Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1

    • Donald's #1 Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    966

    Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    ...everything that was built during Walt's era and a couple of years later, and you don't care about the rest (or do care but you could live without it?)

    I was talking about this with my wife. What was that we really loved about DL.

    Even though we think Cars Land is beyond impressive, nobody ever mentioned it. We think the Carthay Circle and Buena Vista street are beautiful, but again, no mention of it. Same thing with... say, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mountain, ToonTown, etc.

    What did we really love?

    Walking down Main Street, enjoying the layout of the park and its charming gardens, eating ice cream at the hub, looking at and riding the Matterhorn, admiring our little Castle, Space Mountain, the Subs (yeah!, the subs!), the Golden Horseshoe, Mark Twain, Haunted Mansion, sitting down and watching people on New Orleans Square, and everything about Fantasyland.

    Except for Fantasyland (which has somewhat the same attractions, only more modern or shuffled around) - EVERYTHING was built during Walt's lifetime. He personally approved or designed or was somehow involved with it.

    We wouldn't mind if Indy disappeared overnight - but we'd stop visiting DL if it's a small world or Pirates of the Caribbean (our all time favorite attractions ever) were removed.

    They could flatten Toontown and we wouldn't care. Splash Mountain and Poo could go away. Same thing. We'd still visit.

    We finally realized - we are in love with Walt's touch. His vision was pure, crystal clear, forceful and defined. Later CEO's or Presidents or whatever have merely eroded or, at best, mantained what was perfect in the first place.

    There's only a single thing we'd miss if it was gone. Fantasmic! We agree - that one is completely fantastic. The rest?

    I guess we could perfectly live with Walt's Disneyland.

    I wonder if we are alone on this one.

  2. #2

    • Tiki Dancer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,121

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    When I visited Disneyland as a kid, I was more impressed with going on rides and seeing the characters. Throughout my adult years, I have become more excited about the architecture, art work, decorations, and making new discoveries. My boyfriend and I come from art backgrounds so we enjoy the little details of a building or painting. We love popping in and out of the shops all over the park, hoping for inspiration on our future projects. The love for rides and seeing characters are still a fun thing for us. While it's nice to experience a brand new attraction or an enhancement of another, we hope Disneyland stays true to Walt's vision.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes
    Posts
    114

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Growing up with Disneyland (started coming here annually since 2000), all those places that you mentioned like Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, Toon Town, Fantasyland, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Mark Twain, etc., would really hurt me if they were to be removed. Heck, I miss the C A L I F O R N I A letters and the Golden Gate bridge in DCA. Even the Silly Symphony Swings! Though, some places I will say will be missed more than others. For example, Golden Dreams (the Whoopie Goldberg movie in DCA) I didn't really miss at all. If Aladdin: The Musical Spectacular was replaced, that would REALLY hurt but I'd still go to DCA, but would spend MOST of my day at Disneyland. If Splash Mountain, any of the storybook rides in Fantasyland (like Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan), Space Mountain, the tea cups, Haunted Mansion, POTC, any of the classic rides, Disney would feel empty and I wouldn't really see the point of going if they are gone. But, Disney is a company that keeps moving forward, and new and old guests would learn to adapt to the changes. I guess it really depends on what you really connect to in the parks.
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

  4. #4

    • Donald's #1 Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    966

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    When I visited Disneyland as a kid, I was more impressed with going on rides and seeing the characters. Throughout my adult years, I have become more excited about the architecture, art work, decorations, and making new discoveries.
    I guess this is it...

    It's not about the rides anymore. It's about the complete experience.

  5. #5

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    When I was little, I was 3-4, I had a magnificent time sailing past pirates, watching bears play string instruments and driving cars. Disneyland was the best place on earth. Still is.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,460

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    In Walt’s own words:

    “We’ve begun to build Disneyland, the place. We hope that it will be unlike anything else on this Earth. A fair, an amusement park, an exhibition, a city from “The Arabian Nights,” a metropolis of the future… in fact, a place of hopes and dreams, facts and fancy, all in one.”

    - Walt Disney, from the first episode of the ABC TV series “Disneyland,” broadcast in October 1954

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I guess this is it...

    It's not about the rides anymore. It's about the complete experience.
    Yup. I do enjoy the rides - including some in DCA - but definitely, it's the complete experience. For me, that is the main difference between Disney and any of the other amusement parks.

  8. #8

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,684
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    My first visit to Disneyland was during the big celebration of 2005, so that's the Disneyland that I fell in love with. I love the place. There is just this feeling of joy that comes over me when I arrive at the esplanade that I can't entirely explain. I guess those of you, who feel the same, understand. Those of you who don't feel this way will never quite get it.

  9. #9

    • formerly very helpful
    • Online

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,522

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I guess this is it...

    It's not about the rides anymore. It's about the complete experience.
    Well said. I love Disneyland because it touches me emotionally. It makes me feel good. All of it.

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    15

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    I think it would be quite unfair (and potentially disrespectful) to the hard working, talented imagineers who have poured their heart and soul into making the park(s) as magical as can be to simply dismiss anything that wasn't approved by Walt himself.

    For all his accomplishments and visions, Walt was a human who erred like any other, though TWDC may try to hide that. Some aspects of the original Disneyland vision faltered, and only through years of witnessing this or through corrections made by later imagineers.

    For myself, it is that DLR is a blend of the traditional, like Fantasyland dark rides; and the new, like Space Mountain or California Screamin', that make the parks so exciting and magical and fun. When he said "Disneyland will never be complete" I'm sure Walt knew that this would carry on far after his demise. And those carrying on his legacy have more than kept up their end of the bargain.

    In fact, it's probably the legacy of Walt vision which has been so instrumental in creating the park as it is today, more so even than Walt's work itself. Even a casual visitor can see that Walt is practically hailed as a deity in the park, and the constant effort to please this legacy is a key reason why even 50 years after his death, Disneyland still embodies the same spirit as it has since opening day (except now the water fountains work)

  11. #11

    • Tom Chaney R.I. P.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just somewhere south of dysfunctional
    Posts
    3,225

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    ...everything that was built during Walt's era and a couple of years later, and you don't care about the rest (or do care but you could live without it?)

    I was talking about this with my wife. What was that we really loved about DL.

    Even though we think Cars Land is beyond impressive, nobody ever mentioned it. We think the Carthay Circle and Buena Vista street are beautiful, but again, no mention of it. Same thing with... say, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mountain, ToonTown, etc.

    What did we really love?

    Walking down Main Street, enjoying the layout of the park and its charming gardens, eating ice cream at the hub, looking at and riding the Matterhorn, admiring our little Castle, Space Mountain, the Subs (yeah!, the subs!), the Golden Horseshoe, Mark Twain, Haunted Mansion, sitting down and watching people on New Orleans Square, and everything about Fantasyland.

    Except for Fantasyland (which has somewhat the same attractions, only more modern or shuffled around) - EVERYTHING was built during Walt's lifetime. He personally approved or designed or was somehow involved with it.

    We wouldn't mind if Indy disappeared overnight - but we'd stop visiting DL if it's a small world or Pirates of the Caribbean (our all time favorite attractions ever) were removed.

    They could flatten Toontown and we wouldn't care. Splash Mountain and Poo could go away. Same thing. We'd still visit.

    We finally realized - we are in love with Walt's touch. His vision was pure, crystal clear, forceful and defined. Later CEO's or Presidents or whatever have merely eroded or, at best, mantained what was perfect in the first place.

    There's only a single thing we'd miss if it was gone. Fantasmic! We agree - that one is completely fantastic. The rest?

    I guess we could perfectly live with Walt's Disneyland.

    I wonder if we are alone on this one.
    The problem with your post is that is simply wrong, you have your facts wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Even though we think Cars Land is beyond impressive, nobody ever mentioned it. We think the Carthay Circle and Buena Vista street are beautiful, but again, no mention of it. Same thing with... say, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mountain, ToonTown, etc.
    You say that no one ever nobody ever mentions them, false You have never sat around and talked hours on end about these things with me and my Disney friends. so on that account you have failed.

    Another point Walt himself said something along the line of Disneyland will never be finished, So in that light you are dismissing Walt Disney dream.
    so really all I can is that you failed to make a valid argument.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE





    PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

  12. #12

    • Among mad people
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    91

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    I think fjhuerta is referring to "we" and "no one" as in him and his wife, not the whole disney fan population. Due to that, you can't fault him on his opinion of why he likes the park.
    Just sayin'

  13. #13

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Just an fyi ... Space Mountain was something Walt thought up, as early as 1964, and wanted it for the new TL'67. Just not the technology to make it happen, just quite yet.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

  14. #14

    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,071

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    You say that no one ever nobody ever mentions them, false
    The OP stated that the discussion was only between family members. Unless you were present at said discussion, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

    You have never sat around and talked hours on end about these things with me and my Disney friends. so on that account you have failed.
    ...or maybe dodged a bullet.

    Another point Walt himself said something along the line of Disneyland will never be finished, So in that light you are dismissing Walt Disney dream.
    so really all I can is that you failed to make a valid argument.
    The one complaint I see in the original post is that many new additions are erosive, rather than supportive and constructive, to the Park (in their opinion), not that new additions should never be considered.

  15. #15

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Did you ever stop and wonder what is it that maybe you love DL because of....

    Actually when I was leaving the theater after watching Saving Mr. Banks, the one thing that I was thinking about from that movie was how sad I was that the Disney company today was so, so very different from the one that was portrayed in the movie. In the movie everything was creative and all of the employees really were genuinely happy (even the limo driver was happy). I know exactly what that feels like because I was like that too when I first hired in. I know that not everything was perfect when Walt was in charge (there's a lot of information about the strike at Disneyland that supposedly really changed things for him), but it obviously was far better then it is today.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Did you ever wonder Where Radiator Springs is?
    By Jetlife in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  2. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM
  3. Ever wonder what Cast members think?
    By DemonicDemona in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 10:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
  5. Ever Wonder What Happened To Tommy Kirk?
    By desertdweller in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •