Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Comparing Disneyland to USH

So my plans for utilizing my complimentary passes in February have basically been destroyed at this point. Long story short, the friend I was doing Disney with wound up not being able to go at the last minute and now I'm stuck primarily with family who decided to tag along. The issue is my family doesn't want to do 3 full days in Disney and I don't want to waste the free days, so I agreed to compromise and pay to do one day in Disney with them instead. I'll just try and make it out again before the year is up so I can use my complimentary passes.

Now... one thing I have never done is Universal Studios. In my lifetime I was always given the choice of Universal or Disneyland and I always chose Disney. Now that I'm going to have extra days and am apparently being dragged to Hollywood for a tourist day with the family, I do have the opportunity to finally do Universal Studios. Is USH really worth the effort? Is it possible to pretty much see everything in one day or a half day?

Truth be told the only things I'm really interested in regarding USH is the Jurassic Park ride and The Simpsons ride. I'm pretty sure I could at least do those in a half day. I do like the fact that USH tickets are less than $90, so it's not like I'll break the bank going in there if I can do it.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Comparing Disneyland to USH

If you've never been there it's worth a visit once, but if the lines aren't too bad you can do the whole thing in a few hours. Jurrasic Park and Transformers are the only really good rides. The backlot tour is interesting, and King King is probably the best thing in the park. However, Universal Orlando is a thousand times better, so go ahead and visit Hollywood once, but plan your next visit to Orlando. Islands of Adventure is every bit as good as any Disney park.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

USH is one of my favorite theme parks, ever. The Studio Tour makes each visit worth it for me, no matter how many times I go. I love every single ride there, and some of the shows are really entertaining. It always takes us more than half a day to complete everything, but that's us.

Don't expect Universal to be Disneyland. Both are fun for different reasons. USH is seriously unique, in that it's an actual movie studio with a theme park attached to it.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

We did the whole park in about 5-6 hours (did not do the studio tour). The Jurassic Park ride was great, as was King Kong. It was fun and definitely worth going, but not something I would do more frequently then every few years or so.

Sounds like you need to work on your family a bit...

You can easily do three full days at Disneyland and California Adventure... but Universal Studios is a one day event - max.

In reality, you can do Universal in about 5 hours. We do Universal every summer (as part of our SoCal trip), and we always leave in the early afternoon (6 hours max).

Why don't you try to negotiate two days at Disney, and the third day at USH?

• Former Churro Jockey

However, if you're a nightlife person, I would take Universal Citywalk over Downtown Disney any day...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

USH does not compare to Disneyland IMO. But that's if you're a fan of Disneyland for reasons other than rides and attractions. The shows at USH are good, as is the Jurassic Park ride, but everything else relies way too heavily on 3D and simulators. As the others have said, if you can do the whole park in about 6 hours, including the studio tour, but you need to start early to beat the lines.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Not the Hawkguy

A thing you need to remember is that USH is doing a bunch of major construction, so the current USH is very easy to complete in 5-6 hours (including the Tram Tour, which you should do as early as possible), but the future USH, which will include WWoHP and the Despicable Me ride, will help stretch the park into more of a full-day park. City Walk is definitely a great place to be at night, though.

•   
    • Minion

The tram tour alone is worth the visit Dr Fink!!!! Don't forget to hit up Transformers it's awesome. City walk is fun as well. I love universal Studios for a whole day it;s worth it! I prefer Disneyland of course but you will enjoy it. Currently it is kind of ugly as they are buildign a lot but still fun IMO.

5-6 hours is even pushing it. I went for the first time in probably 10 years a few month ago. And it was cool, but it doesn't have the WOW factor. You do a ride once, and then youre good on it, and don't need to do it again.

Jurassic Park, Transformers, Mummy, Studio Tour are all must-dos. The simpsons ride is a headache, and the Shrek show was ok.

I do agree though that Studio Walk > Downtown Disney. Not even close

• Singing Drinker

Upper lot - if you like stunt shows, I recommend Waterworld. It's funny, and if you have ANY positive memories of the movie you will likely get a kick out of it. The permanent "House of Horrors" maze is an amusing diversion if you're a fan of Haunt style mazes (it's also a good introduction if you've never been to one - it's not particularly scary but it's well decorated). The other shows/movies depend on your tolerance for them. I haven't been to the animal show in years, but it's apparently still pretty solidly an "animal show" with a focus on the filming side. The special effects show can be fun.

Simpson's and the tour are the two 'must see' on the top side. Shrek's fun, but aging not so well. Simpson's is simply a well done ride with a stupid long line (and no FOL pass), and the tour's the tour - it's a working studio, etc.

Bottom lot is the better for rides. Beyond what you've mentioned with Jurassic Park, Mummy's got one of the best themed first 10% and queue you'll see at nearly any park - it's amazing. Of course, then it launches and... *sigh* It's a cute coaster with an amazing beginning. Transformers I'll just stick with saying it's my favorite ride right now, bar none.

If it's open and you're into it I also recommend some time in the NBC/Uni 'museum' over by Transformers. Lot of interesting stuff, including one of the BTTF Deloreans.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

USH is worth seeing at least once and the tram tour is one of the most unique attractions at any theme park. However it needs to double its number of attractions (including adding a night time show) to really be considered a full day park.

• I'm from Canada eh!

USH is a great park and worth a day trip. I highly recommend Waterworld, if it still there.

USH is somewhat fun, but to me USH died on the morning of June 1, 2008 when part of the backlot including the old King Kong Encounter on the Studio Tour was destroyed by a fire. I also can't ever forgive them for getting rid of the E.T. Adventure and Back to the Future: the Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    If you've never been there it's worth a visit once, but if the lines aren't too bad you can do the whole thing in a few hours. Jurrasic Park and Transformers are the only really good rides. The backlot tour is interesting, and King King is probably the best thing in the park. However, Universal Orlando is a thousand times better, so go ahead and visit Hollywood once, but plan your next visit to Orlando. Islands of Adventure is every bit as good as any Disney park.
    totally disagree about IOA being as good as a disney park. I thought it was kinda lacking in theming, poor layout, wasted space. The spiderman ride was good, the hulk coaster was good so was the Harry potter coasters. The hogwarts ride was ok but I thought it was pretty cheap given that it's mostly just in front of a screen the whole time. The theming of hogsmead is up to Disney Standard but yeah not enough attractions and wasted space for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast