Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Nasty comments to disabled guests, from other guests.

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Why were the back row seats all bloody? Did you kill someone while you were back there??
    Shhhh! They can't prove I did it!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    As strange as this may sound, they say these things about our family as well. My daughter has obvious visible disabilities. She has limited times that she can enjoy attractions. We have only ever used the passes if she needed them at that moment. In fact, we have a family policy, we never say "Show me the front of the line". We show the pass and ask, "Where would you like us to wait?" Even then, we here comments of how "lucky" we are to get to the front of the line or that we don't have to wait.
    Yes we are blessed. We get to share life with a remarkable human being who has never known malice or jealousy or hate. It is those people who can't just enjoy the moment. Like my older daughter said "Who cares if you have to wait? You are IN DISNEYLAND!!" :-)
    AlohaStitch, You would be surprised at the things said to us, even after seeing us unload a pediatric wheelchair and a disabled child. I've been told we don't need it because SHE doesn't drive.
    People are just...wow. Questioning a handicapped placard even when they SEE a child with a disability and a wheelchair? I don't get people sometimes.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I wouldn't be questioning the placard at a time like that, I'm not a fool. BUT I see a lot of "I have Grandma's Pass and I need to run (literally...) into the market and grab a few things..."

I've sat in front of a market with every HCA Space full /and all the cars didn't have placards or plates/ and I'm on the cellphone calling the cops every fifteen minutes for three hours begging them to send out a car. Someone with HCA Plates on a Hand-Control Van cruises through, can't get a space for a ramp access, and leaves - then a car backs out of one of the HCA Spaces, and another one without a placard jumps into it. And yet, there were always a few open spaces on the outer row by the street.

It doesn't take a genius to know the difference between Chicken S*** and Chicken Salad.

And I wouldn't be bold enough to ask the question if I didn't have a suspicion you were a faker. That, or a genuine honest professional curiosity from someone who has gone through the EMT tests twice and Advanced First Aid a bunch more - I can see something's up, but I can't figure out what.

And if we both have to get Evacuated from the ride at the same time, it would help a lot to know "Oh, my ankle is fused..." so I don't try to move it. If something really bad is happening I'm helping get everyone out, no discussion. Nobody gets left behind, even if we have to do a two-person carry ("Someone get the legs!") - or just throw you over a shoulder and go.
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I have a bad right ankle, caused by numerous bad sprains from hiking and sports. In addition to that I also have two bad knees, my meniscus tendon is torn in my left one and my right one I dislocated my knee cap several years ago. So the massive amounts of walking can sometimes get to me, especially the steps and getting in/out of certain rides (Space Mountain & RSR are the two majors ones). My left knee tends to buckle under me without warning, so I always make sure to have someone from my group behind me and infront of me on the stairs if that happens. I also always have a friend give me a hand to help me pull myself up from the Space Mountain and RSR ride vehicles.

I'd just rather not deal with getting the disabled pass because it seems like a hassle and I don't want to be judged either. What does get to me however, is when parents use their strollers or people in ECV's ram into my ankles... it's already very weak, I don't need idiots using their strollers/ECV's as battering rams. I've gotten into a few arguments over that fact. Usually I'm polite about it, but after it happens for the 6th time that day... well my patience is already worn thin. If it's an accident I understand and am not rude in those situations, but it's blatantly obvious when it's done on purpose and in those situations I'm not so polite...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I've sat in front of a market with every HCA Space full /and all the cars didn't have placards or plates
    I empathize. Unfortunately, it's not just HCA spots being illegally taken. It's even worse with electric cars. No one seems to have a second's hesitation about parking in an electric only spot. I'm jealous of the degree of social agreement to avoid handicapped spaces that does exist in hopes to get there for electric only spots also. EVs can be literally stranded because some moron parks in an EV space with a gasser.

It only takes a few people with a me-first, screw-the-world POV to make life difficult.
    Last edited by HeavyAaron; 01-21-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clarity

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I have a bad right ankle, caused by numerous bad sprains from hiking and sports. In addition to that I also have two bad knees, my meniscus tendon is torn in my left one and my right one I dislocated my knee cap several years ago. So the massive amounts of walking can sometimes get to me, especially the steps and getting in/out of certain rides (Space Mountain & RSR are the two majors ones). My left knee tends to buckle under me without warning, so I always make sure to have someone from my group behind me and infront of me on the stairs if that happens. I also always have a friend give me a hand to help me pull myself up from the Space Mountain and RSR ride vehicles.

I'd just rather not deal with getting the disabled pass because it seems like a hassle and I don't want to be judged either. What does get to me however, is when parents use their strollers or people in ECV's ram into my ankles... it's already very weak, I don't need idiots using their strollers/ECV's as battering rams. I've gotten into a few arguments over that fact. Usually I'm polite about it, but after it happens for the 6th time that day... well my patience is already worn thin. If it's an accident I understand and am not rude in those situations, but it's blatantly obvious when it's done on purpose and in those situations I'm not so polite...

Ankle here, too. That's why I've decided the next time someone rams me from behind I'm going to throw myself on the ground in front of them, screaming in 'fear and pain', and then use their stroller/ECV/whatever to claw myself upright.

OK, I know, I wouldn't really do that. But I'm thinking about it. A lot. Feel free to borrow my idea. Really. DO IT!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    ankle here, too. That's why i've decided the next time someone rams me from behind i'm going to throw myself on the ground in front of them, screaming in 'fear and pain', and then use their stroller/ecv/whatever to claw myself upright.

Ok, i know, i wouldn't really do that. But i'm thinking about it. A lot. Feel free to borrow my idea. Really. Do it!

ha ha ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Ankle here, too. That's why I've decided the next time someone rams me from behind I'm going to throw myself on the ground in front of them, screaming in 'fear and pain', and then use their stroller/ECV/whatever to claw myself upright.

OK, I know, I wouldn't really do that. But I'm thinking about it. A lot. Feel free to borrow my idea. Really. DO IT!
    LMAO!!! I'd absolutely LOVE to do that! On my more nasty days I want to take the damn stoller and shove it back into their stomach. I never do anything other than say some choice words, but just why? Why do people have to use their strollers/ECV's as weapons? I'd never dream of doing that... and if I accidentally did I'd apologize profusely.

I would think about the people who severely abused the GAC system.

- People who would buy an obviously handicapped person a ticket to join their party.
    - Large parties that would accompany a physically challenged person just to get on the attractions without a wait.
    - True fakers who obtained the pass even though they had no real challenges.

These are the folks who ruined it for all the rest! It is only human nature to be suspicious once burned. Ungracious perhaps and it will take time for those attitudes to subside.

•   
    • Minion

The thing is, though, that it isn't my fault, or any other honest disabled person's fault, that some abused the system. We didn't cause the abuse and we don't deserve nasty comments because of what someone else did. Believe me, the fact that abuse happened in the system made it harder for those with legit disabilities, too.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The thing is, though, that it isn't my fault, or any other honest disabled person's fault, that some abused the system. We didn't cause the abuse and we don't deserve nasty comments because of what someone else did. Believe me, the fact that abuse happened in the system made it harder for those with legit disabilities, too.

100% correct. But, unfortunately, life doesn't always work that way, does it? Those who genuinely need the DAS and/or who never abused the GAC in the past are going to have to deal with the fallout. And that's a real shame. And those who abused the GAC and now can't get a DAS (or don't think it's 'worth it' to lie to get one) won't face any rude remarks or nasty looks. They just have to now wait in line with the rest of us, anonymous. I'm sure they regard that as 'punishment'. Too bad they couldn't all have been branded with The Scarlet Letter (A for abuser!).

Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a long time for the GAC abuse & resulting media storm to fade away. I'm going to try to remember, if I overhear someone make a nasty remark, to smile at the person it's directed to and just roll my eyes in the direction of the remarker. Hopefully that will let at least that one person know that not everyone thinks all DAS users are 'abusers'.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    They do not need to hear nasty comments as they try to enjoy their day at Disneyland. Right?
    Right.
    But that applies to everyone.
    Right?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I sort of just assume people got the GACs and whatever preceded them because they needed them. I went to Disneyland last May with my girlfriend for a day (for us APers, a day is 6-8 hours or so). She wore a knee brace as she had recently torn her ACL. She was getting surgery that week and wanted "one last hurrah" before not being able to go for a while. We honestly didn't even think about getting, at the time, a GAC. Her knee could only do so much and when she was done we were done. It honestly and literally did not even occur to us to get one.

I was very surprised when the revelations about selling GAC services came out.

My father is overweight and his hips give him pain if he walks around the park too much (he's lost a lot, but is still a bit heavy). It's never occurred to him to get a GAC or DAS. When he can't go anymore and my parents have come with me, we go.

My girlfriend's grandmother is 91 and walks with a walker (albeit slowly) and she rarely brings her handicapped placard with her.

The point being is that it is just foreign to me that there are people who would cheat the system when for me and people around me we don't even take advantage when we could.

That said, I watched a guy at Target get in an electric wheelchair and go through the checkout line. He made the cashier walk around and empty his small cart for him. He rolled over to the front of the store, grabbed his bags, then walked all the way to his car just fine. Perhaps he has something hidden that I don't know about, but it sure looked like he could've done the whole thing on his own just fine. A teacher at my mom's school years ago kept renewing her father's placard even though he'd died years earlier. There was one handicapped spot at the school and she parked in it.

Of course, I never say anything because I don't like to make a scene. I would never say anything at Disneyland, and I have never heard anyone say anything to anyone else (I consider myself to be hyper-aware about what is going on around me).

These stories are pretty shocking. But that doesn't mean we also shouldn't crack down on people cheating the system and call them out. Just know who they are first.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Right.
    But that applies to everyone.
    Right?
    Of course. That isn't even up for debate, as far as I am concerned. Everyone hould have a Disney experience free from hostility of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post
    It only takes a few people with a me-first, screw-the-world POV to make life difficult.
    Sadly, you have that right.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast