Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: "... and no license is required!"

Although I don't have kids or strollers, I pushed much bigger, heavier dollies full of stock through the parks every day for three years and never hit anyone (including the crazy busy ELP farewell season). It's really not that hard but you have to pay attention to what you are doing. Even crossing Main St right before a parade it is possible to not hit someone. You do kind of have to keep your head on a swivel but it's not that hard.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Not to offend the original poster, but in reading your account of the situation, it seems to me that you actually escalated it. She hits you, you say "Oww," and she says, "Sorry. I can't see that far."

Even if it didn't sound sincere, what is the point of then saying anything other than, "It's okay," or "No problem," if the point wasn't to actually escalate the situation? It's an accident, right?

Saying, "Well, if you can't see the end of it, maybe you shouldn't be pushing it," while true, only really serves the purpose of putting the other person on the defensive, to which they will lash out...which she did.

I've been hit by strollers and I have had wheelchairs run over my feet. I said nothing to any of the people. It's Disneyland. It's crowded. Stuff happens. And even if it was on purpose, what's the point? Now, if the same person kept bumping and running over people, then it is time to say something.

I don't have kids, but the last time I went to the Resort, my girlfriend, her mother, and I took my girlfriend's 2.5 year old niece too. My girlfriend's mother had to go to the ticketbooth to finish up her annual pass stuff, so my girlfriend and I took the toddler over to rent a stroller, and then I maneuvered a stroller for the first time off and on that day. I found out something I never knew--it's not easy! Just like driving a car for the first time, you have to get used to how the stroller handles and you have to get used to its length. One should stop short and give him or herself a bubble so as to avoid hitting people--and I did--but I can completely understand someone hitting someone by accident.

Anyway, not here to rag on you, so please don't take it that way. Just seems like the situation wouldn't have happened if you'd just accepted the apology, seemingly insincere or not. Just my opinion. It's worth about $0.02, maybe less :-)
    Yup. I could have said nothing - you're right. Even pointing out to the woman that maybe she shouldn't be pushing around a stroller that she "couldn't see that far" in front of is very unlikely to make a difference to her as to her behavior, or certainly won't be likely to make her use a smaller stroller - or maybe even leave the stroller at home.
    However, maybe, just maybe, she might possibly start paying more attention to how far her stroller extends and try not to hit people with it in the future?
    We weren't in a big crowd of people with individuals darting in and out in front of us and foot traffic shoving their way through. We were in a small single line inside the camera shop. There were no circumstances to excuse her "accident" except that she wasn't paying attention and couldn't "see that far".
    If someone is driving a car it is up to them to be able to determine how far their car extends - even if they can't actually see the front of the car - and drive appropriately, leaving enough space between their car and others. They shouldn't be allowed to just crash into people because they're driving a Cadillac instead of a Honda Fit.
    It should be the same for strollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Although I don't have kids or strollers, I pushed much bigger, heavier dollies full of stock through the parks every day for three years and never hit anyone (including the crazy busy ELP farewell season). It's really not that hard but you have to pay attention to what you are doing. Even crossing Main St right before a parade it is possible to not hit someone. You do kind of have to keep your head on a swivel but it's not that hard.

Bottom Line: You have to be AWARE of your surroundings. It's the same as if you were driving a car, a bike, whatever. It also applies to pedestrians. People that don't pay attention get hit or hit others.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Bottom Line: You have to be AWARE of your surroundings. It's the same as if you were driving a car, a bike, whatever. It also applies to pedestrians. People that don't pay attention get hit or hit others.
    You're right. People walk into other people at the parks all the time. Easy to get distracted by all the sights, etc. If people kind of bump into each other accidentally (especially in a crowd) it is understandable to a degree, and a simple "sorry" is usually appreciated. If they practically knock you down in their oblivion to their surroundings it's something else. If they do it with a "weapon on wheels" it something else, too.

• Seed and Mulch

The problem is not strollers. The problem is Nimitz-class strollers being utilized as combo shopping carts/luggage carts because people want to transport every possible item they could ever want or need around the park all day. And this is not entirely the fault of the general public ... the reason people want to carry all this crap with them all day is because Disney has encouraged it - the locker and stroller rental and food and beverage prices are through the roof because Disney is price gouging. People react by bringing the stuff from home and trucking it along with them all day - and creating massive traffic flow issues as well as the more-than-occasional stroller related bruising and cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Yup. I could have said nothing - you're right. Even pointing out to the woman that maybe she shouldn't be pushing around a stroller that she "couldn't see that far" in front of is very unlikely to make a difference to her as to her behavior, or certainly won't be likely to make her use a smaller stroller - or maybe even leave the stroller at home.
    However, maybe, just maybe, she might possibly start paying more attention to how far her stroller extends and try not to hit people with it in the future?
    We weren't in a big crowd of people with individuals darting in and out in front of us and foot traffic shoving their way through. We were in a small single line inside the camera shop. There were no circumstances to excuse her "accident" except that she wasn't paying attention and couldn't "see that far".
    If someone is driving a car it is up to them to be able to determine how far their car extends - even if they can't actually see the front of the car - and drive appropriately, leaving enough space between their car and others. They shouldn't be allowed to just crash into people because they're driving a Cadillac instead of a Honda Fit.
    It should be the same for strollers.
    My only point is that it became a "scene" because, at least according to your account, you didn't accept the apology and instead had a sarcastic reply to her ('Well maybe you shouldn't be driving that if you can't see that far.'). You seem to be offended that she ended up yelling at you, but that seems to be a predictable response from her with the situation as you have described it.

Anyway, there rarely is an excuse for an accident. That's what makes it an accident. It's unintentional. Prior actions could have prevented it, but those prior actions didn't take place. But you're putting accident in quotes. Are you vaguely implying that she maliciously and intentionally rammed her stroller into you? An intentional act would be much different and I would be right behind you in correct her unfortunate and ill-advised behavior.

If it actually was an accident, it was either a momentary lapse in judgement or, worse, careless disregard. If it was careless disregard, then I can understand your frustration. But how could you know? Maybe you do know. Obviously I wasn't there, so perhaps something clued you in to it :-)

Anyway, I am super-aware at Disneyland. I am constantly slithering, turning, writhing, and skipping around, by, and through people who are paying no attention. And I just know that if I did nothing and let them slam into me, a certain percentage of them would blame me. Yet despite being hyper-aware, people still do bump into me (and apologize) and every so often I end up bumping into someone else (example: backing up after ordering food without looking and hitting the person behind me).

What I don't understand is wanting to license stroller operators and the comparison to cars. This is a ridiculous concept.

• Loving all things Disney!

No, sorry, this is not a thread about Autopia.
    I just had an unpleasant (and slightly bizarre) experience today at DCA that I hope you will allow me to vent about here.
    We were in line in the Kingswell Camera Shop when a woman came up behind me and pushed a realllly long stroller smack into the back of my leg and made my knee buckle, almost knocked me down. I said "Owwww!!!" and she looked at me, seemingly oblivious to what she had done. (There were no children in the stroller.) When I told her "You didn't have to push it all the way into my leg!"
    She said "Sorry, I can't see that far." (~Because the stroller was so long she couldn't see to the end of it? -and the "sorry" did not sound at all sincere.) I did tell her that if she couldn't see to the end of it maybe she shouldn't be pushing such a long stroller around - and then she started to yell at me (how dare you! that's crazy! etc.) A cast member came over when she heard her yelling and (I think) handled the situation very well, just stood between me and the woman (and her stroller, which was still in front of her, next to my leg) and said "I'll just stand here, and that way no one will get hurt." (except I already had been hurt, but that wasn't the CM's fault). As I was next in line and was soon able to get away from the woman and her stroller the CM didn't have to stand there long.

Another cast member said to me soon afterwards "If she couldn't see to the end of the stroller to know where she was pushing it, do you think she drove here?!! Maybe the kids drove!"

My knee still hurts.
    Maybe with some of the oversized strollers people are pushing around licenses should be required?

I don't want to make anyone upset here, but, honestly, it was just an accident. I don't think too many people wake up in their hotel room with their young children in the morning having the intent to ram down as many people as possible in Disneyland with their child's stroller. I understand that you were upset because you were knocked into by a stroller, but I feel bad for the "stroller mom". Heck, I probably would have gotten just a tad bit upset too if I wasn't aware that I hit someone with my stroller and someone makes a kinda snarky comment about how I didn't need to push it all the way into their leg and that if I can't see past my stroller, I shouldn't even drive one at all. I think that this situation wouldn't have escalated so quickly if we could all just show some compassion and empathy for each other.

I guess I just think, your at Disneyland, the happiest place on Earth,... don't let little minor things escalate!

• Minion

Strollers are evil when used in a pushy, impatient manner.

I find it fascinating that there are people "defending" the rude woman who rammed her stroller into you, accident or not. I would have absolutely escalated the situation, your response was very restrained in my opinion. I don't find it appropriate to make excuses for rude behavior and your calling her out on it may have inspired her to be more careful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Like everything.. when misused, exaggerated, and mixed with inconsiderate people.. bad things happen.

People aren't against strollers... they are against
    - Titantic Sized Strollers in busy congested places
    - People bringing excess strollers into the park because it's the easiest way to appease little Johnny's lazy fits
    - People being oblivious to their surroundings when coupled with large strollers
    - Stroller drivers who run them into people

It's the inconsiderate people ARMED with strollers that bring the bad stigma.
    This is exactly how I feel. I often complain to the people I am in the parks with about strollers, but the strollers usually arent the reason, it is the people operating them. I have seen some strollers that should be regulated by the DMV they are so large. I have also seen people sitting in strollers that look old enough to drive a car. If you have small children and you need a stroller for them and a diaper bag, you should absolutely be able to take care of that need without people complaining. But you need to be responsible for your stroller and where you are pushing it and who you are pushing it into.

There will always be bad eggs in both crowds (the i need a stroller/anti-stroller) but it is that way with everything. People need to start paying attention to what they are doing and everything will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post

I don't want to make anyone upset here, but, honestly, it was just an accident. I don't think too many people wake up in their hotel room with their young children in the morning having the intent to ram down as many people as possible in Disneyland with their child's stroller. I understand that you were upset because you were knocked into by a stroller, but I feel bad for the "stroller mom". Heck, I probably would have gotten just a tad bit upset too if I wasn't aware that I hit someone with my stroller and someone makes a kinda snarky comment about how I didn't need to push it all the way into their leg and that if I can't see past my stroller, I shouldn't even drive one at all. I think that this situation wouldn't have escalated so quickly if we could all just show some compassion and empathy for each other.

I guess I just think, your at Disneyland, the happiest place on Earth,... don't let little minor things escalate!

Incorrect. People use their strollers as battering rams all the time to get through crowds. It's quite obvious when it's done intentionally and when it is a genuine accident. If it was an accident and the person apologizes cool, no problem. It's the idiots that use them as weapons. I have a very weak right ankle and torn tendons/ligaments in both my knees, so I don't need people ramming into my feet/legs because they are impatient. Yes, I escelate in situations like that as well.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    This. 10000%.

For Scarlett Spanky, I'm really sorry that happened to you. That situation sounds as though it bites all the way around. I hope your knee will be OK!
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    Incorrect. People use their strollers as battering rams all the time to get through crowds. It's quite obvious when it's done intentionally and when it is a genuine accident. If it was an accident and the person apologizes cool, no problem. It's the idiots that use them as weapons. I have a very weak right ankle and torn tendons/ligaments in both my knees, so I don't need people ramming into my feet/legs because they are impatient. Yes, I escelate in situations like that as well.
    Agreed. I've been deliberately rammed numerous times in the park several times. I've seen people in the subway shove their strollers through the doors as they close, in the hopes that the stroller will jam the door open long enough for them to get in. People do use them as battering rams from time to time.

It is perhaps another situation, like the one with the DAS, where the bad apples spoil it and make people cynical of all.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    I find it fascinating that there are people "defending" the rude woman who rammed her stroller into you, accident or not. I would have absolutely escalated the situation, your response was very restrained in my opinion. I don't find it appropriate to make excuses for rude behavior and your calling her out on it may have inspired her to be more careful in the future.
    Based upon the description of the incident, there was an accident, the woman apologized for it (perhaps it was insincere, we don't know), and the original poster did not accept it, but rather made a snarky comment that someone like her should not be allowed to operate a stroller.

The only other explanation is that the stroller lady saw the orginal poster and thought to herself, "I'm gonna mow that woman down!"

I'm going to go with accident. Maybe it was a momentary lapse in judgement. Maybe she habitually does not pay attention. I am guessing that this brief encounter would not give one enough insight to know whether or not the operator of this stroller is normally aware of her surroundings or is habitually ramming into things like a Mommy Magoo.

Now, if later in the day, the same woman was oblivious and hit me again OR I saw her hit someone else and hurt them, THEN I might think about saying something.

Why must the default be escalation and rudeness sarcasm? Why can't it be grace and politeness?

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    Well, wait. When it comes to the original poster, what is stroller lady's plan exactly?

We were in line in the Kingswell Camera Shop when a woman came up behind me and pushed a realllly long stroller smack into the back of my leg and made my knee buckle
    She comes up behind people in line and then pushes them really hard? For what purpose? To get around them? To get everyone in line ahead of her out of line?

It just doesn't make sense. I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true. I am sure there are people that use them as rams to get through crowds. But it just seems unlikely in this case, based upon the description of the incident.
    Last edited by loungefly97; 01-22-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast