Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One of the most illusive figures in Disneyland history - The Giant Squid

Since the Submarine Voyage was announced as a returning attraction in 2005, I have searched the internet for information on the classic ride, mainly looking for pictures and interviews about the ride. Very rarely will I come across new information on the attraction...

The sister attraction of the Submarine Voyage in Florida is the more documented of the siblings, probably largely due in part to the fact that it was not only superior, but because the ride featured the climatic finish with a Giant Squid encounter. The fact that the squid featured so prominently in the Florida version has made it damn near impossible to find ANY information about it's older sibling in Anaheim. The pictures I have come across are grainy videos from the ride showing a murky eye, a picture of Walt grasping a tentacle of our shy friend, and a lone piece of concept art displayed in the Disney Gallery. In fact, our elusive friend has become even rarer than the real creature it is modeled after! But that has all changed. Today I have come across what I now consider to be the holy grail of Anaheim Squidom. The only thing that will possibly top this photo is video of our friend in decaying shape, taken after the drainage of the lagoon in 2005.

As I find myself surrounded by passionate Disney lovers, I figured it was worth it to create a thread showcasing this, rather than it getting lost in the thread about the current refurbishment. I would like to share my find with all of you sailors and present to you this fantastic photo...

What Big Arms You Have . . . and So Many | Modern Mechanix

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: One of the most illusive figures in Disneyland history - The Giant Squid

I had totally forgotten it even existed until you posted, so thanks! Used to scare the bejeebers out of me when I was a kid.

I really don't remember seeing this as an adult, but then the subs weren't a 'must ride' once I became a teen. When did the squid 'disappear' from the ride?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I had totally forgotten it even existed until you posted, so thanks! Used to scare the bejeebers out of me when I was a kid.

I really don't remember seeing this as an adult, but then the subs weren't a 'must ride' once I became a teen. When did the squid 'disappear' from the ride?
    I never rode the old ride, but didn't it stay in the storyline all the way up until the closing of the subs in the 90s?
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Disneymom

thank you for posting. Loved the picture.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    I never rode the old ride, but didn't it stay in the storyline all the way up until the closing of the subs in the 90s?

That's what I can't remember. I was a Disneyland regular up until '87 when I moved, then was an infrequent visitor when the kids were growing up until the last few years when I started visiting more frequently as a 'grown up kid'.

I can remember seeing the sea serpent clearly as a child and as an adult, but for some reason I just don't remember seeing the squid as an adult.

Ha, that sounds funny. As if I'm talking about watching the sea serpent and squid growing up.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

From the same website is a great three part interview with Walt Disney spanning about 50 pages with some GREAT shots of Disneyland.

The Magic Worlds of Walt Disney: Part 1 | Modern Mechanix

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I went to disneyland since I was a little kid up until 1991 which began a hiatus until 2005. I remember the submarine voyage in the 80's and dont remember a giant squid being there. However I do remember it being in 20,000 leagues in florida which I do miss dearly from those days. Granted I remember reading somewhere that way back in the days of the movie itself there was
    an exhibit for 20,000 leagues which had included one of the tentacles from the giant squid in it. I'll have to find that piece I read and see about trying to post it here.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Minion

Wasn't there also a giant sea serpent that was REALLY long and it seemed (to a kid) to take forever to pass by? Usually by the end people were laughing because it was so long.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Wasn't there also a giant sea serpent that was REALLY long and it seemed (to a kid) to take forever to pass by? Usually by the end people were laughing because it was so long.
    There definitely was! I remember that as well and how much it cracked me up with those eyes hahahahaha
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Minion

The serpent is seen at 3:40 in this video:
    Disneyland Anaheim 1994 - Submarine Voyage - YouTube

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I feel sadness when I saw that photo. I don't know why. I wish it could have survived time itself and forever displayed in a museum on Main Street.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Parking Lot > DCA

Can anyone link the photo of the decaying 2005 squid?

• failure for lunch

It was there until the ride shut down. Very little had changed from when the ride first opened to when it was shut down. That was the only problem with the ride: no updates.

Awesome picture by the way.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Can anyone link the photo of the decaying 2005 squid?
    Found this in an old MC thread, but it looks like the squid was already on the 'junk pile'. Post #39.

The Best Submarine Voyage Video I've Seen!

• Lurker

[edit] Ok, my instinct was that it was a picture of the squid from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea walkthrough, but comparing the pictures, now I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by matman730; 01-19-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast