Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Angry "... and no license is required!"

No, sorry, this is not a thread about Autopia.
    I just had an unpleasant (and slightly bizarre) experience today at DCA that I hope you will allow me to vent about here.
    We were in line in the Kingswell Camera Shop when a woman came up behind me and pushed a realllly long stroller smack into the back of my leg and made my knee buckle, almost knocked me down. I said "Owwww!!!" and she looked at me, seemingly oblivious to what she had done. (There were no children in the stroller.) When I told her "You didn't have to push it all the way into my leg!"
    She said "Sorry, I can't see that far." (~Because the stroller was so long she couldn't see to the end of it? -and the "sorry" did not sound at all sincere.) I did tell her that if she couldn't see to the end of it maybe she shouldn't be pushing such a long stroller around - and then she started to yell at me (how dare you! that's crazy! etc.) A cast member came over when she heard her yelling and (I think) handled the situation very well, just stood between me and the woman (and her stroller, which was still in front of her, next to my leg) and said "I'll just stand here, and that way no one will get hurt." (except I already had been hurt, but that wasn't the CM's fault). As I was next in line and was soon able to get away from the woman and her stroller the CM didn't have to stand there long.

Another cast member said to me soon afterwards "If she couldn't see to the end of the stroller to know where she was pushing it, do you think she drove here?!! Maybe the kids drove!"

My knee still hurts.
    Maybe with some of the oversized strollers people are pushing around licenses should be required?

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Re: "... and no license is required!"

That's really awful! I think Disneyland should regulate stroller size, if they don't do it already. There weren't nearly as many strollers in the park when I was young, and no one would have had the unmitigated gal to push one around without children inside.

• Nutty guy from Canada

As someone who has taken his kids into the parks in strollers I sometimes get slightly annoyed at some of the rhetoric I see about strollers on this site. The park is after all, a place for families. Families means little ones. Little ones means strollers.

Granted, as shown in the photo, we used single strollers for each one, but at least we try to be careful with them. This was from September 2012.

Having said that, I fully agree with you that if she couldn't see the end of the stroller, she probably should not have been using it. For our next trip in November, the two in the strollers, will be 5 and 4 and we won't have strollers for them. Their little sister (who joined our family back in April on 2013) however will be in one as she'll only be a year and a half or so.

So, strollers ok, but only if used in a safe and mindful way. And hey, if you make a mistake and accidentally hit someone or bump into someone, own up to it and apologize. Don't yell at the person you hit and get all huffy about parents rights. You have a responsibility to be in control of your stroller at all times and not use it as a battering ram.

On the flip side if you get hit or bumped by a stroller and get a genuine apology as it was a genuine mistake, let it go. I find that our society's me first attitude turns small things into mountains where a simple apology should smooth things over when it is a minor issue.

In this case though, the woman noted should be told to use a smaller stroller before she comes into the parks next time.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• I'm not really here

I've been on both sides of this story. I've been the one getting run into by strollers, ECVs and wheelchairs.

I've also had to push my wife around in a wheelchair and had adults and teens rush and jump over the legs of the chair, or cut inches in front of us as we walk and had to jerk to a halt hurting my wife.

There are people on both sides of the problem that pay very little attention to the world and others around them, caught up in their own little bubble of "me."

And the excuse that she can't see how far out it is is just lame. If you can't see, then just like in your car, you leave extra room to be safe.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    As someone who has taken his kids into the parks in strollers I sometimes get slightly annoyed at some of the rhetoric I see about strollers on this site
    Like everything.. when misused, exaggerated, and mixed with inconsiderate people.. bad things happen.

People aren't against strollers... they are against
    - Titantic Sized Strollers in busy congested places
    - People bringing excess strollers into the park because it's the easiest way to appease little Johnny's lazy fits
    - People being oblivious to their surroundings when coupled with large strollers
    - Stroller drivers who run them into people

It's the inconsiderate people ARMED with strollers that bring the bad stigma.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    like everything.. When misused, exaggerated, and mixed with inconsiderate people.. Bad things happen.

People aren't against strollers... They are against
    - titantic sized strollers in busy congested places
    - people bringing excess strollers into the park because it's the easiest way to appease little johnny's lazy fits
    - people being oblivious to their surroundings when coupled with large strollers
    - stroller drivers who run them into people

it's the inconsiderate people armed with strollers that bring the bad stigma.
    exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    As someone who has taken his kids into the parks in strollers I sometimes get slightly annoyed at some of the rhetoric I see about strollers on this site. The park is after all, a place for families. Families means little ones. Little ones means strollers.

Granted, as shown in the photo, we used single strollers for each one, but at least we try to be careful with them. This was from September 2012.

Having said that, I fully agree with you that if she couldn't see the end of the stroller, she probably should not have been using it. For our next trip in November, the two in the strollers, will be 5 and 4 and we won't have strollers for them. Their little sister (who joined our family back in April on 2013) however will be in one as she'll only be a year and a half or so.

So, strollers ok, but only if used in a safe and mindful way. And hey, if you make a mistake and accidentally hit someone or bump into someone, own up to it and apologize. Don't yell at the person you hit and get all huffy about parents rights. You have a responsibility to be in control of your stroller at all times and not use it as a battering ram.

On the flip side if you get hit or bumped by a stroller and get a genuine apology as it was a genuine mistake, let it go. I find that our society's me first attitude turns small things into mountains where a simple apology should smooth things over when it is a minor issue.

In this case though, the woman noted should be told to use a smaller stroller before she comes into the parks next time.
    Your photo shows a dad and his two small children in separate reasonably sized strollers, not strollers the size of volkswagons carrying everyone's luggage and (possibly) 7 and 8 year old children. I bet you even look ahead where you're pushing them! IMHO there is no reason not to use small strollers for small children when in the parks - it's the other extreme that has made problems. In this particular case, I found it amazing that the woman was actually lame enough to claim that she couldn't see to the front of her stroller as a justifiable excuse for ramming it into me!

Quote Originally Posted by VintageMouse View Post
    That's really awful! I think Disneyland should regulate stroller size, if they don't do it already. There weren't nearly as many strollers in the park when I was young, and no one would have had the unmitigated gal to push one around without children inside.
    Thanks. They obviously don't regulate stroller size. I also think they should regulate them - sort of like carry-on luggage on airplanes. If their stroller is too large and they actually need one for a small child they could rent one from the park instead of bringing the behemoth inside.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spanky; 01-22-2014 at 09:16 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Aw, what's with the stroller hate? After all 'strollers don't hit people, people hit people'.

Seriously, just a few days ago I ran across pictures of my oldest son at Disneyland in a stroller. Pics from 1984 and 1986. 1984 was a Disney rental, the old square metal jobbers, 1986 was our own stroller. Both were small, and didn't stick out very far when being pushed. And neither was built to 'carry cargo' like some I see today. Both were perfectly adequate to push a toddler around & stow a diaper bag, which after all, is what a stroller should be for.

I agree, Disney should have a size limit on strollers, and possibly rent smaller double strollers because I realize people do have twins or children close together in age. The one I used back 'in the day' looks like a VW bug next to a Sherman Tank compared to the ones I see now.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

To the OP: Sorry you got hurt, it seems to happen more often now than in previous years that there are so many strollers in the parks and I get a little frustrated dealing with so many taking up the walkways.

But, I seem to get "bumped" more and more often in the grocery store line by people behind me with a grocery cart!! Bumping into people seems to be an epidemic everywhere! I'm baffled by this behavior.

Smile Re: "... and no license is required!"

I am of the stroller persuasion… I have a three year old and a one year old, sorry, but it's a must for us. I certainly don't run into people and am actually very careful with my stroller. With that being said, I have noticed that driving a stroller is like driving a semi truck, everyone wants to cut in front of you and pass you from all sides. I have had to brake my stroller so often when people do this because it's either brake or let someone hit my kid with their feet, legs, hands cause they need to pass the stroller. I guess we all could be a little more considerate in the Happiest Place in the World

• Chief Troublemaker

Your stroller has brakes?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Mrs. J. Depp

My parents pushed me in a small umbrella stroller, and I napped in it just fine and I turned out alright. My parents were no fuss people, still are, and I'm that way too. Less is more. You don't NEED a Jurassic Park jeep to haul your one, maybe 2 children in, and all of your earthly possessions when your stroller is vacant. This is the society we now live in.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Not to offend the original poster, but in reading your account of the situation, it seems to me that you actually escalated it. She hits you, you say "Oww," and she says, "Sorry. I can't see that far."

Even if it didn't sound sincere, what is the point of then saying anything other than, "It's okay," or "No problem," if the point wasn't to actually escalate the situation? It's an accident, right?

Saying, "Well, if you can't see the end of it, maybe you shouldn't be pushing it," while true, only really serves the purpose of putting the other person on the defensive, to which they will lash out...which she did.

I've been hit by strollers and I have had wheelchairs run over my feet. I said nothing to any of the people. It's Disneyland. It's crowded. Stuff happens. And even if it was on purpose, what's the point? Now, if the same person kept bumping and running over people, then it is time to say something.

I don't have kids, but the last time I went to the Resort, my girlfriend, her mother, and I took my girlfriend's 2.5 year old niece too. My girlfriend's mother had to go to the ticketbooth to finish up her annual pass stuff, so my girlfriend and I took the toddler over to rent a stroller, and then I maneuvered a stroller for the first time off and on that day. I found out something I never knew--it's not easy! Just like driving a car for the first time, you have to get used to how the stroller handles and you have to get used to its length. One should stop short and give him or herself a bubble so as to avoid hitting people--and I did--but I can completely understand someone hitting someone by accident.

Anyway, not here to rag on you, so please don't take it that way. Just seems like the situation wouldn't have happened if you'd just accepted the apology, seemingly insincere or not. Just my opinion. It's worth about $0.02, maybe less :-)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My parents used a stroller for me until I could walk. After that... no more stroller. We also took a lot of family walks around the neighborhood when I was a kid so I was used to doing a lot of walking by the time we visited Disney.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast