Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: "... and no license is required!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    The fact is that some people use strollers as battering rams or don't feel they need to pay close attention as they feel the other guy should watch out for them. Others do not. If you don't then there's nothing to see here for you. I see it like this; some people drive drunk, I do not. So when a bunch of people are bashing drunk drivers, I just shrug, knowing they're not talking about me. And I move along. I certainly don't accuse them of hating all drivers because they dislike drunk ones.

You and your children deserve no more and no less than any other guest. That means standing in lines. The fact that the person in front of you is, in your opinion, 'too old' is irrelevant. Should the 'young at heart' not ride the FL rides because we're 'too old' for Peter Pan or Snow White?
    You are missing the point. Go watch the "Evil woman" video on YouTube and you'll see first hand the type of behavior I'm talking about. Just like you said about criticism for drunk drivers, if you're not one of those immature adult people I see at Disneyland all the time then move along, there's nothing for you to see here.

I think it's a little sad that so many people think that when someone "bumps" into someone or runs over another persons foot with whatever wheeled vehicle, that the injured party should just act like nothing happened. Why should people just let this kind of carelessness go? Pretty soon, no one will care what ANYONE else thinks.

It's common courtesy to allow enough space between you and any other person, wait in line respectfully, and try not to cause another person harm.

If someone runs into me, chances are I'm going to say "ouch" or "hey" and it's not to escalate the situation, it's to bring attention to the other person's momentary lack of attention and consideration. If my saying something causes someone else to hit me or whatever, then so be it. It doesn't mean I did anything wrong, it means the other person has some sort of mental issue. I'm not spending my life afraid to speak up because someone might get mad at me or think I'm acting like a child.

• Minion

Definitely don't blame the stroller, blame the person pushing the stroller.

• Triple Goddess

I have always hated pushing a stroller. I pushed one for around 10 years or so with one or the other of my kids. Thank goodness they are all old enough not to need one.

The reason I hated pushing it around was the complete lack of common courtesy that seems to be rampant in the world. Strollers are cumbersome, not easily maneuverable and usually host, at some point in the day, a very seriously cranky passenger. I am sure that my stroller was completely visible to the people who would dart in front of me or try and cut me off. I was mortified when I accidentally bumped into someone and I cannot tell you how many times saying I am so sorry or please excuse me wasn't enough. I would get rude looks. I already felt bad, being glared at doesn't help the situation.

As to the age of the passenger, I don't care if it looks like a child is too old to be in a stroller. That is not for anyone to judge. There are many reasons that a child that looks to old to be in a stroller may be in one.

When I had to push a stroller, I would try to give myself plenty of room to maneuver. But, especially at Disneyland where it tends to get crowded, that became difficult. Seriously, it is exhausting pushing a stroller around because you do have to be so diligent.

There may be people who intentionally ram strollers into other people, but perhaps, because of threads like these where people make assumptions about people who have strollers, when getting hit or bumped with a stroller, the assumption becomes that it was intentional.
    Maybe a little common courtesy all around would help.

• Minion

So about what year was it anyway that people stopped taking strollers into the park and replaced them with Thundertanks?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by coopercaseycody View Post
    I have always hated pushing a stroller. I pushed one for around 10 years or so with one or the other of my kids. Thank goodness they are all old enough not to need one.

The reason I hated pushing it around was the complete lack of common courtesy that seems to be rampant in the world. Strollers are cumbersome, not easily maneuverable and usually host, at some point in the day, a very seriously cranky passenger. I am sure that my stroller was completely visible to the people who would dart in front of me or try and cut me off. I was mortified when I accidentally bumped into someone and I cannot tell you how many times saying I am so sorry or please excuse me wasn't enough. I would get rude looks. I already felt bad, being glared at doesn't help the situation.

As to the age of the passenger, I don't care if it looks like a child is too old to be in a stroller. That is not for anyone to judge. There are many reasons that a child that looks to old to be in a stroller may be in one.

When I had to push a stroller, I would try to give myself plenty of room to maneuver. But, especially at Disneyland where it tends to get crowded, that became difficult. Seriously, it is exhausting pushing a stroller around because you do have to be so diligent.

There may be people who intentionally ram strollers into other people, but perhaps, because of threads like these where people make assumptions about people who have strollers, when getting hit or bumped with a stroller, the assumption becomes that it was intentional.
    Maybe a little common courtesy all around would help.
    Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Go to YouTube and watch the video titled "Evil woman steals ball from little girl (High Quality)". This is the same behavior I witness frequently at Disneyland, the "I paid my money so I'm going to act like a child and get what's mine no matter who I inconvenience or trample in the process" attitude. I'm sorry, I just feel like the woman in the video is a horrible, selfish and immature human being.
    You do realize that the woman who hurt someone with a stroller and didn't care is exhibiting the exact behavior your'e condemning?

However, I find it ironic that as a father of a 6 year old that has visited Disneyland with a stroller I have to constantly read and accept the countless threads waging an undocumented war on children and their strollers.
    No one is waging a war against children OR strollers. They are waging a war against rude people. If you read this thread and thought anyone hates kids and/or strollers that was simply something your mind made up on it's own, as that is not the issue being discussed.

I am not at fault with the stroller issue. When my kids were young we had a double stroller but we were there during a really slow time so we didn't notice the crowd and had no issues. Now about the rude people, yes they are there. I was run over in a grocery store by a ladywith a cart. She was oblivious to the fact she was hitting people with it.

• Chief Troublemaker

You are missing the point. Go watch the "Evil woman" video on YouTube and you'll see first hand the type of behavior I'm talking about. Just like you said about criticism for drunk drivers, if you're not one of those immature adult people I see at Disneyland all the time then move along, there's nothing for you to see here.
    Ive seen it and it's disgusting. But the point I was trying to make is that you were the one who entered this thread and accused some of us of being anti-child and that adults acting like kids at DL was wrong.

But I don't want either of us to get in hot water with the mods. So I've expressed my opinion. Not going to go off topic any more.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    No one is waging a war against children OR strollers. They are waging a war against rude people. If you read this thread and thought anyone hates kids and/or strollers that was simply something your mind made up on it's own, as that is not the issue being discussed.
    This. Nobody criticized the woman's parenting skills; her lack of consideration was the point of discussion.

Keep in mind that people who run others over with their strollers are often hitting other parents and children.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    This. Nobody criticized the woman's parenting skills; her lack of consideration was the point of discussion.

Keep in mind that people who run others over with their strollers are often hitting other parents and children.
    Exactly. I think the reason why strollerrage gets the attention it does versus just plain rage is the addition of the stroller - something that when used as a weapon DOES hurt, and adds the increased concern of trying not to fall over on something that may contain a small child.

I'll take someone getting pissy in my face over someone using a wheeled bludgeon any day of the week. The former just means potential CM interaction with security. The latter's resulted in a good friend rebreaking her arm when a thug smacked her from behind and knocked her down with his stroller because she was in line and he wanted to get past.

It's not the vehicle itself, it's the annoying and dangerous minority who take the vehicle and turn it into a weapon.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    The problem is not strollers. The problem is Nimitz-class strollers being utilized as combo shopping carts/luggage carts because people want to transport every possible item they could ever want or need around the park all day. And this is not entirely the fault of the general public ... the reason people want to carry all this crap with them all day is because Disney has encouraged it - the locker and stroller rental and food and beverage prices are through the roof because Disney is price gouging. People react by bringing the stuff from home and trucking it along with them all day - and creating massive traffic flow issues as well as the more-than-occasional stroller related bruising and cuts.
    Totally agree. I often rent a locker so I don't have to haul a sweatshirt or purchases around, but understand that the cost can be prohibitive to some families. Since the strollers are here to stay (sigh), it would be SO nice if the Powers That Be would take the initiative to (1) Add lockers in the Plaza and drop the price. Way down. (2) Set limits on stroller size in order to lessen the traffic and stroller parking nightmare the park has become (3) Consider some form of low-cost snack option, and enforce the rule about bringing in outside food. I honestly feel that park food is reasonably priced, but I no longer have a group to feed; it's just me, or my grown daughter and me (and she has a job and money now). But there should be options for families who want small snacks for kids without taking out a second mortgage. Then they could gently tell people that they are not permitted to bring a day's worth of food past the Plaza.

The last time I went to Disneyland I was extremely annoyed at the adults acting like kids. I saw plenty of grown adults clogging up the line for character meet and greets and preventing small children from seeing their favorite character. All I saw were grown adults posing for pictures with Mickey with pouty lips and forked fingers over the eye a la Lady Gaga. These same people did nothing but monopolize Mickey's time with numerous photos until it was time for Mickey to take a break and leave a ton of small children sad and disappointed. I guess that doesn't matter though, just as long as a twenty something can get their Miley Cyrus "twerking" photo with Mickey.
    I recommend you don't go see the Thor greet and meet or the Captain Sparrow meet and greet. We walked by both of those and the line was full of women 20-40 years old to get a photo with them, I think I saw maybe 1-2 kids and that was it. It was hilarious watching all these women checking their makeup and hair before posing with the guys. I understand why, but it was still very funny.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345