• Future Imagineer

Beyond the Sea: Right Ear's way to perserve the Submarine Lagoon

Hey there, with all the talk of the Submarine Voyage becoming a permanent resident of Yesterland, I'd like to through my 2 cents on how to preserve the aspect that should be saved, the Sub Lagoon.

Now, my original concept was to make the lagoon host to a new version of Aquatopia (from DisneySea) but have since then scrapped that idea, mainly due to another forum member already posting it. So my idea is that rather than having tomorrowland keep the lagoon for an attraction, how about redoing the surrounding area to become a Mountain Village-themed area to complement the Matterhorn (not a land, just a sub-area of Fantasyland). Here's a concept from a WDW version to better illustrate what I'm talking about:

Unlike the concept art, the DL version would have to be adjusted to the existing Sub lagoon and that those attractions listed aren't apart of the concept. The TL side of the village will feature a few shops and restaurants, with room left for a Fantasyland Expansion and a new TL ride behind it (which is why there isn't any attractions on the TL side of the Fantasyland expansion). Adjustments will have to be made to the Monorail track and the station to accommodate any expansion in this area (which is already in talks), which either means a complete remodel of the existing in-park layout or just a big bite out of the exixsting layout. The façade of BLAB will be redone to go along with this expansion, with the facades of this area influenced by German, Norway (hint, hint ), and Switzerland. The facades will block some view of the area from TL (not the Matterhorn) with appropriately themed facades on that side of the buildings.

Now, what's your thoughts on how to preserve the Submarine lagoon?
    Last edited by Right Ear; 01-21-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Re: Beyond the Sea: Right Ear's way to perserve the Submarine Lagoon

I just really don't see where there is room in that area for any expansion. If you keep the lagoon, you cant add anything else due to a lack of space really.

• keh!

I can't let this thread disappear into the archives with out praising you on your concept art. Its simplicity is beautiful and reads well enough to get an imaginative mind stirring. I like your style, thank you for sharing.

I actually like this idea. It's not Star Wars Land, so I totally approve. In the past I thought of ideas for making the area around the Matterhorn more Swiss. You mentioned you originally thought of installing an Aquatopia in the lagoon, naaahhh. The Aquatopia in TDS looks cool but it's not that impressive. It's a little boring, but kind of cute I guess when you spin in circles. But I would prefer a deep lagoon over one that is 1 ft. deep.

Nicely done!

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    I just really don't see where there is room in that area for any expansion. If you keep the lagoon, you cant add anything else due to a lack of space really.
    There's actually a ton of space. Assuming the boat ride uses show buildings such as repurposing the already existing Subs showbuilding, that frees up that area, although I think this expansion would better take up the old Motorboat Cruise area and the Autopia land north of the lagoon.

And that concept art is amazing. Well done!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    There's actually a ton of space.
    Can space be measured in tons?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    Can space be measured in tons?
    Technically, yes. "Space" defined as a volume would entail air, water, tourists, duck poop and any number of other things located within them. By defining what approximate percentage of a given "space" would be earth/solid, what would be living, what would be air, how much duck poop etc., you could achieve a reasonable "average" size for an average ton of space.

I only fear that a ton of space may not be enough. Probably should up that to a few thousand tons of space.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Good stuff
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com