Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Sad Nasty comments to disabled guests, from other guests.

Yesterday I had a negative experience at the Animation Academy, of all places, that I need to vent about.

As I have mentioned before, I have some orthopedic issues that make climbing or descending stairs unsafe for me. In the Animation Academy, where there are wide stairs with no banisters, even more so. I always politely explain to the CM at the door, as I walk in, that I have issues with stairs and ask to sit in the back row.

So, yesterday, same thing. I approached the CM, very quietly and politely explained things and asked her if I could sit in the back row. She said yes.

However...I couldn't help but hear (and I think they meant me to hear...) a nearby guest who apparently overheard me. She immediately started sucking her teeth and making comments about "fake disabilities" to her companions. Both the CM and I ignored her and I went to my seat, but it stuck with me.

No, I don't look disabled at all. I look damn healthy, in fact. I can do just about anything. I wait on lines like everyone else. The reason steps specifically are problematic is because of the way they put pressure on my knees, which are very unstable, and tend to buckle without warning. By looking at me there's no way to see that I have medical issues. It doesn't mean they aren't there.

It just bothers me to no end, that in a situation like this, there would be negative commentary. I'd waited just as everyone else had waited. I was on my own so I obviously wasn't trying to get a group of people in with me. I was asking to sit in the bloody back row, farthest from the screen, in a room where there were plenty of available seats in every other row for everyone...and someone still resented that.

And yes, I get that scam artists are out there. I know they've made things difficult for everyone, to the point where they necessitated the overhaul of the disabled access system at Disney parks. My plea, though, is again to please, please remember that some of us really do have hidden challenges, and that the "healthy" person you see might be dealing with something you can't see. They do not need to hear nasty comments as they try to enjoy their day at Disneyland. Right?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Nasty comments to disabled guests, from other guests.

That woman sounds like a horrible person. You weren't even better off by sitting in the back? Why would they care?
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    That woman sounds like a horrible person. You weren't even better off by sitting in the back? Why would they care?
    That's what got me about it! It had absolutely zero impact on her and she was acting as though I'd jumped to the front of the queue at RSR or something...ignoring it was the best policy but some people are horrible.

• Minion

She is just being ignorant. She'll eventually understand what it is like to have limited abilities as she ages.

Obvously that lady has some issues.

I think a lot of people are irritated at the fact that the system is often abused, but that's absolutely no excuse to be rude. At the end of the day, she's no better than the people who fake the disabilities.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Chief Troublemaker

Frollofan's right. What goes around comes around, and all that.

I'm sorry you had to hear that, Malina. But just remember that all is was is someone showing their own ignorance. We really should feel sorry for someone who is so 'small' that they have to comment on something that didn't even affect them!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• MargyDisneylandLover

I had a similar experience in November. I have a bad nerve issue and some days I have to use a wheelchair as my legs will go out randomly and have horrible sharp pains coming up them. Coming from Seattle on a flight it was very inconvenient to bring my chair also Disneyland has a lot of hilly areas and being alone with the chair is not easy. So I rented an electric scooter from an outside company (they post rent me signs on the baskets) for two reasons to be cheaper and in case I did need help I wouldn't have to waste time renting one in the morning etc. Anyway I was riding it by the rivers of america in the afternoon. I was heading to Splash (by the way on days when I used my chair if I could not wait in line I used fastpass or single rider I did not want to bypass the lines) as I was going along two ladies walked past and said people using those rented scooters just use them to skip the lines they do not have anything wrong with them. I was totally shocked someone would say that kind of thing. I was angry at first. VERY ANGRY. Then I just broke down and started crying in what was my one true happy place. I was so upset I just rode out to my hotel and cried myself to sleep. So upset that I did not go the next day back to the parks and wasted one of my 5 precious days. So I totally feel for the OP. I am so sorry this happened to you. Please do not let it take time away from this magical place. I sure wish I wouldn't have.

To all others who may think someone looks able. Think before you speak. I would much rather walk around all day then be a 26 year old in an electric scooter.
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Minion

Who cares what people think? You know you did the right thing, so you shouldn't let other people's comments get to you. If they want to be rude and degrade other people, that isn't your issue; it's theirs.

• Chief Troublemaker

Disneylandfan95, It is hard to hear others say negative things about you within your hearing. Be it disabled pass 'abuse', being over/under-weight, or maybe they just don't like the color of your hair. And it's especially hard if it's over and over again.

The GAC abuse (especially after the publicity it got) has left an nasty taste in people's mouths. Many people can't see past the cheaters and feel entitled to be loud about what happened with the GAC, even though the GAC is over and done with. And the people on the receiving end of their nastiness are entitled to feel insulted and hurt.

We all want to be perceived positively, even by strangers. Otherwise we'd all walk around smelly, disheveled, & picking our noses.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

You could have had a heart condition that would obviously not show up. Just ignore and move on
    Janette

• Done with MC.

I am so sorry for what happened to you.
    Unfortunately it will probably happen more and more often because there are so many people that are out to scam there way to the front of lines.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I starting using an assistance pass in 2006 when I was about to have surgery to remove cartilage in my hip as well as have the top of my femur shaved off (yes, it's a pain in the butt that I had to go through that). The first few times I used it I was also using crutches so nobody really bothered me.

But since then, I've heard nasty comments to me a lot. You can't tell what my disability is by looking at me, so I've been accused of faking an injury several times. The comments got worse as I gained weight. Last year when I was there, a guest saw me pull out my GAC and said, "Lose some weight fat @$$ and then maybe you can stop cutting in front of me. I should have to wait longer because you are too fat to wait in line". That really stung. I haven't shared about that in the past because I try not to let it bother me. I know it's the other person's problem and I'm not trying to cheat the system.

What I started doing is whenever someone says something nasty to me in the parks (and it has gotten better with having the DAS) I just tell them exactly what's wrong with me. I'm more than comfortable sharing my hip issues with random strangers. So I'll tell them exactly why I have trouble waiting in line. If they don't walk away, I'll continue explaining what the pain feels like if I stand still too long (in case you are wondering, it feels like my hip bone and femur are grinding together and that my leg is stuck in my hip socket).

I know that telling people that isn't the most polite comeback I could use, but I do it so they realize that there are invisible aliments and to not judge people who look healthy. I have no idea if I've ever changed someone's mind, but I hope that at some point I will.

Whenever I hear a nasty or unkind comment that is somehow directed at me, i just remember that their opinion does not matter to me. No one should have to experience that at disneyland especially.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I am so sorry that happened to you Malina! These things do hurt and they do sting, we are only human to feel this way when something doesn't sit right with us. I've just learned that people are jerks and nothing will change that fact and it's best to just release it and let it go, as hard as that is. It's perfectly unfair that some people think they are far above everyone else to the point where they think commentary is needed, and within earshot no less.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino | But You Dont Look Sick? support for those with invisible illness or chronic illness

I've wanted to post this link here for a long time. Even more so when the whole GAC/DAS switched happened after all the comments about people with "invisible conditions" and the lack of understand and compassion from people who don't know what its like to have a disability or what its like to struggle every day because of an illness.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast