Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    If keeping the Monorail station keeps Endor out of Tomorrowland - YAY! WAY TO GO MONORAIL STATION!
    Agreed!

• Donald's #1 Fan

While we are at it, let's get rid of the Castle (Visual nuisance), the horse carriages (too slow) and every dark ride (too boring) and replace everything with Six Flags roller coasters, which are exciting...

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    While we are at it, let's get rid of the Castle (Visual nuisance), the horse carriages (too slow) and every dark ride (too boring) and replace everything with Six Flags roller coasters, which are exciting...
    Did you even bother to read the thread?

The OP's point was that the Monorail track takes up a ton of real estate and makes building on that land tricky. While I actually agree with a lot of ideas that he brings up (such as moving the station to somewhere like the Esplande could help the Monorail transition into a transportation system for an expanded resort, and moving the DTD station to be closer to more of the hotels in that area), I still don't think they should take the monorail out of the park entirely, but removing the inner figure 8 loop isn't as crazy an idea as people here think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Did you even bother to read the thread?

The OP's point was that the Monorail track takes up a ton of real estate and makes building on that land tricky. While I actually agree with a lot of ideas that he brings up (such as moving the station to somewhere like the Esplande could help the Monorail transition into a transportation system for an expanded resort, and moving the DTD station to be closer to more of the hotels in that area), I still don't think they should take the monorail out of the park entirely, but removing the inner figure 8 loop isn't as crazy an idea as people here think.
    I think what's being said here is that the Monorail is an iconic part of the park; sarcasm seems to be at play. But indeed the subject itself -- removing the Monorail -- is sacrilegious and somewhat inflammatory.

Personally I have never recovered from losing the Disneyland Hotel stop.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I think what's being said here is that the Monorail is an iconic part of the park; sarcasm seems to be at play. But indeed the subject itself -- removing the Monorail -- is sacrilegious and somewhat inflammatory.

There's sarcasm and then there's being lazy and hyperbolic and not even bothering to discuss the topic at a base level. It doesn't drive discussion and screams of drive-by posting. If he's going to make a post that doesn't respect the amount of time everyone else in the thread has taken in this discussion, then I'm going to call him out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    The narrow beam isn't a problem because the trains are already lighter and smaller than their WDW counterparts, and both stations are already appear to be close to compliant (both stations have elevators and ramps, and have procedures in place to accommodate anyone with needs). I'm not sure on exact ADA requirements, but the Monorail would probably be ok regardless.
    I know that the station's are ADA compliant, its just a little weird if they had to do an emergency EVAC from a narrow section of beamway with an ADA rider. I recall reading somewhere that the pilot is supposed to tie a rope or something to the top of the monorail and drape it over the nosecone and have people make their way down the nose and out on to the beamway and away from the train, if that is the case, it would be hard to get an ADA rider off using that method, but I'm guessing Disney has a procedure in place for that kind of situation. As for the purpose of moving guests, if anyone recalls the 1999 closure of what is now Downtown Disney and California Adventure, the only way for guests at the Disneyland Hotel and the then Disneyland Pacific Hotel to enter Disneyland was via the monorail and I remember lines of 45 to 50 minutes even when they had two trains going to Tomorrowland and then backing up to Downtown Disney.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Minion

With the current Monorail track and its MAPO zone system, how many trains can be running at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    A monorail stop in DCA along the current track layout is not possible for collision avoidance reasons. Remain Seated Please: No Monorail for California Adventure
    That explanation is a little incomplete.

Adding a third station would not make it impossible due to the collision avoidance system. It simply means they would have to make sure a train leaves the DCA stop before another trains stops at TL Station. It's just a timing adjustment.

I'm still not in favor of the original post's idea of a shuttle, nor of a DCA stop, but it's not impossible to do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    When they build the third park, they are going to need a comprehensive transportation system that will connect all 3 parks, all Disney-owned hotels and all Disney-owned parking lots.
    The Monorail is simply an overly expensive inefficient transportation system for that purpose.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    I know that the station's are ADA compliant, its just a little weird if they had to do an emergency EVAC from a narrow section of beamway with an ADA rider. I recall reading somewhere that the pilot is supposed to tie a rope or something to the top of the monorail and drape it over the nosecone and have people make their way down the nose and out on to the beamway and away from the train, if that is the case, it would be hard to get an ADA rider off using that method, but I'm guessing Disney has a procedure in place for that kind of situation. As for the purpose of moving guests, if anyone recalls the 1999 closure of what is now Downtown Disney and California Adventure, the only way for guests at the Disneyland Hotel and the then Disneyland Pacific Hotel to enter Disneyland was via the monorail and I remember lines of 45 to 50 minutes even when they had two trains going to Tomorrowland and then backing up to Downtown Disney.
    I think you heard a joke.

States have laws about how fast an evacuation is supposed to take. I learned this from a chairlift attendant in Utah. He said his ski area aimed to have everyone off in 11 minutes which may of been less than the requirement. I heard from a chairlift mechanic elsewhere they had 45 minutes. Not sure about in California, but I would guess this standard applies to theme park rides too. In DLR they tow the trains to a station to do the evacs.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• dl159

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    The Monorail is simply an overly expensive inefficient transportation system for that purpose.
    The expansion of the Monorail would be expensive to build, but if Disney does it the right way, It wouldn't be inefficient. If you compare the size of Disneyland's Monorail with the size of Tokyo Disneyland Monorail, there is a huge difference in size. Tokyo Disneyland's system can transport double the people than Disneyland's. Also if you look at WDW, their Monorails are wider and have an extra car. In fact, in order to get to the Magic Kingdom from the parking lot, you ether have to take the monorail or a boat. If WDW can do it then Im sure the DLR can as well, especially if less people would be using the system in Anaheim to get around the resort and to the future park.

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post

Yes!

•   
    • Minion

I would think that with a third gate, as someone said, they would need to have a way to connect all three parks. However, given the location of the current monorail, and the issues about possibly turning back guests who aren't ticketed for multiple parks, they would probably just make a new system. I could see them building a new monorail, people mover or trolley from the third gate to the Esplanade, just outside the park gates, before I could see them hooking up the existing Monorail to two other parks. That would probably be much easier for ticket checks, etc.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    With the current Monorail track and its MAPO zone system, how many trains can be running at one time?
    I don't think Disneyland has the MAPO system but there are two trains usually running at a time. The pilots communicate with call like "Red entering the park" or "Blue approaching Pirates" and I think that "central" at the Tomorrowland station coordinates the movements of the trains, the only time that they can't be in the same general area is the "Crossover" of the two tracks entering and exiting the park for clearance reasons. That being said, the computer systems onboard the Mark VII's are supposedly rumored to allow for three train operations.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think you heard a joke.

States have laws about how fast an evacuation is supposed to take. I learned this from a chairlift attendant in Utah. He said his ski area aimed to have everyone off in 11 minutes which may of been less than the requirement. I heard from a chairlift mechanic elsewhere they had 45 minutes. Not sure about in California, but I would guess this standard applies to theme park rides too. In DLR they tow the trains to a station to do the evacs.
    I think what I heard was in response to the fire they had at WDW on one of the old Mark IV monorails, where the train was somewhat in immediate danger and they had to completely evacuate people off the train or to an adjacent monorail car. At Disneyland since the track is a lot shorter, it would make sense that a tow can reach a stricken train in a fair amount of time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast