Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• dl159

Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

Currently the Monorail is mainly used as a short cut into Disneyland for guests staying at the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels. Yes its also a way for Downtown Disney folks to get into Disneyland but I find the monorail system today underdeveloped. It should be able to transport all guests regardless of which park they are going into. Disneyland is already looking at the Autopia and Sub site as a current expansion site but with the Monorail running on top of that land, it makes future projects located on that site limited. Disney should just take the Monorail out of Disneyland all together and move its station outside the park to the right of its entrance and take up part of the transportation center. With this step, guests entering both parks could use the Monorail. They should also relocate the Downtown Disney station and move it behind the AMC Theater so that Paradise Pier guests could have a shorter walk to the station without lengthening the walk for Disneyland Hotel guests. I believe this would benefit all guests especially Resort Hotel guests. The Monorail would become more useful and could easily be expanded in the future.

• Minion

Re: Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

I almost ask, what is the point, that sounds like a back and forth shuttle at which point you may as well have it be a tram instead
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    I almost ask, what is the point, that sounds like a back and forth shuttle at which point you may as well have it be a tram instead
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by DLR159 View Post
    Currently the Monorail is mainly used as a short cut into Disneyland for guests staying at the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels. Yes its also a way for Downtown Disney folks to get into Disneyland but I find the monorail system today underdeveloped. It should be able to transport all guests regardless of which park they are going into. Disneyland is already looking at the Autopia and Sub site as a current expansion site but with the Monorail running on top of that land, it makes future projects located on that site limited. Disney should just take the Monorail out of Disneyland all together and move its station outside the park to the right of its entrance and take up part of the transportation center. With this step, guests entering both parks could use the Monorail. They should also relocate the Downtown Disney station and move it behind the AMC Theater so that Paradise Pier guests could have a shorter walk to the station without lengthening the walk for Disneyland Hotel guests. I believe this would benefit all guests especially Resort Hotel guests. The Monorail would become more useful and could easily be expanded in the future.
    The reason they have never added on monorail service at WDW beyond where it is and has been since the creation of EPCOT is that it is a very expensive thing to construct. You are suggesting they spend millions of dollars to create a tram service.... And in the process removing an iconic part of what makes Disneyland Disneyland... it would be akin to saying hey lets remove the castle, it gets in the way and we could put something else there.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I don't like this proposal, but what I really would like is a monorail stop at DCA. The back lot area of Hollywood Land is perfect. We would need a station, of course, and a system to check tickets, but it wouldn't be that difficult.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Chief Troublemaker

I don't see the point. Are you saying that the monorail would just run from a station behind the theaters to the bus/tram stop & back again? That's a pretty fancy 'shuttle' to travel only .5 mile one way, IMHO. BTW, thank you to the MCer whose name I can't remember who did that great gmap pedometer map. It is superb!

I think it would be great if they could make a people-mover like that, though. Or if they ran a hotel guest tram from the DLH entrance to the esplanade (like the 'old' days).

The change to the monorail I'd make would be a stop inside DCA. Maybe over by Monsters Inc. where the stage is.

x-post with Steamboat. Great minds think alike.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Not a fan of this idea. I like watching the monorail glide from within Disneyland.

• Minion

Besides, the monorail is also a ride unto itself. Fun to glide over all that geography and arrive back at Disneyland.

•   
    • Minion

I am not a fan of this idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I don't like this proposal, but what I really would like is a monorail stop at DCA. The back lot area of Hollywood Land is perfect. We would need a station, of course, and a system to check tickets, but it wouldn't be that difficult.
    I would like to see this, though! Hollywoodland does have some spaces for this; or else, how about the area by the bridge in BVS? They could make it look like an old-fashioned trolley stop, and since they did have elevated lines back then, it would work.

•   

A monorail stop in paradise pier or behind TOT and cars land would be a good idea. But to take take the monorail out of Disneyland would not only cost a fortune, but take away from the original Disneyland. Also the monorail serves it purpose, unless the volume was decreasing rapidly and people weren't using it, there would be no reason to change it.

• I'm not really here

A monorail stop in DCA along the current track layout is not possible for collision avoidance reasons. Remain Seated Please: No Monorail for California Adventure

Expanding the track around DCA further is a possibility. It would involve cost and all, but doable. It would involved reworking the DL monorail exit ramp to include a park turnstile of some sort for checking tickets/hand-stamps. The ability to turn people around and send them back up the platform to reboard if they do not have proper entrance media for said park (DCA/DL).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• 2013-14 Premium APer

Yeah, like most of the others I don't like this idea. We use the monorail ALL the time to go from inside the park to that end of DtD, and then use the GC entrance to get into DCA. I wish the Monorail stopped at DTD AND DCA and then returned back to Tomorrowland...but well, that's not feasible I guess.

I don't think the current monorail loop can be modified due to the fact that it was designated a Engineering Landmark or other sometime in I believe the early 2000's. What I think should be done is to leave the monorail loop the way it is now, only one stop in Tomorrowland but build another loop that would service DCA and possibly a future third gate. I can see them turning the Downtown Disney station into kind of a mini TTC from WDW and having the two lines run side by side. This new line could have a station roughly in between Paradise Pier and the Paradise Pier hotel outside the park so that you can service both the hotel and the park and probably reopen the old third entrance over by mermaid. I don't know if Disney would necessarily be ready for this kind of expansion since the monorail is not cost friendly when it comes to construction and I don't believe the Mark VII monorails would be able to support a system like this with the problems they're having.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Here's my 2 cents

let it be
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    I don't think the current monorail loop can be modified due to the fact that it was designated a Engineering Landmark or other sometime in I believe the early 2000's.
    From the American Society of Mechanical Engineers FAQ on designated Landmarks:
    Alteration, Removal, or Destruction of LandmarkDoes ASME landmark status mean that an artifact or collection cannot be altered, removed, or destroyed?
    No. The ASME designation does not have the force of law that a National Register designation has. Therefore, an owner is free to alter or demolish the landmark. ASME hopes, however, that this recognition will encourage the preservation of these examples of our industrial heritage. If a landmark is destroyed or undergoes major alterations, its plaque must be returned to ASME.
    The ride was actually designated as a Mechanical Engineering landmark in 1986. As they don't have the force of law behind them, no one can really say anything about any alteration to the Monorail (many of which have happened over the years, new vehicles anyone?). As this is just a layout issue being discussed, it isn't even modifying the engineering at all, they would care even less.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast