Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Characters... Why are some so hard to find?

Ok guys, I'm confused, if Disney has characters that they know they can bring out on any day and get a line up to meet why do they leave them off the roster so often. For instance, why are Jack and Sally only out Sept-December?? Why is Jack Sparrow only out for special events and movie releases?? I've wanted to meet Jack Sparrow ever since the first movie came out and every time I've been there since he has been eluding me. As someone who lives far away it really kinda bites that every time I go I can count on meeting Alice and the Hatter, Mary Poppins, Mickey and friends, and the princesses, but I can never find my favorite pirate, the Beast, and other characters. Also, if Disney has characters show up in multiple shows/parades, why not offer meet and greets with them as well? I see the Beast in Fantasmic every trip, but haven't gotten a photo with him since I was a little guy. I think that as of right now, Vader, Beast, and Jack Sparrow are the top of my list for most desirable characters to get a photo with that I know COULD show up for a meet and greet but only seem to do shows/special events.

Thoughts??
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Re: Characters... Why are some so hard to find?

I've seen beast with belle during valentines day and jack and Sally only come those months because of halloween and christmas and I've only seen jack sparrow on the internet and idk when darth vader meets guest

• Minion

It can be a mixture of casting problems and how popular a character is. The Mickey and friends and Princesses are insanely popular so you will just about always be able to meet them.

Jack Sparrow can be difficult to cast but he is still a popular character. He is getting pulled from Disneyland Paris soon (or maybe already has been) so is likely not a problem specifically to Disneyland in California. Another problem with him is that women can get a little erm excited over him too.

There is budgets for characters and adding one will often cause a different one, who is most likely to be more popular with the average guest, to be taken away.

My experience is more so with Disneyland Paris but at Halloween when the villains are out, other characters who regularly appear become harder to find. The average Disneyland guest would probably prefer to meet Alice, Mary Poppins or Peter Pan over Jack and Sally.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, Disney knows which ones are more popular, and so they put out the most popular, then the next most popular, then the next, etc. based on how busy they expect it to be. And Disney knows that certain characters are more popular at certain times of year (villains during Halloween, for example). I've heard specific rumors about Jack Sparrow that Disney removed him from the park because women were acting very inapproprately with him, but I have no idea how true those are.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, Disney knows which ones are more popular, and so they put out the most popular, then the next most popular, then the next, etc. based on how busy they expect it to be. And Disney knows that certain characters are more popular at certain times of year (villains during Halloween, for example). I've heard specific rumors about Jack Sparrow that Disney removed him from the park because women were acting very inapproprately with him, but I have no idea how true those are.
    the odd thing is I called DL guest services yesterday afternoon and explained how Jack has been ever elusive and the CM I spoke with said that when I'm there it is possible I might find him either on TSI, or in NOS
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

I've never understood why Disneyland loves having the two female mice from Cinderella around (they often appear at the plaza Inn character breakfast and in the Festival Arena), but you never see the more popular male mice: Jaq and Gus Gus.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I've never understood why Disneyland loves having the two female mice from Cinderella around (they often appear at the plaza Inn character breakfast and in the Festival Arena), but you never see the more popular male mice: Jaq and Gus Gus.
    Their costumes pose challenges from an integrity standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Ok guys, I'm confused, if Disney has characters that they know they can bring out on any day and get a line up to meet why do they leave them off the roster so often. For instance, why are Jack and Sally only out Sept-December?? Why is Jack Sparrow only out for special events and movie releases?? I've wanted to meet Jack Sparrow ever since the first movie came out and every time I've been there since he has been eluding me. As someone who lives far away it really kinda bites that every time I go I can count on meeting Alice and the Hatter, Mary Poppins, Mickey and friends, and the princesses, but I can never find my favorite pirate, the Beast, and other characters. Also, if Disney has characters show up in multiple shows/parades, why not offer meet and greets with them as well? I see the Beast in Fantasmic every trip, but haven't gotten a photo with him since I was a little guy. I think that as of right now, Vader, Beast, and Jack Sparrow are the top of my list for most desirable characters to get a photo with that I know COULD show up for a meet and greet but only seem to do shows/special events.

Thoughts??
    Vader meets when Jedi Training gets rained out - Ive seen it happen twice.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by asianway View Post
    Their costumes pose challenges from an integrity standpoint.
    How exactly? They seem okay to me

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    MORE popular? Perla and Suzy are possibly my most favorite characters in the park!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• I'm not really here

Ask at City Hall first thing in the morning when you get to the park. They can let you know where and when characters will be so you aren't hunting.

Not all characters are always out. Scheduling, casting, popularity.

Jack Sparrow had all kinds of problems with women giving him their phone numbers, grabbing his butt, etc. So they don't put him out very often any more.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Ask at City Hall first thing in the morning when you get to the park. They can let you know where and when characters will be so you aren't hunting.

Not all characters are always out. Scheduling, casting, popularity.

Jack Sparrow had all kinds of problems with women giving him their phone numbers, grabbing his butt, etc. So they don't put him out very often any more.

Question: We often see Sully from Monsters over at DCA posing for pix - a very popular character. However, there is no Mike W. We figured that is probably because they couldn't design a convincing costume for a CM to wear to be Mike (skinny legs and all).
    Any ideas how they could manage to do that?
    Name:  889925-monstersinc_sully_mike.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  84.7 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post

Question: We often see Sully from Monsters over at DCA posing for pix - a very popular character. However, there is no Mike W. We figured that is probably because they couldn't design a convincing costume for a CM to wear to be Mike (skinny legs and all).
    Any ideas how they could manage to do that?
    Name:  889925-monstersinc_sully_mike.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  84.7 KB
    Maybe a bit like this

Name:  24-hours-disney-open.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  101.7 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Maybe a bit like this

Name:  24-hours-disney-open.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  101.7 KB
    Where/when was this?!!! Is that just a CM with really little skinny legs?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Where/when was this?!!! Is that just a CM with really little skinny legs?
    Mike meets regularly in WDW. He also met at DCA when Monsters University first came out and has been in shows at both Disneyland Paris and WDW. If you Google image search 'Disneyland Mike Wazowski' you can find more photos of him. Haha yes it's a small cast member with thin legs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast