Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Minion

Re: Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald1927 View Post
    Was the Maliboomer that popular? If I'm correct, its takes money to run rides, and if it isn't that popular, it's not worth running.
    If it was about cost-profit ratio, every ride at DCA wouldve been torn down lol. Maliboomer was more a violation of theme than anything else. Nothing takes you out of a 1920's boardwalk more than three 2000's-era high-tech thrill rides towering above everything else.

I was definitely underwhelmed by DCA 1.0, but as we've seen the park has been drastically improved. Which is also the case with Disneyland. The difference being that Walt Disney put his heart and soul and risked his financial security into making Disneyland something truly wonderful at opening, and the executives that came up with California Adventure were just intentionally doing things on the cheap.

But it's really hard to imagine Disneyland without the following attractions:

Indiana Jones Adventure
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    It's a Small World
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Star Tours
    Space Mountain

But none of them were there when it opened in 1955. Disney California Adventure might not ever be as great as Disneyland but it's a great park RIGHT NOW, and it will most certainly keep improving as Disneyland did.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Please, it was being given away for free. Without AP's that park would have had to have been closed and become the biggest embarrassment in the history of the WDC.
    At this point you could probably say the same thing about Disneyland too. Without the local AP audience, Disneyland would cease to exist.

Clearly there are bigger issues and factors involved in what determines pricing for the parks than just content. I mean after all the money poured into DCA the APs are still propping up that park and the entire resort.

I liked the original Sun Wheel face better.

• Former Churro Jockey

I actually liked the Maliboomer a lot, although it clearly did not belong in a Disney park. It would have been cool if Knott's would have bought it for their Boardwalk though.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I actually liked the Maliboomer a lot, although it clearly did not belong in a Disney park. It would have been cool if Knott's would have bought it for their Boardwalk though.
    That would be AWESOME. Stick it next to Supreme Scream and randomize which you get seated on for every ride - no way of knowing until then if you're getting launched up or down
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    I was definitely underwhelmed by DCA 1.0, but as we've seen the park has been drastically improved. Which is also the case with Disneyland. The difference being that Walt Disney put his heart and soul and risked his financial security into making Disneyland something truly wonderful at opening, and the executives that came up with California Adventure were just intentionally doing things on the cheap.

But it's really hard to imagine Disneyland without the following attractions:

Indiana Jones Adventure
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    It's a Small World
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Star Tours
    Space Mountain

But none of them were there when it opened in 1955. Disney California Adventure might not ever be as great as Disneyland but it's a great park RIGHT NOW, and it will most certainly keep improving as Disneyland did.
    This is probably the best point yet. DCA as a park has barely had over a decade to mature and is finally flourishing like they originally envisioned. I can't wait to be there on the 50th anniversary and seeing what it has become by then.
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I really liked the Eureka parade. It had an Epcot feel to it. I liked the Golden Zephyr train quite a bit, even the California letters. That said, DCA 2.0 is a million times better- more detailed, more beautiful, more enjoyable to walk around. (DCA has been one of my favorite parks to blog about as I go to SoCal about every year. I've got a zillion (it seems) pieces of concept art, trip reports, and a few long series on it. If you're really into it, check it out: Insightsand Sounds.blogspot.com)
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    And it's quite possible if we didn't those upgrades to the park we would now have something closer to a 6 flags than even a Knotts. DCA 1.0 would of fit right in.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Sock Puppet

The thing I miss about the the old DCA is the CALIFORNIA, letters in front of the park, it would be candy cane striped during the holiday, it was multi colored when WoC came out. It was always fun taking pictures in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I liked the original Sun Wheel face better.
    I agree on that one, I think it would still fit in with the theme they have now.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Meh

I miss the California letters out front too

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    At this point you could probably say the same thing about Disneyland too. Without the local AP audience, Disneyland would cease to exist.

Clearly there are bigger issues and factors involved in what determines pricing for the parks than just content. I mean after all the money poured into DCA the APs are still propping up that park and the entire resort.
    I honestly doubt that. Sure, there may be countless APs, but that is definitely not their only audience. And although their number of guests wouldn't be as high without APs, Disneyland would still be popular, no question about that. I'm just saying my family members are APs and we live in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I think you're missing the point...DCA isn't supposed to be so Disney, even though they're to make it more so. If it was, none of those rides would belong in a Disney park. Either that, or the park wouldn't even exist.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I don't miss it at all. In fact the new version has won me over and I am a big fan of it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678