6o years on, it is a very different world when it comes to construction. Disneyland Paris took significantly longer even.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    lol, I'm not pretending. But the park DID open. Just sayin

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

My thoughts (frustration) with this is the DL website is showing the refurb ending on Feb 1st. If the refurb is so up in the air, and so much work is still to be done, why not just keep the ride on refurb until they know for certain? Better to under-promise and over-deliver. Wouldnt you rather have people see think the ride was scheduled to be closed, but when they got to the park was surprised that it was opened instead of having them think the ride will be open, book a weekend, then find out that it was closed?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnRider View Post
    My thoughts (frustration) with this is the DL website is showing the refurb ending on Feb 1st. If the refurb is so up in the air, and so much work is still to be done, why not just keep the ride on refurb until they know for certain? Better to under-promise and over-deliver. Wouldnt you rather have people see think the ride was scheduled to be closed, but when they got to the park was surprised that it was opened instead of having them think the ride will be open, book a weekend, then find out that it was closed?
    I agree. If they are going to delay this further, they should stop pushing the reopening date later and just make the refurb indefinite.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The problem with constantly under-promising is that people will start to expect that. I've seen people get mad when soft openings weren't offered as early on a project as they had been in the past. At the end of the day they should try and stick to the plan and schedule. If issues arise, they should extend the closure, but nobody will disagree that Disney's communication system is bad and needs to be more reliable.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast