Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    I'm sure it would be astronomical...but that doesn't mean Disney doesn't have the funds - they probably have billions sitting around lol.

For the monorail.
    These things are definitely expensive, but when it comes to getting people safely to the third gate, the comfort and efficiency of a raised monorail or peoplemover will likely be worth it to Disney. Having guests walk a few blocks through Anaheim and off of Disney property is pretty undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    These things are definitely expensive, but when it comes to getting people safely to the third gate, the comfort and efficiency of a raised monorail or peoplemover will likely be worth it to Disney. Having guests walk a few blocks through Anaheim and off of Disney property is pretty undesirable.
    Also, the monorail and peoplemover would also be much more environmentally friendly than obtaining more shuttle buses from the City of Anaheim.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Also, the monorail and peoplemover would also be much more environmentally friendly than obtaining more shuttle buses from the City of Anaheim.
    And if it's a system that goes down Harbor, I bet Anaheim will assist to pay for it. Because it ultimately could be an alternative to other public transit.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    And if it's a system that goes down Harbor, I bet Anaheim will assist to pay for it. Because it ultimately could be an alternative to other public transit.
    There was a proposed Anaheim monorail system that never came into fruition a few years ago so the city has definitely looked into something like that before. It would definitely take some of the financial burden off of Disney and the City would have less congestion on their roadways due to less vehicles. It seems like a win win to me.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The new trend is streetcars, and that is what Anahiem is now looking into as part of the ARTIC center being built near the Stadium. A raised network over distance isn't worth it when they have the old Amtrak alignments to work with.

AConnext | Anaheim Transit. Where You Want to Go.

The new trend is streetcars, and that is what Anahiem is now looking into as part of the ARTIC center being built near the Stadium. A raised network over distance isn't worth it when they have the old Amtrak alignments to work with.

AConnext | Anaheim Transit. Where You Want to Go.
    The thing I feel like though is if Disney would like to attempt an "intercity" transportation network to connect to their third gate, Anaheim definitely has the right conditions for that to happen.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I doubt Disney would want to connect it to anything else though other than the two gates on their own property. That keeps it easier to monitor and control not only the guest experience, but also the safety of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    Based on what your saying the shuttles most often seen at airports might work. Bombardier makes a system used in 33 airports starting back in the 70's. These things are scalable to move up to 80,000 people (Atlanta Airport) 90 second intervals. Above, below or on ground level.
    As mentioned in another post, Vancouver, BC sky train system is completely automated and driverless, at rush hour runs approx every 2 minutes on peak lines. Capacity varies based on the type of car, older cars hold about 90 people, newer ones upwards of 160 people.

If Disney wanted to spend the money at Disneyland to re-do the transportation system, no reason they couldn't, its not exactly large scale, and large scale driverless automated systems have been in service for decades now.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Just my two cents.

i would vote a big no on any thought of 86ing the monorail. Many have stated the reasons why it should be kept. But it also fully plays into the Tomorrowland theme as being futuristic. After all, even after decades aren't cities around the world and their citizens still hoping for something like this in their cities?

One question though that I can't seem to find a reference to. I understand that the monorail can't be stopped at DCA currently. However I thought there was a post here or somewhere else referencing where it could stop if tracks were reworked. Can someone point me back in that direction? If for some reason I am totally imagining this, they where would a likely DCA stop be if tracks were reworked?

• Meh

I love the monorail, it's always worth a ride when I'm at the parks. And, I love ESPN Zone and it basically takes you right there! Win-Win!

Has anyone ever really found a budget that backs the assertion that monorail infrastructure is cost-prohibitive compared to roadway / traffic control systems? Easement / right-of-way issues notwithstanding, how can pre-formed beams and [variable-height] towers cost more than conventional roads?
    ~ Erik

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Has anyone ever really found a budget that backs the assertion that monorail infrastructure is cost-prohibitive compared to roadway / traffic control systems? Easement / right-of-way issues notwithstanding, how can pre-formed beams and [variable-height] towers cost more than conventional roads?
    No, nor will you. The rail industry has had a strangle hold on the country and political decision makers for over a century. Whatever evidence to the contrary is presented, the rail industrial juggernaut conjures up their own set of data to counter monorails.

Some of their claims are true, it is cheaper to lay a mile of rails than a mile of elevated beams. (but only on flat ground with no crossings or obstructions on land that does not need to have right-of-way purchased) It is easier to evacuate passengers from the ground than in the air. Facilities for ADA compliance is cheaper on the ground.

What is true, but will never get a fair hearing for monorails - based on data from other countries - is that the supporting infrastructure is cheaper for monorail. Stations do not need to be elevated - they can be at ground level. Monorails when elevated not only have a smaller footprint, but do not contribute to congestion by crossing roads and delaying vehicle traffic. That also requires expensive traffic control systems at every crossing. Accidents involving pedestrians or vehicles are non existent. The carrying capacity is a straw argument as there are no significant differences. I could go on...

The real life situation is that the rail purveyors have a track record (that they carefully control and manipulate) and for monorails in this country that track record is lacking. Never mind that monorails are becoming the preferred method in other countries. Politicians are basically cowardly and do not like to stick their neck out on anything new or not popular with voters. Politicians responsible for making the decisions also see dollars. I do not want to claim that their pockets get lined - but what other rational explanation is there?

Sao Palo just put in the beginning of a new system and it is pretty incredible. Their surface street congestion situation is so abysmal that adding monorail was the only logical alternative.

BOMBARDIER INNOVIA Monorail €“ São Paulo, Brazil - Brazil - Bombardier

The Monorail Gets a Second Life in São Paulo | Autopia | Wired.com

São Paulo monorail takes test run | Global Rail News

São Paulo awards monorail metro contract - Railway Gazette

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    The difference is because it all has to be custom designed and built to order. Every road building outfit in California can grade and pave a simple highway, and there is an industry in existence to build standard rail. Monorail on the other hand has no standards or industry backing. Every system is custom and requires engineering and electrical/industrial design from scratch. Add to that the cost of pre-forming and shipping each beam to site and of course the cost of land acquisition as well.

Not having the competition to drive down costs makes all the difference.

• Down Pluto!

Monorail on the other hand has no standards or industry backing. Every system is custom and requires engineering and electrical/industrial design from scratch.
    The designs and standards are becoming less different and seriously, they are no longer all done from scratch. There are pre-designed modular systems.

Add to that the cost of pre-forming and shipping each beam to site
    You are aware that steel rails, wooden ties, and electrical overhead wires and support all need to be transported to the site. Concrete beams can be formed locally with little distance or transportation problems. Why isn't that a problem with bridge crossings that require pre-formed overhead supports (which are often much bigger than monorail beams) but it is for a monorail project?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

PRT and APMs use much simpler trackway systems (no power in the track) and have been built at $7 - $15M per km, inclusive of vehicles, station(s) and operation infrastucture. Shouldn't Disney be partnering with the Alwegs (Vectus / UltraPRT) of the 21st century to bring these technologies forward?
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 02-04-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    ~ Erik

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast