Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Nasty comments to disabled guests, from other guests.

"A lion does not lose sleep over the opinion of a sheep."
    - Unknown Author

It is sad how the few that abused GAC have created skepticism in the general public. Some people are just ignorant, just ignore them and enjoy the rest of your day. It is sad that one bad interaction can turn your day upside-down.

• "Always On The Move..."

I had something happen to me this just this Friday. In Oct I broke my ankle in two places (at a hotel while at Disneyland actually). I just got off of crutches a couple of weeks ago and this week was my first week back at work, "walking." My surgeon gave me a temporary handicapped plaquard and told me to use it. I teach and my classroom is the absolutely furthest out. We have a small country school and the two handicapped spots are directly in front of the office. In the 12 years I have been there I have NEVER seen them used, not even once. So it's not like I'm taking someone else's space. In the morning I walk fairly well, but by the end of the day my ankle feels weak, unstable, and aches. I've been using the handicapped spot all week as it saves me about another block worth of walking. Well, at the end of the day on Friday, another teacher yells out at me while I'm getting into my car. "Hey....what do you think your doing? You don't need that. Leave it for someone who is really handicapped!" He screamed it from across the way. I felt horrible. I don't intend to use it for the entire length of time I have it available. In fact I was hoping that my ankle will feel well enough in the next two weeks that I can walk further without pain. But that just gnawed at me. Made me feel like dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I was actually verbally attacked by a nasty man a few years ago when I was using a scooter. He knew I didn't need it because he "saw me walk". I was really upset because I tried to explain and he got really insulting, swearing and everything. If that happened now I would not get into it with anyone, because they really aren't interested in listening and finding out what the facts are. I simply do not understand how in this day and age people can be so stupid as to not be able to remember that there are many disabilities which do not show. For example, everyone has heard of heart trouble, but they seem to forget that it exists when they see someone in a chair or ECV at DL. In fact, I think the majority of problems that cause people to rent scooters and even wheelchairs are hidden. Also, people's needs can be complicated. I have a disease where I have to be careful not to stress my joints,but I also need to do some walking or my joints will seize up. I would like to say, though, that there are many considerate people who help me when I'm on a scooter, whether it's making way for me or picking up something I've dropped. Many people even apologize for getting in my way, when actually it's me who has gotten in their way.I would like to publicly thank these people for making me feel like a human being, because disabilities can be very isolating and dehumanizing.

Fluffy Club Member

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    She is just being ignorant. She'll eventually understand what it is like to have limited abilities as she ages.
    Agreed.

It's always unfortunate to hear about strangers being blatantly rude to people for no reason.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Disneyland Dreamer

A great pirate put it best....

"Sticks and Stones, Love...."

Who cares what people say. Words are just words. They hold no power unless you give them power. Ignore them and stay in your happy place.

• formerly very helpful

I'm sorry this happened to you. The lesson I'm finally learning after many, MANY years of getting angry is that people who make ignorant, hurtful comments are saying more about themselves than about anything else. I know it's hard to let it go, but remember there are lot more people on your side than you realize.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    I had something happen to me this just this Friday. In Oct I broke my ankle in two places (at a hotel while at Disneyland actually). I just got off of crutches a couple of weeks ago and this week was my first week back at work, "walking." My surgeon gave me a temporary handicapped plaquard and told me to use it. I teach and my classroom is the absolutely furthest out. We have a small country school and the two handicapped spots are directly in front of the office. In the 12 years I have been there I have NEVER seen them used, not even once. So it's not like I'm taking someone else's space. In the morning I walk fairly well, but by the end of the day my ankle feels weak, unstable, and aches. I've been using the handicapped spot all week as it saves me about another block worth of walking. Well, at the end of the day on Friday, another teacher yells out at me while I'm getting into my car. "Hey....what do you think your doing? You don't need that. Leave it for someone who is really handicapped!" He screamed it from across the way. I felt horrible. I don't intend to use it for the entire length of time I have it available. In fact I was hoping that my ankle will feel well enough in the next two weeks that I can walk further without pain. But that just gnawed at me. Made me feel like dirt.
    If you want to make a stink, that is actionable - Go after the other teacher for 'Creating a hostile work environment' and if the District doesn't back you up you can include them in the complaint.

The decision whether you need to use the Handicapped space is Yours and your Doctor's only. The other teacher has no standing to make the decision.
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Minion

THANK YOU so much for all of the wonderful, supportive comments everyone has left here. I really appreciate them. I wish I could give you all a hug.

And it's hard to read that this has happened to others, too - and that they've had experiences that were even more hostile. RemainSeatedPlz87, DL Lover in LA, AlohaStitch, lady3jane ,I am so sorry to read about what all of you have been through. Disneyland is supposed to be a happy and friendly place - and it's horrible when one feels under attack there.

I had a similar experience when I was in Disneyland in 2007. I am pretty obese (due to medication) but otherwise look like a normal healthy human being. You wouldn't even notice my dissabilities if you weren't actually looking out for them. I have OCD and Tourette Syndrome with anxiety and depression. Back when you were able to go the the front of the line by getting a special pass that let's the CM's know that you are disabled. My parents and I would get such rude looks and people would say under their breath about how come fat people get special priviledges. I do have a hard time waiting in lines and being around people, but that doesn't stop me from having fun. What really bothers me is that DL got rid of that right due to scam artists hiring disabled people and paying them for the sole purpose to go in fron tof the lines.

It seems to me that the rude guest is the one with the handicap. Lacking compassion and not knowing when to keep your nasty comments to yourself can disable any attempt at being a respectable human being. If I was in earshot of you explaining your disability to the CM, I would have politely apologized for listening in on your conversation, and then offer you an arm or hand to hold as you navigate the stairs.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's been most enlightening to read the experiences of those of you with hidden handicaps. I'm truly sorry that you've had to endure such painful verbal attacks from the ignorant types who share this planet with the rest of us. It's an epidemic that won't go away. You see this type of behavior all over the place. Too many people take some sort of perverted joy in verbally bashing others.

ORWEN: It's because they're just plain mean--evil. It wouldn't matter if they did know the truth about your condition because they'd find something else to complain about.

ORDDU: The best thing to do is to ignore them and not respond. Some of these awful people actually hope you will respond so it gives them an opening to continue their bad behavior and in some cases it can lead to violence. Fortunately there still are good people in the world who do have compassion for others.

ORGOCH: In the meantime, don't judge a witch by her broomstick!!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    If you want to make a stink, that is actionable - Go after the other teacher for 'Creating a hostile work environment' and if the District doesn't back you up you can include them in the complaint.

The decision whether you need to use the Handicapped space is Yours and your Doctor's only. The other teacher has no standing to make the decision.
    Thanks Bruce! If it continues I will definitely file a complaint. I had to go back to work on crutches originally and my Superintendent bent over backwards to make it as easy as possible for me. I was driven to work for the first three weeks, so parking in the handicapped space was minimal. But this on Friday really took me by surprise.

And to everybody else, thank you for sharing your stories and I'm so sorry you all went through the things you did. I've had family members with hidden disabilities, so I never took anyone at face value that was using a GAC. I always assumed that there was a legit reason. Still do.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You have to assume there's a legit reason - unless they refute it themselves. Like the kids at the Park telling their friend "Hey, renting a wheelchair was a great idea! We cut an hour off the wait! Now swap off, and I'll push you to the next ride..."

Willpower is: Not going over there, punching them both out, and confiscating the wheelchair.

Same thing with finding out half the UCLA and USC Football Team has fake HCA Placards for their cars. And a lot of Limo Drivers have them, too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, this subject has taught me a good lesson. Next time I'm tempted to think badly about somebody who appears to be healthier than they really are, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Let God judge them instead of me.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

As strange as this may sound, they say these things about our family as well. My daughter has obvious visible disabilities. She has limited times that she can enjoy attractions. We have only ever used the passes if she needed them at that moment. In fact, we have a family policy, we never say "Show me the front of the line". We show the pass and ask, "Where would you like us to wait?" Even then, we here comments of how "lucky" we are to get to the front of the line or that we don't have to wait.
    Yes we are blessed. We get to share life with a remarkable human being who has never known malice or jealousy or hate. It is those people who can't just enjoy the moment. Like my older daughter said "Who cares if you have to wait? You are IN DISNEYLAND!!" :-)
    AlohaStitch, You would be surprised at the things said to us, even after seeing us unload a pediatric wheelchair and a disabled child. I've been told we don't need it because SHE doesn't drive.
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast