Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Monorail Junkie

Re: Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

I guess that your not aware of the money it would take to do this do you? The beams they use are not the standard beams that they use in WDW so they would have to be specially made for the re-due. TDA can secure and release funds for the 60th or the redesign of tomorrowland let alone change the beam way and add a station. I would leave it as is, its nice.

• dl159

I thought of this only because I feel like they might do this one day especially with the land the monorail rides over in Disneyland. My favorite thing about the Disneyland Monorail is that while your riding it you get to go over the sub lagoon and go around the mini forest the Autopia runs through. On a Miceage update a couple months back, it was talking about the possible removal of the figure 8 loop in order for the land to be fully utilized for the rumored forrest of Endor. The Monorail would still enter Disneyland but the best part about the trip would be gone. Also Iv stayed at the Paradise Pier hotel and the walk to DCA is pretty lengthy. If they could put a station inside of DCA then this would be fine. I was just thinking of how WDW and Tokyo Disneyland use their Monorail system as actual shuttles from the Hotels to the Parks.

• Under that tree again!

The figure 8 is a part of the track that is over Autopoia and the sub building which is under Autopia.

If they build another attraction there, they could leave intact the outer loop which goes along the border of those attractions, loops around the Matterhorn and through the station.

While it doesn't fit the theme, I'm very used to seeing the monorail from the Matterhorn and Tea Cups. I'd be disappointed if that section was gone.

I also think the Monorail station with the sub docks, is out of place in Tomorrowland, but also blocks some of the view to help transition to Fantasyland.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

When they build the third park, they are going to need a comprehensive transportation system that will connect all 3 parks, all Disney-owned hotels and all Disney-owned parking lots. It seems like the Monorail would be the logical choice for this, since it is already built and connects some of these. They would just have to build extensions to, and stations at, the places it doesn't currently reach. This seems to me to be the only practical solution to connect everything in the resort together. As far as the Monorail in Tomorrowland, I would choose to leave it as-is, unless the entire area it goes over was rebuilt as some other land.

• Under that tree again!

^Bob, I agree.

It may, when the time comes, be important to keep us off the streets and a monorail would do that.

It might sound funny, but when the third gate is built, if we walk between it and the two we have now a record will be set. The worlds busiest Subway will be the store on Katella and Harbor.

Perhaps some of the cost could be kept down by reusing displaced track.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• dl159

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    When they build the third park, they are going to need a comprehensive transportation system that will connect all 3 parks, all Disney-owned hotels and all Disney-owned parking lots. It seems like the Monorail would be the logical choice for this, since it is already built and connects some of these. They would just have to build extensions to, and stations at, the places it doesn't currently reach. This seems to me to be the only practical solution to connect everything in the resort together. As far as the Monorail in Tomorrowland, I would choose to leave it as-is, unless the entire area it goes over was rebuilt as some other land.
    The Monorail would be the perfect transportation system to get guests to the third park, especially since its blocks away. If they do end up keeping the Tomorrowland station, they could have different Monorails with one or two being express monorails into Disneyland that would require a Disneyland Ticket to board while the other Monorails would be for guests traveling to hotels, DCA, and the Third Park. They would just need a track switcher and they already have many of these switchers in WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by DLR159 View Post
    The Monorail would be the perfect transportation system to get guests to the third park, especially since its blocks away. If they do end up keeping the Tomorrowland station, they could have different Monorails with one or two being express monorails into Disneyland that would require a Disneyland Ticket to board while the other Monorails would be for guests traveling to hotels, DCA, and the Third Park. They would just need a track switcher and they already have many of these switchers in WDW.
    That's what I was thinking is retain the existing Disneyland loop but make a seperate loop to serve the resort hotels, DCA, and quite possibly a third gate. Whether the trains would have to be upgraded yet I guess remains to be seen, as I'm not entirely sure but I think that the WDW system has a special operating system (nicknamed MAPO if I'm not mistaken) that regulates the trains on the Express, Local, and Epcot loops.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Minion

Well, they have to come up with some kind of master plan for transportation. I think they should buy the GardenWalk mall, and then build an extension of the Monorail to cross over Harbor Boulevard, go through the GardenWalk mall, then cross over Katella and end at the third park, which will be south of Katella. That would really be the only major addition they would need to build. Maybe also an extension to the Paradise Pier hotel, and a way for guests parking in any Disney-owned lots to get to the Monorail, but those would probably be just minor additions.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Maybe also an extension to the Paradise Pier hotel, and a way for guests parking in any Disney-owned lots to get to the Monorail, but those would probably be just minor additions.
    If a new resort hotel is built on the Simba Lot, I could see the west end loop going around the PPH. Then the DTD station could be moved south between the DLH, PPH, and new hotel.

Then it would be more a transport option rather than an amusement ride. It would also give people an option to get to the 3rd gate, rather than walking Katella and making Coco's and Tiff's?, popular.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Artistic integrity

Uhhhhh ............

Didn't I hear that the Monorail manages to get past certain State mandates due to a little thing called a "Grandfathering" clause? And if the ride ever goes down for a long period, for major additions, or demo to certain parts of the track ... Doesn't that grandfather clause become irrelevant, and therefore put the Monorail in the same position as the 1967 Peoplemover?

Remember this too, everyone. The DL monorail is a "scaled down" version to handle DL's more "intimate" design. If you put WDW's system next to DL's .... the beam is bigger. The trains are bigger. To do a proper transportation system ... would look ridiculously big. And out of proportion.

If a third park comes along .. and more DLR hotels .. they need a bigger system ... different than the Tomorrowland Monorail. That keeps a distance from the "theme park attraction" counterpart, to not ruin it's scale.

EDIT....................

These 5 car monorails ... BUILT AS A THEME PARK ATTRACTION have a capacity of 100 to 125 people around at a time. And they run only 2 trains at a time. And even if they did run 3 .. for a longer track to reach certain spots .. it's not going to be adequate to move thousands of people around .. when the DLR eventually has a third park, and god knows .. how many more hotels, and more retail locations (Garden Walk?).

The practical issues here are staggering!

If Disney ever uses something to move the masses around .. at the DLR in the future ... they need something with a far better capacity.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-20-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

The original plan was a monorail system for the Anaheim Resort area, but the city of Anaheim found it too expensive. They decided to pursue light rail instead, but it seems like they are having second thoughts on that too after seeing traffic at some of the larger recent conventions such as WonderCon and D23. The city still wants to attract ComicCon.

I think a good temporary solution would be to open up the Grand Californian entrance to all guests after noon. It would make it easier for guests leaving for lunch or dinner to return to DCA. This past weekend when it was very busy they were actually suggesting guests eat at DTD so it seems like if you're going to send people there you should give them an easy way to get back.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    The original plan was a monorail system for the Anaheim Resort area, but the city of Anaheim found it too expensive. They decided to pursue light rail instead, but it seems like they are having second thoughts on that too after seeing traffic at some of the larger recent conventions such as WonderCon and D23. The city still wants to attract ComicCon.

I think a good temporary solution would be to open up the Grand Californian entrance to all guests after noon. It would make it easier for guests leaving for lunch or dinner to return to DCA. This past weekend when it was very busy they were actually suggesting guests eat at DTD so it seems like if you're going to send people there you should give them an easy way to get back.
    well if it was anywhere near as busy as last year they needed to because last year during the run DL got dang near hitting capacity both days. Part of how I could tell it was busy, Pooh had a 30 minute wait. So I then asked a security CM if they knew how busy it was and they said they were about 5k away from closing the gates
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Uhhhhh ............

These 5 car monorails ... BUILT AS A THEME PARK ATTRACTION have a capacity of 100 to 125 people around at a time. And they run only 2 trains at a time. And even if they did run 3 .. for a longer track to reach certain spots .. it's not going to be adequate to move thousands of people around ..
    That is very true, the Disneyland system falls under the "Attractions" category at DLR while the Walt Disney World System falls under "Transportation". I believe the Mark VII trains are capable of running three at a time though honestly, I don't think they could do that with the amount of break downs that they experience in a day. The grandfather clause is a very good point and all this time I've kind of been wondering how Disney manages to get away with a narrow beam way over the sub lagoon and autopia whereas bringing the Peoplemover track back to life would require ADA and exit routes.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    That is very true, the Disneyland system falls under the "Attractions" category at DLR while the Walt Disney World System falls under "Transportation". I believe the Mark VII trains are capable of running three at a time though honestly, I don't think they could do that with the amount of break downs that they experience in a day. The grandfather clause is a very good point and all this time I've kind of been wondering how Disney manages to get away with a narrow beam way over the sub lagoon and autopia whereas bringing the Peoplemover track back to life would require ADA and exit routes.
    The narrow beam isn't a problem because the trains are already lighter and smaller than their WDW counterparts, and both stations are already appear to be close to compliant (both stations have elevators and ramps, and have procedures in place to accommodate anyone with needs). I'm not sure on exact ADA requirements, but the Monorail would probably be ok regardless.

• Down Pluto!

If keeping the Monorail station keeps Endor out of Tomorrowland - YAY! WAY TO GO MONORAIL STATION!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast