Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World of Color Returns

So the normal showed returned last night after taking a break for Winter Dreams. For whatever reason only one show was scheduled with resulted in horribly crowded conditions even in the preferred viewing areas. When the show started one projector kept playing Brave. They got to the Under the Sea segment before they finally turned that projector off and then finally ended up stopping the show during the Finding Nemo segment. After a short delay (during which a LOT of people left) the show restarted at the Wall-E segment and ran without any other noticeable problems.

Some notes:
    - the CA Screamin lights from Winter Dreams are not used
    - there seemed to be some minor changes to pacing, although I think some were made before Winter Dreams
    - there were supposed to be some minor improvements that were done during the short time the show was down between Winter Dreams and last night. I didn't notice anything in particular but the show did feel different somehow. Maybe the show stopping in the middle threw me off.
    Last edited by clippers6; 01-18-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Typo bugged me

Re: World of Color Returns

There was a projector upgrade which I believe went 4K. Also, the night before WoC reopened, I grabbed the screenshot below from the live mattercam. They were testing the lighting on the Screamin' structure so I assumed it was going in as an addition. I was quite surprised when I heard that they weren't added. Hopefully they're working on it...

Name:  rsz_21untitled.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  86.9 KB

I really hoped they would replace Brave with Frozen or add some new effects. Or even shorten the Pirates segment and bring back Cherny... Wishful thinking I guess

• #bringevilback

I really hoped they were going to use the lights on Screamin...I could have sworn there were official statements about that! I was thinking of going last night but when they only had one show I decided it wasn't going to be worth it, especially with all APs valid and a "holiday" weekend.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

People on twitter are saying the projection upgrades are spectacular.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I was at the first show as well (Friday night). I believe the Winter Dreams effects will be used, but they were either not ready by that show or the multiple technical difficulties that showed up got in the way. clippers6 is right, one of the new projectors got stuck showing a Brave title card until halfway through, and then the show was stopped and restarted mid-way through. Mickey's Fun Wheel also didn't start with the show (it stayed on an orange pattern) and it didn't rejoin the show till Aladdin.

However multiple things lead me to believe that the Winter Dreams lights will be used:
    * The new lights on either side of the lagoon (near Screamin and near the Swings/Zephyr) were all working and choreographed for the show, so some elements of Winter Dreams were incorporated already.
    * The Fun Wheel had new patterns during the finale, which I would guess are meant to line up with new patterns from the lights.
    * Some of the Screamin LED's were flickering on and off before the show (I had an hour to kill waiting for a spot and I noticed some of the ones on the west-most curve were fading on and off occasionally).

To comment on the changes for the show post-refurb... the new projectors are BEAUTIFUL! Crystal-clear and bright! I noticed things in the film I had never seen before, particularly on the sides of the main, lagoon-wide mist screen. The flamethrowers also seemed to be more on-cue last night, hitting their marks more accurately. The lasers also seemed brighter, but that may have been a trick of the wind blowing the water mist.

So I believe that we will see Winter Dreams lights in WoC, just maybe not quite yet. Another theory I heard from somebody is that the WoC team may be waiting for Steve Davison to return from his Shanghai/Hong Kong trip to receive the final "OK" on the new effects.

EDIT > Forgot to mention, the show content is identical from what it was pre-Winter Dreams. Full Brave segment, and only Pirates after Little April Showers.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    * The new lights on either side of the lagoon (near Screamin and near the Swings/Zephyr) were all working and choreographed for the show, so some elements of Winter Dreams were incorporated already.
    Are you talking about the light masts that rise out from the rocks? Those were always part of the show. Were they re-choreographed?

Name:  rsz_screenshot_2014-01-18-23-52-38.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  111.4 KB
    Last edited by DonaldMissingPants; 01-19-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Okay, just got back from seeing World of Color. First off, I can attest to the much improved projectors. They are crystal clear! I can see the fine details of the projections and I noticed details that I haven't noticed before (after seeing the show 20+ times).

I don't know if it was because I was standing somewhere different today but I think the lasers may have been tweaked across the board.

And World of Color still seems to be suffering a few hiccups. After the Pirates segment, one of the isopar flamethrowers didn't shut off and was launching flames throughout the entire Lion King segment.

Name:  rsz_img_20140119_220716.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  rsz_img_20140119_220802.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  69.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    Are you talking about the light masts that rise out from the rocks? Those were always part of the show. Were they re-choreographed?

Name:  rsz_screenshot_2014-01-18-23-52-38.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  111.4 KB
    There are other ones (that I unfortunately don't have pictures of) that were installed for Winter Dreams. One is situated over near the Screamin station/Cove Bar area, and one is on (I think) the Swings platform. It's a relatively simple setup of spotlights (maybe 3 pointed up and 3 pointed toward the platform?) that literally looks like it was just mounted onto the platform.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• dl159

Does anyone know is these new projectors were added prior to Winter Dreams or were these projectors installed in the refurbishment? I remember reading that Winter Dreams had updated projections as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DLR159 View Post
    Does anyone know is these new projectors were added prior to Winter Dreams or were these projectors installed in the refurbishment? I remember reading that Winter Dreams had updated projections as well.
    I've heard from various sources that these were indeed installed after Winter Dreams, during the refurb. We would have noticed the projector quality upgrade

• Disneyland AP

I was really hoping for the original (non Brave, or Pirates 4) version back. Oh well...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    I was really hoping for the original (non Brave, or Pirates 4) version back. Oh well...
    same

• A Suitcase & A Dream

I really thought they were going to add "Let it Go" since Frozen is so popular.

• Semi Back

I was hoping we'd see the original Villain and pirates scenes returned, Brave seems way too outdated now

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    I really thought they were going to add "Let it Go" since Frozen is so popular.
    That what I thought too, is that they would replace Brave with a some song from Frozen, "Let it Go" makes sense since they did program it for Winter Dreams and all they would need to do is transfer that segment over.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast