Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you ever watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? If so, are you sad they're gone?

I am very sad and my family is disappointed as well. We would watch 2 or more shows a day and we looked forward to seeing them every year. They always recognized us. Why did Disney do that?

Re: Did you ever watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? If so, are you sad they're gon

I used to each chili fries while watching their show. I am going to miss it, but it was due for retirement. Didn't it run somewhere around 20 years?

I agree that those guys were talented and put on one heck of a show, but it's time for a change. Hopefully they find something more refreshing to replace it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Re: Did you ever watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? If so, are you sad they're gon

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I used to each chili fries while watching their show. I am going to miss it, but it was due for retirement. Didn't it run somewhere around 20 years?

I agree that those guys were talented and put on one heck of a show, but it's time for a change. Hopefully they find something more refreshing to replace it.
    Yeah, it has been around for a long time. But so has Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and all of the rides. They're popular, so why take them out? I think that what they have now, probably Woody's Round-up or some cheesy thing, has taken over.

Entertainment options like the billies are cheaper to replace than attractions and are pretty much the only way they can keep the park from going stale without spending big bucks on tearing out and replacing rides or bringing in new parades.

It's more of a marketing thing than anything (that's if they get replaced). They will have the opportunity to say "Hey, we have something new. Come check it out!".

It's also probably a way to save costs. Get rid of the old and focus the time and money on newer entertainment options.

I agree the Woody's Roundup is not exacly my cup-o-tea, but then again, I'm not exactly their targeted demographic for that particular attraction.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Entertainment options like the billies are cheaper to replace than attractions and are pretty much the only way they can keep the park from going stale without spending big bucks on tearing out and replacing rides or bringing in new parades.

It's more of a marketing thing than anything (that's if they get replaced). They will have the opportunity to say "Hey, we have something new. Come check it out!".
    While that may be true, removing entertainment that park guests enjoy on a daily basis will not make them happy. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm just glad they got hired a Knott's.

EDIT: Well, yeah it is a pretty childish show, but the overall theme of Disney is aimed for a younger audience so that adults will bring their kids there. And that's probably why so many people enjoy it - everyone can have fun no matter what age because while Disney may be more childish, for lack of a better word, it is timeless. And taking out the Billy's to replace it with a stupid kid's show doesn't make sense. There's less for adults to enjoy. The park is filled with so much other stuff that young kids can do but not really the adults (excluding rides in both cases). But the new show isn't even funny and there's no talent required. I wouldn't call that entertainment.

• Hooterville, USA

Disney made a bad decision based on nothing!

They made the same decision with MSEP and we're still waiting for a suitable replacement.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I've never seen the bullies are they that big of a deal ?

• Triple Goddess

I loved Billy Hill and the Hillbillies! I am definitely sad that they are gone. My daughter learned to play the violin/fiddle because of them. They have a facebook page and I think they are planning on performing at other venues.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kmelvin06 View Post
    I've never seen the bullies are they that big of a deal ?
    Yes.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disney Philosopher

Since I have a DL AP and a Knotts SP, I can still see them on a regular basis. Need my BH & HB fix...
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    While that may be true, removing entertainment that park guests enjoy on a daily basis will not make them happy. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm just glad they got hired a Knott's.

EDIT: Well, yeah it is a pretty childish show, but the overall theme of Disney is aimed for a younger audience so that adults will bring their kids there. And that's probably why so many people enjoy it - everyone can have fun no matter what age because while Disney may be more childish, for lack of a better word, it is timeless. And taking out the Billy's to replace it with a stupid kid's show doesn't make sense. There's less for adults to enjoy. The park is filled with so much other stuff that young kids can do but not really the adults (excluding rides in both cases). But the new show isn't even funny and there's no talent required. I wouldn't call that entertainment.
    Contracted performers like the Billies will always be the first to go because they can always get cheaper replacements quicker. It's a common practice throughout many industries. Companies will try and find new, younger talent to do the same work as their older, more expensive talent at a fraction of a cost. I'm not saying it's right, but it's completely understandable.

Besides, there's still other shows around the resort that could fill your needs. I'd recommend seeing one of the performances at the Fantasy Faire, as they tend to be geared for all ages and are pretty damn funny.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Since I have a DL AP and a Knotts SP, I can still see them on a regular basis. Need my BH & HB fix...
    Exactly. They're not gone, they're just a few miles over in Buena Park
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I too miss seeing them at the Golden Horseshoe while having some chili fries. I went last week and got some chili fries and watched The Laughing Stock. Surprisingly there is a small following but it is basically the same show I seen years ago. No ad lib or playing off the audience like the Billies.

• Former Churro Jockey

I actually have never seen them. I don't know why. My dad claims he really liked them but when I was a kid we never went to the Golden Horseshoe, and then after I started working there, usually the shows were over with by the time I got off of work, so I just never got around to it. So maybe I'll end up seeing them for the first time at Knotts instead.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Yeah, well my family lives in WA and Disneyland has always been the focus of our trip. We would go to Knott's maybe 1 of 12 days. But I just live Disneyland so much more than Knott's and I don't want to give up time there to go to Knott's - the rides there seem very unsafe and I don't know why. I just feel that way but I do love riding them. I'd just rather be at Disneyland while the time we have there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast