Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Nasty comments to disabled guests, from other guests.

We use the DAS for my autistic younger brother and I've noticed a lot of nasty stares at us for using the pass. On a couple occasions, people began whispering to each other and I really didn't appreciate it... Handicaps are also beginning to get extremely jealous over the fact that they can no longer use it. One family got angry up at the POTC stand because they weren't able to get onto the ride like us, so they began to yell at the cast member and spent almost 20 minutes arguing back and forth over why they aren't able to use the DAS.

• #bringevilback

Somewhat related, I saw someone in a wheelchair today at DL wearing a shirt that said something along the lines of "I'll trade you my spot in line for your spine". I thought it was pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I have a bad right ankle, caused by numerous bad sprains from hiking and sports. In addition to that I also have two bad knees, my meniscus tendon is torn in my left one and my right one I dislocated my knee cap several years ago. So the massive amounts of walking can sometimes get to me, especially the steps and getting in/out of certain rides (Space Mountain & RSR are the two majors ones). My left knee tends to buckle under me without warning, so I always make sure to have someone from my group behind me and infront of me on the stairs if that happens. I also always have a friend give me a hand to help me pull myself up from the Space Mountain and RSR ride vehicles.

I'd just rather not deal with getting the disabled pass because it seems like a hassle and I don't want to be judged either. What does get to me however, is when parents use their strollers or people in ECV's ram into my ankles... it's already very weak, I don't need idiots using their strollers/ECV's as battering rams. I've gotten into a few arguments over that fact. Usually I'm polite about it, but after it happens for the 6th time that day... well my patience is already worn thin. If it's an accident I understand and am not rude in those situations, but it's blatantly obvious when it's done on purpose and in those situations I'm not so polite...
    If you were to rent a mobility aid of your own and play bumper car revenge when you see rude folks hurt pedestrians it could possibly be very gratifying.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Of course. That isn't even up for debate, as far as I am concerned. Everyone hould have a Disney experience free from hostility of any kind.
    Wow, what a thread. Everyone should not only have a Disney experience free from hostility of any kind, we should live lives as free from hostility of any kind as possible. And everyone should have kisses from a cute puppy and extra bacon.

As a Service Dog I accompany a person with a non-visible disability on public transportation and into grocery stores and hospitals, places dogs cannot usually go. When my human began training me 2 1/2 years ago, people were mean to her face. They screamed, threw things, told her to get out and once a nurse-practitioner hit her from behind. (It is ever so much better now. People are getting used to the idea that having a well-trained canine companion really can be a tremendous asset to an emotionally fragile person traveling on her own.)

Dogs can tell by scent when people really mean threats and when people just have a habit of saying mean things -- when one enters their territory a mean thing gets said regardless. These people are called "bullies." They don't smell threatening -- they just talk trash. They are not members of the Mickey Mouse Club like we are. If it isn't that you're an undeserving disabled person, it's that you're fat or you have too many puppies or your pee smells like cat food; they have something mean to say loud enough for you to hear.

The thing to do is...if one observes something like this happening, don't be a bystander! At the very least say, "That was so unwarranted!" to the person on the receiving end of the rudeness (especially if they are wearing Mouse Ears.) When these things happen to my human she feels hurt even though I tell her it wasn't a real threat and I kiss her. But if I bark, watch out!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• I'm a Lutheran

As much as I'm not a fan of pointing fingers, I'm going to have to point fingers at the scam-artists for doing this. The whole faking being ill to get to the front of the line is such a joke. As a relative of those with disabilities, it is unfair to take away the respect and actual needs of the disabled, when in fact, you (meaning the scam-artists) should be waiting in line just like everyone else. It's just not right, and now it's come down to people actually starting to criticize those with actual needs. It hurts me to even think about that.

OP, I'm so sorry that happened. No one deserves to be talked to like that.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Yes it does happen, and more frequently. I kind of wish Disney would stand tall and ask guests to quit the hurtful comments to those who use a DAS or ask for some assistance to enjoy the time at Disneyland. They have been extraordinarily quiet about the rude comments. We've experienced the same comments when we use the DAS card with our autistic daughter. Even a few posters on this site have taken to uncalled for comments: "No more all day fastpass...let them stand in line like the rest...probably faking...". I have taken to lessen my time on this site due to those posters who would target any disabled person.

• Minion

Malina, I didn't reply to your thread for a while because I found it so upsetting (in sympathy with you), and didn't want to start ranting about the insensitivity, ignorance, and idiocy that we sometimes experience with "hidden disabilities". Of course, some people are even insensitive to obvious disabilities, so imagine these people trying to wrap their tiny little brains around something they can't even see (no matter how long they rudely stare).
    Today after an experience we had at the park (don't want to write about it right now), my husband and I were remembering an incident we'd had years ago in Las Vegas.
    He'd been in an accident and was on crutches. We went to use the elevator for their tram/monorail system and an attendant wouldn't let us use it instead of the stairs. She pointed at the disabled symbol with the wheelchair on it and said "The elevator is only for people in wheelchairs!"

Don't let the idiots get to you!!!

What other people think of me is none of my business.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    What other people think of me is none of my business.
    Nice saying and sentiment, but unfortunately they often want to make it your business.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Wow, what a thread. Everyone should not only have a Disney experience free from hostility of any kind, we should live lives as free from hostility of any kind as possible. And everyone should have kisses from a cute puppy and extra bacon.

As a Service Dog I accompany a person with a non-visible disability on public transportation and into grocery stores and hospitals, places dogs cannot usually go. When my human began training me 2 1/2 years ago, people were mean to her face. They screamed, threw things, told her to get out and once a nurse-practitioner hit her from behind. (It is ever so much better now. People are getting used to the idea that having a well-trained canine companion really can be a tremendous asset to an emotionally fragile person traveling on her own.)

Dogs can tell by scent when people really mean threats and when people just have a habit of saying mean things -- when one enters their territory a mean thing gets said regardless. These people are called "bullies." They don't smell threatening -- they just talk trash. They are not members of the Mickey Mouse Club like we are. If it isn't that you're an undeserving disabled person, it's that you're fat or you have too many puppies or your pee smells like cat food; they have something mean to say loud enough for you to hear.

The thing to do is...if one observes something like this happening, don't be a bystander! At the very least say, "That was so unwarranted!" to the person on the receiving end of the rudeness (especially if they are wearing Mouse Ears.) When these things happen to my human she feels hurt even though I tell her it wasn't a real threat and I kiss her. But if I bark, watch out!
    Dobby, you rock. And I'm so sorry your human has had to go through so many negative experiences because people don't want to accept or understand what a service dog does.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Hukuna Matata!

I also have issues in my spine and discs that cannot be seen, I try and hide them as much as possible. Stairs are an issue so I do the same thing, especially after sitting. Those people are lucky you were cool and didint slap the back of their heads for being rude.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Unfortunately it will probably happen more and more often because there are so many people that are out to scam there way to the front of lines.
    Let me rephrase - Unfortunately it will probably happen more and more often because there are so many people who think everyone is out to scam and interfer with their trip.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yesterday I had a negative experience at the Animation Academy, of all places, that I need to vent about.

As I have mentioned before, I have some orthopedic issues that make climbing or descending stairs unsafe for me. In the Animation Academy, where there are wide stairs with no banisters, even more so. I always politely explain to the CM at the door, as I walk in, that I have issues with stairs and ask to sit in the back row.

So, yesterday, same thing. I approached the CM, very quietly and politely explained things and asked her if I could sit in the back row. She said yes.

However...I couldn't help but hear (and I think they meant me to hear...) a nearby guest who apparently overheard me. She immediately started sucking her teeth and making comments about "fake disabilities" to her companions. Both the CM and I ignored her and I went to my seat, but it stuck with me.

No, I don't look disabled at all. I look damn healthy, in fact. I can do just about anything. I wait on lines like everyone else. The reason steps specifically are problematic is because of the way they put pressure on my knees, which are very unstable, and tend to buckle without warning. By looking at me there's no way to see that I have medical issues. It doesn't mean they aren't there.

It just bothers me to no end, that in a situation like this, there would be negative commentary. I'd waited just as everyone else had waited. I was on my own so I obviously wasn't trying to get a group of people in with me. I was asking to sit in the bloody back row, farthest from the screen, in a room where there were plenty of available seats in every other row for everyone...and someone still resented that.

And yes, I get that scam artists are out there. I know they've made things difficult for everyone, to the point where they necessitated the overhaul of the disabled access system at Disney parks. My plea, though, is again to please, please remember that some of us really do have hidden challenges, and that the "healthy" person you see might be dealing with something you can't see. They do not need to hear nasty comments as they try to enjoy their day at Disneyland. Right?
    I'm sorry that happened, she sounds like an awful woman!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345