Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: "... and no license is required!"

I will admit that I don't always understand stroller culture these days. In my family kids were out of strollers by the time they were 1 or 2, they were expected to walk on their own two feet, and they were picked up in crowds.

Having said that, I fully respect that many guests need to use them. I am NOT going to judge how you transport your child.
    Maybe your kid has special needs. Maybe they just get really tired. Maybe you're worried about walking too much. Maybe you're worried about losing them in a crowd. Maybe in your family kids just ride in strollers for more years than mine did, and that's all fine.

And it's been pointed out numerous times that especially with older children with illness and special needs, a stroller is perhaps much less conspicuous than a wheelchair. If you see an 8 year old in a stroller they might be there because they just had chemo yesterday and they are tired. You don't know.

I think the key is that stroller users - like every other guest - need to be respectful of those around them. If you're wheeling a stroller (or any other large object - ECV, wheelchair, ODV cart) around the park, that means you have an obligation to be careful and not hit anyone with it.

As a stroller pushing mom at our last two disney trips (but not the next one, hooray!) I can say I would be falling over myself to apologize SINCERELY were I to bash someone with the stroller. There is just no excuse to not watch where you were going and I side with the Op 100%. An insincere apology is not acceptable.
    Also I take the smallest stroller we can and I hate having to maneuver it around the park. I'm so glad that we won't have to take it again.

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    As a stroller pushing mom at our last two disney trips (but not the next one, hooray!) I can say I would be falling over myself to apologize SINCERELY were I to bash someone with the stroller. There is just no excuse to not watch where you were going and I side with the Op 100%. An insincere apology is not acceptable.
    Also I take the smallest stroller we can and I hate having to maneuver it around the park. I'm so glad that we won't have to take it again.
    I apparently live in bizzaro world because I am so in the minority on this.

We have no idea if the apology was sincere. The OP says it didn't sound sincere, but why are we so hung up on this? It either was sincere or it wasn't. It could have sounded sincere and not been sincere. What is so hard about just accepting the apology and moving on? Why are we insistent on escalating the situation? Who does that help? Sure doesn't help your leg feel better. It doesn't help the CM that has to break it up, and it sure doesn't help the people around you who now feel incredibly awkward, and it doesn't help revent other stroller mishaps now that two people and a CM are standing there arguing. There's a .00001% chance it corrects their behavior if she's habitually unaware or did it on purpose.

And if she did ram you on purpose in order to hurt you, why would you want to escalate an argument with someone like that? What else are they willing to do?

This whole idea that one should reject the apology because it didn't sound sincere and then escalate with snarkiness is just foreign to me.

I mean, it's just my opinion, and I respect that people have different opinions. I suppose I feel arguments are things to avoid if possible (that makes me feel better) and for others arguments are a way to feel better. To each their own.

• Chief Troublemaker

I think what would have irked me is the 'But I can't see then end of it'. As if that's a valid excuse for hitting someone, even accidentally.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some sort of parental subculture that feels that they don't have to be considerate of others when they are with their children. Seems to be more 'Mombies' with little kids than dads for some reason. Stroller bumping, cutting in bathroom or grocery lines, etcetera because they think their child 'needs' to be taken care of first or that everyone needs to get out of their way. Not all parents are like that, of course. But as with all groups, those that do certainly stand out.

Yes, I'm a mom. But I managed to get through my kids' first 5 years waiting my turn and walking or standing behind people without ramming them.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Done with MC.

I think you did the right thing. In my mind she sounded flippant or dismissive of your pain and I would have made sure she wouldn't forget what she did for a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post

We have no idea if the apology was sincere. The OP says it didn't sound sincere, but why are we so hung up on this? It either was sincere or it wasn't. It could have sounded sincere and not been sincere. What is so hard about just accepting the apology and moving on? Why are we insistent on escalating the situation? Who does that help? Sure doesn't help your leg feel better. It doesn't help the CM that has to break it up, and it sure doesn't help the people around you who now feel incredibly awkward, and it doesn't help revent other stroller mishaps now that two people and a CM are standing there arguing. There's a .00001% chance it corrects their behavior if she's habitually unaware or did it on purpose.

And if she did ram you on purpose in order to hurt you, why would you want to escalate an argument with someone like that? What else are they willing to do?

This whole idea that one should reject the apology because it didn't sound sincere and then escalate with snarkiness is just foreign to me.

I mean, it's just my opinion, and I respect that people have different opinions. I suppose I feel arguments are things to avoid if possible (that makes me feel better) and for others arguments are a way to feel better. To each their own.
    I agree that arguments should be avoided if possible, however, when someone rams a person with a stroller their FIRST response should be an instant and sincere apology not some lame excuse, as in this case. We live in a world that is seemingly overrun by self-involved, obnoxiously rude people and when someone behaves in an uncivilized and uncaring manner, they should be informed of that fact. Personally, it does make me feel better to stand up for myself.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I think what would have irked me is the 'But I can't see then end of it'. As if that's a valid excuse for hitting someone, even accidentally.
    That's it, exactly. Thank you Stormy, and everyone else who seem to understand.
    Loungefly, you are of course entitled to your opinion, and I certainly am glad you feel free to express it here (really). As you said, you weren't there, but looking at it from your perspective I can see how you would want to avoid any further conflict, no matter the reason/justification given to you after someone caused you pain. Guess I'm just not quite that noble, but no, I still don't feel like I was being "snarky" in that particular situation ... although the sound of it actually is kind of entertaining ... Hmmmm ... maybe I should change my screen name to "Scarlet Snarky"?
    Thanks all for allowing me to vent here ... it actually helped to get input on all sides.

• Closed Account

Well, if you live in a bizzaro world, I must live there too! LOL I totally agree with everything your saying. I honestly don't believe that someone would actually "hunt down" their next stroller victim, and if so, why the OP? I don't believe that they woke up that morning and said, "Today feels like a day that I should ram down a random person, wait for them to make a comment, then KAPOW! I'm going to yell at them - All at the Happiest Place on Earth!" It just seems too improbable to me. IMO, what the OP described was a sincere accident. The lady might have been shocked by the OP's comment, and came off as "insincere". I know that put in the same situation, I would have behaved similarly. And I'm a pretty quiet and kind person.

Can't everyone just get along at the Happiest Place on Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post

Well, if you live in a bizzaro world, I must live there too! LOL I totally agree with everything your saying. I honestly don't believe that someone would actually "hunt down" their next stroller victim, and if so, why the OP? I don't believe that they woke up that morning and said, "Today feels like a day that I should ram down a random person, wait for them to make a comment, then KAPOW! I'm going to yell at them - All at the Happiest Place on Earth!" It just seems too improbable to me. IMO, what the OP described was a sincere accident. The lady might have been shocked by the OP's comment, and came off as "insincere". I know that put in the same situation, I would have behaved similarly. And I'm a pretty quiet and kind person.
    I think the issue was not getting hit by the stroller, or even the "insincere" apology but the excuse "Oh, I can't see around it". That is not okay. If you cannot see past the end of your stroller then you will be running into people and things all day, and that is NOT okay. If you have a stroller, ECV, or wheelchair it is your responsibility to have it under your control and not crash into people. Her excuse was that she couldn't control it but was going to continue to use it all day anyway, bashing into things, because she's a special snowflake and her desire to use the stroller trumps other peoples rights to not be hurt by her.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I think the issue was not getting hit by the stroller, or even the "insincere" apology but the excuse "Oh, I can't see around it". That is not okay. If you cannot see past the end of your stroller then you will be running into people and things all day, and that is NOT okay. If you have a stroller, ECV, or wheelchair it is your responsibility to have it under your control and not crash into people. Her excuse was that she couldn't control it but was going to continue to use it all day anyway, bashing into things, because she's a special snowflake and her desire to use the stroller trumps other peoples rights to not be hurt by her.
    THANK YOU! You understand!

•   
    • Minion

The thing with the "I can't see past the end" excuse...besides the fact that it's unreasonable...is that if you are pushing a stroller/shopping cart/etc. you can feel when it hits someone or something. If your stroller has stopped moving and come into contact with something, and there's a person right there, it's reasonable to guess that the stroller has hit the person, and it's also reasonable to immediately apologize.

It seems as though some stroller users miss this part. And honestly, some of them don't care that they hit people, IMHO. I remember that once I was on line for a book signing at a store, and the people behind me had a stroller. They hit me in the ankles with it more than once when we moved up, and I finally had to turn and say "you know, that's my foot you keep hitting. Stop and back up." They shrugged - which meant, to me, that they knew but didn't particularly care that they were running into people.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-23-2014 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post

Sounds like you've never been rammed with strollers... which I'm quite jealous of. This last time I went with my friend and we were there for a week. No lies, I was rammed at least 8 different times in one day by parents with their strollers. Infact there wasn't a single day where I wasn't hit at least twice... They ARE treated as battering rams, I can't believe some people are defending this women... And even if in this case it was an accident, her excuse was lame. The first thing she should have done was just apologize, not give some ridiculous excuse.
    Last edited by Serendie; 01-23-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Based upon the description of the incident, there was an accident, the woman apologized for it (perhaps it was insincere, we don't know), and the original poster did not accept it, but rather made a snarky comment that someone like her should not be allowed to operate a stroller.
    Why couldn't the women who hit her just apologize and not give a lame excuse...? Even if that excuse is true, it doesn't make it alright to have hit her. She should have just apologized and left it at that...

• Disneyland Dreamer

While the excuse/appology was lame (as told), the OP continued to escalate the situation... escalations can be dangerous because you don't know where the escalation will stop. Will it stop with a verbal exchange? Will it turn physical? Will actual weapons be involved? This is something someone who chooses to escalate a situation must consider. It would bed silly if you ended up seriously injured or dead over something which didn't need to be escalated. Food for thought. Makes me think of those "What would Jesus do?" rubber bracelets

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast