Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Indy closes March 3 for a refurb

I hope they bump up the intensity, fix the doors once and for all, and then sync up Sallah's sayings at the end to the door you actually went through. That would be awesome! Maybe even restore Mara's old voice back. The version they are using now isn't terrible it's certainly better than that BS they tried earlier but it's still not as good as it once was. It's unlikely, but I can dream.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    Last week, we rode it twice. The doors worked (we went through two different "paths") and the boulder scene seemed fine. I was just thrown by the speed of the ride. Has it always been really fast and wild or did they upgrade the speed? Maybe I'm just getting older, plus it had been three years since my last Disneyland visit.
    The speed is still the same as far as I know.

I guess it had just been a long time since I had last been on the ride! I'm heavier than I was three years ago so everything was physically harder on my body. Just the walk through the line was hard enough. We literally walked right onto our vehicle with no waiting after walking non-stop through the line. There was no time to catch my breath.

• Unhelpful User

Is it still a different voice?
    did we ever get the story of why james earl jones was replaced? Or why an unconfirmed Neil Patrick Harris replaced him for a short while?

Also could this refurb possibly be to make the animatronic more like Harrison Ford now they own the rights? Maybe even get him to mumble the lines?
    Last edited by Rogermeyers; 01-21-2014 at 02:09 PM.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    did we ever get the story of why james earl jones was replaced? Or why an unconfirmed Neil Patrick Harris replaced him for a short while?

Also could this refurb possibly be to make the animatronic more like Harrison Ford now they own the rights? Maybe even get him to mumble the lines?
    There was never an official story to why it was never fully changed back. Just lots of different rumors. However the current voice does sound like the same recording just not as deep. Example:

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    There was never an official story to why it was never fully changed back. Just lots of different rumors. However the current voice does sound like the same recording just not as deep. Example:
    Sounds a lot like, after one pass, the same recordings and the same person but digitally manipulated

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post

The voice is not, and has never been, James Earl Jones. And NPH certainly wasn't the temp voice.

The voice was changed with the intention of being changed back. WDI realized after they installed the projection effects that the original voice did not sync with the new projections. A temp voice was recorded and used for a few weeks so the projection effects could run while they edited and re-synced the original voice to match the new projections.

If this was a new attraction, it would have been worked out in the test-and-adjust phase of installation, but because Indy is a daily operation attraction, WDI decided to use temp audio so the effects could be used while the timing of the original audio was fixed.

Ehh, I personally have mixed feelings about the new projections. I rode the attraction apparently the day before they turned on the new projectors and I thought that it was fine the way it is. The new projection mapping technology is nice, but I don't think its needed and I certainly do not like the fact that there is the new voice. I feel like rather than creating fanciful effects that only work X% of the time, WDI should work on effects that might be a little less effective, but at least have a higher reliability rate. Effects like the collapsing ceiling and rotating doors to the chamber of destiny are amazing, but their reliability rate is less than impressive. I think that they could work in "compromises" to keep the attraction stocked with working effects like for the rotating doors, instead of physically moving them, just change the lighting and the spiel for each vehicle that comes through.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

I went a couple of weeks ago and everything was working perfectly fine the 3 times I rode it. Although the ride seemed much faster and the chamber of destiny was incredibly loud. Even the spikes in the queue were in working order! I hope they fix some of the old effects such as the lava room (looks worse every time I go on)....

I was in the park on January 9th and rode Indy twice. Went through two different "doors" the door worked each time. The boulder scene worked both times, and everything seemed in working order to me. I'm surprised to hear about another refurb. Maybe they are bringing back the crumbling ceiling effect for the 60th.

• #bringevilback

Something was off today at Indy. Not sure if it was a backup in the loading that caused the ride to back up but we stopped several times toward the end, right before the dart room, right at the end of the dart room, right at the boulder (watched it retreat from the previous car and then come back down, then right at the bottom of the hill after the bolder, in pitch black! With the first stop I was kind of excited for the chance to maybe walk off or ride with lights on and go again, but after it kept stopping I figured it was backed up. Such a bummer, and no re-ride offer...

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The voice is not, and has never been, James Earl Jones. And NPH certainly wasn't the temp voice.

The voice was changed with the intention of being changed back. WDI realized after they installed the projection effects that the original voice did not sync with the new projections. A temp voice was recorded and used for a few weeks so the projection effects could run while they edited and re-synced the original voice to match the new projections.

If this was a new attraction, it would have been worked out in the test-and-adjust phase of installation, but because Indy is a daily operation attraction, WDI decided to use temp audio so the effects could be used while the timing of the original audio was fixed.
    My concern is when they edited the original audio to match the projections why did they change the way it sounds when you first find out which "door" you get. It's definitely not as deep and has lost some of it's effect as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Something was off today at Indy. Not sure if it was a backup in the loading that caused the ride to back up but we stopped several times toward the end, right before the dart room, right at the end of the dart room, right at the boulder (watched it retreat from the previous car and then come back down, then right at the bottom of the hill after the bolder, in pitch black! With the first stop I was kind of excited for the chance to maybe walk off or ride with lights on and go again, but after it kept stopping I figured it was backed up. Such a bummer, and no re-ride offer...
    The ride's computer will do that if they sense that there's two many cars in one area, most likely because of cascading from loading and unloading. I've been stopped numerous times on the ride and I'm personally quite used to it happening after several times like that now.

My concern is when they edited the original audio to match the projections why did they change the way it sounds when you first find out which "door" you get. It's definitely not as deep and has lost some of it's effect as a result.
    I definitely agree that something went wrong with their "editing" as to me it now sounds like Mara is a CM lightly scolding guests for flash photography.

• Comes out to socialize!

I hope they bump up the intensity, fix the doors once and for all, and then sync up Sallah's sayings at the end to the door you actually went through. That would be awesome! Maybe even restore Mara's old voice back. The version they are using now isn't terrible it's certainly better than that BS they tried earlier but it's still not as good as it once was. It's unlikely, but I can dream.
    They probably made the voice higher so you could actually hear it with the new lightning sound effects in the Observatory of the Future.
    Happy Halloween..er...Christmas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast