Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Visualizing StarWarsland (and Frozen)

Not long ago MiceAge reported the attractions being considered for converting Tomorrowland to a Star Wars-themed area. I based the plan below on those rumors in order to visualize the sort of thing that may be in store.

STAR WARS GALAXY
    With the peoplemover track removed, the main boulevard becomes a StarWars-ian cityscape, with numerous sci-fi architectural facades, setbacks and towers. I don’t think it was rumored, but for the land to become Star Wars, it would seem something would need to be done to Buzz Lightyear (as unlikely as that seems). I imagine the best option would be to re-dress it to a kid-friendly ride set in the SW universe (maybe based on the animated TV shows). The explorable Falcon sits atop the old Starjets platform, as rumored. The new Cantina takes up all of the footprint of the TL Terrace, moving the Jedi Training show towards the Hub, replacing the M&G area there now (TL’s equivalent of the Fantasy Faire). Don't think this last part was in the report.

The major addition to the land is a motorbike launch coaster themed to the Endor Forest (the many large, beautiful trees currently adorning Autopia were, I assume, the reason for this concept, and, hopefully, will somehow be built-around, versus cut down, if this ever comes to pass). Since speeder bikes involve chases, I made this an intertwined, dueling coaster – a terrain-hugging cousin to Dueling Dragon – with caverns, AT-AT and bunker. There is a walkthrough Ewok village as well (not rumored, as I recall).

VESTIGIAL TOMORROWLAND
    In the process of drawing this, it occurred that there was little point in attempting to convert the popular Space Mountain so it could inhabit the SW universe (Star Tours already covers a space adventure in this world), so I kept this area as close to “Classic Tomorrowland” as possible. There’s a new monorail station (much shortened loop), and a Pedestrian Walkway over the backstage area to Town Square (allowing crowds to dissipate).

FROZEN
    Since there is a lot of hoopla surrounding the success of ‘Frozen’, I added an addition to Fantasyland carved out of the Motorboat area. It would have storybook facades (but more Nordic in style) and house a M&G, restaurant, and gliding LPS darkride.

I added a couple of personal, original attractions in Frontierland and Critter Country to complete the 'build-out' of the park.

It will be interesting to see the specifics of what WDI has planned if the project moves forward.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 01-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Visualizing StarWarsland (and Frozen)

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I added a couple of personal, original attractions in Frontierland and Critter Country to complete the 'build-out' of the park.

Why would that complete the build out?

I would bet money that in the future Anaheim will be following the path Hong Kong is doing now. Build around the berm, ringing the outside of ROA.

I far more appreciate the idea of keeping some Tomorrowland rather than replacing it all with a movie IP. The overpass is a fine idea too. I could see it being an alley into the alley which may run parallel to MS. But it would need to be wide, as the MS rush to Space is bad now, it could be worse as shortcut to Space and Endor.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Down Pluto!

Nice artwork - but no.
    No Star Wars build out necessary nor wanted. Build a third gate rather than destroy a land that just needs some work.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Nice artwork - but no.
    No Star Wars build out necessary nor wanted. Build a third gate rather than destroy a land that just needs some work.
    this

This. I don't mind Star Wars being in the land, I don't mind Avengers being in there, I just don't want to see the land limited to only those. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Nice artwork - but no.
    Agreed
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

I love the new ideas except for the Star Wars overlay and the tales of the forest dark ride sounds interesting more details maybe ?

• dl159

I love this visual but I still hope Disney does not go ahead with Star Wars and saves it for the 3rd Park. I love how open Tomorrowland looks in the picture though. Also if Disney does decide to take out Autopia, instead of expanding Tomorrowland onto that land, they should create something similar to New Fantacyland in WDW in that area. Since Little Mermaid is already in DCA, Frozen already pictured in this visual would be a great substitute. And if they do take out the subs, I hope they keep the lagoon. It really gives the area a great atmosphere.

• curiouser and curiouser

All this talk about a 3rd park... It's not happening anytime soon and in the meantime TL is in dire need of a facelift. Whatever they decide to do, it should be something that won't feel dated in 5 years, and imho the current "tomorrow" concept is not working so they need to come up with something something drastically different, which is why I'm in favor of letting Star Wars take over most of Tomorrowland.

• Certified in everything

I love your build-outs. Most intrigued here by the pedestrian overpass into Tomorrowland. What is the reason for including that?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

If they flush Nemo and keep the lagoon, it could use some theming. Don't worry nothing major happens to the lagoon itself. We could make the lagoon part of Fantasyland and make it some sort of revival of the old Little Mermaid meet-and-greet that was replaced by Pixie Hollow. The queue gets torn out and in go some walls. These walls could be painted some sort of blue-ish color as to fit with the 'underwater' theme and to fit the rest of Tomorrowland. As for Pixie Hollow (bear with me here, it gets a little drastic) we switch Peter Pan's Flight and Snow White's Scary Adventure. Then Tink and her pals move into the building where the Frozen meet-and-greet is now. Now, I know, I'm crazy to think that attractions can trade buildings just like that. That was just some VERY open minded thinking. My much, much simpler plan B was to just get rid of Pixie Hollow and make that area part of Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    All this talk about a 3rd park... It's not happening anytime soon and in the meantime TL is in dire need of a facelift. Whatever they decide to do, it should be something that won't feel dated in 5 years, and imho the current "tomorrow" concept is not working so they need to come up with something something drastically different, which is why I'm in favor of letting Star Wars take over most of Tomorrowland.
    My thoughts exactly.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Really nice job. Thanks for sharing!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    ...Whatever they decide to do, it should be something that won't feel dated in 5 years...
    Oh, like Star Wars? It is nearly older than Space Mountain. It doesn't matter that they are making new sequels - Star Wars IS DATED and it is past its prime. If it is worthy of investing billions in new sequels - it should be worthy of its own gate...dated or not.

Tomorrowland should be about OUR tomorrow - not the tomorrow of a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Future Imagineer

Out of curiosity Randy, what program do you use for your artwork (it looks better than my Paint layouts)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast