Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?

We've all heard the same old spiel, how terrible of a park DCA 1.0 was and how management built it on the cheap. The parked lacked attractions and tried to make up for it with tacky shows and overpriced celebrity chef food. DCA 2.0 represents all that the original strived to be, and even more but I have to say I have moments where I miss the good old Disney's California Adventure.

I feel there is just some charm that the original park had, something truly unique. Where Disneyland represented a classic full of wonderous attractions from a different era, DCA 1.0 meant the beginning of a new modern era where rides didn't have to be based off of a movie (not that there is anything wrong with that). So to DCA 1.0 I will always have fond memories from within your gates, and your legacy will continue to live on inside the gates of Yesterland.

WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Minion

Re: Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?

not me

• Loving all things Disney!

I do miss the Golden Gate Bridge part, I thought that was cool!

I miss the emptiness and not having to deal with crowds, but truly, I don't miss the old version of the park at all. I really enjoy the changes made to the new park.

I feel there is just some charm that the original park had, something truly unique. Where Disneyland represented a classic full of wonderous attractions from a different era, DCA 1.0 meant the beginning of a new modern era where rides didn't have to be based off of a movie (not that there is anything wrong with that).

That's not what DCA 1.0 represented to me. To me, Disneyland represents Walt basically taking the seaside-amusement-park model that existed plenty of places, and one-upping the hell out of it, with rides based on essentially, all the possible ways kids might play pretend, but making them real-ish, plus a few things based on movies, balanced.

DCA 1.0 represents to me a duplicate attempt at exact the types of parks he was one-upping with Disneyland. Generic rides, not even really re-themed, but kinda, half-assedly so.
    Literally, the pier and the rollercoaster and the ferris wheel are all part of those sorts of parks, for which there might now be some nostalgia, but it's not a novel concept. It's an old one. Part of the problem, which I won't rehash because it's been said a zillion times, is that "California" as a theme, when you're already in California, is kind of pointless. But also a lot of the "Californianizing" was just to give a ride a name (Orange Stinger, I'm looking at you).

Now, I like California Screamin'. But part of why I like Disneyland so much more than other amusement parks is not just the theming but the notion that there's more to the ride than just "here's a ride that's thrilling". There's a premise or some sort of story to the rides in Disneyland. There wasn't in DCA 1.0, and there still isn't for a lot of that park.

The remedy, in that park at least, seems to have been movie-fy as much as possible, which I'm not too keen on even though I appreciate the details of Carsland, and enjoy RSR. (but at least that's more interesting that plain generic carnival rides) I still hate the idea of any name-of-movie-lands.

I can have more fun in DCA v2 than I did in DCA 1.0, but I don't find either charming or unique. I also don't find the new version of the park so very different that there's anything for me to miss about the old one.

Except the swirled in flavors in the softserve.

I think you might be on your own on this one; opening day DCA was embarrassingly terrible.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post

DCA 1.0 represents to me a duplicate attempt at exact the types of parks he was one-upping with Disneyland. Generic rides, not even really re-themed, but kinda, half-assedly so. [/COLOR]Literally, the pier and the rollercoaster and the ferris wheel are all part of those sorts of parks, for which there might now be some nostalgia, but it's not a novel concept. It's an old one. Part of the problem, which I won't rehash because it's been said a zillion times, is that "California" as a theme, when you're already in California, is kind of pointless. But also a lot of the "Californianizing" was just to give a ride a name (Orange Stinger, I'm looking at you).
    Redundant as it is, a California-themed park in California could have worked had Disney gone about it the right way. But as you said their approach seemed lazy, cheap, and tacked on. The California puns on all the shops, restaurants, and attractions made my eyes burn!

I imagine that had DCA 1.0 focused on taking you back into California's history instead of just being set in a modern day California inspired by history, that the park may have done a bit better in its first decade. Not significantly better but still better than what we got. One major example is going for the backlot/fake set theme for the Hollywood section of the park instead of the 1930s Golden Age theme. I'm sorry but there is just no excuse whatsoever for Disney choosing the former theme over the latter.

Nothing about DCA 1.0 gave the grand scope of escapism that Disney Parks were supposed to be known for and that to me was 1.0's greatest failure.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I just miss it because of nostalgia. I won't ever forget my own excitement as a child being there on opening day (which was also my grandmother's bday!). Everything I really like about old DCA then is still there now with the exception of the waves on the lagoon. Thinking back, that was actually very neat. Being on 'Screamin with waves splashing on the sides. It made Paradise Pier feel livelier.

I suppose the Golden Gate bridge on the entrance was a pretty nice homage to the bridge. Sunshine plaza had this feel good-relaxing type of ambiance.

Everything was just empty and while an "empty park" crowd-wise is nice and all it gave people a different feeling than what they get when they are at Disneyland. People expected something like Disneyland and got the Golden Gate bridge here, a giant orange there, Superstar Limo in the back. It was a weird mashup.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I still miss the parking lot.

No not really except for the Golden Gate Bridge if only there was somewhere they could relocate it

• Comes out to socialize!

I miss the Mickey ears on the loop of Screamin'.
    "Thith outrage mutht be avenged!"

•   
    • Minion

I vastly prefer DCA now, but having said that, I miss:

1. The fact that every ride in the park was essentially a walk on all the time
    2. The Mickey Ears on Screamin'
    3. The sun face on the Fun Wheel
    4. The elephants at the entrance to Hollywood Land
    5. The Golden Gate Bridge
    6. The neon "Greetings from California" postcard sign in the main gift shop
    7. The shiny silver Zephyr train/restaurant near the entrance

Name:  californiaadventurestore.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  140.2 KB
    Last edited by Malina; 01-25-2014 at 10:12 PM.

• Minion

I miss it a lot...granted, a lot of it is nostalgia, but there were still some great parts about it I miss. The Beach Boys, the Mickey on Screamin, Mulholland Madness and the other PP attractions without blatant and forced character overlays, and especially Golden Dreams (best film show Disney Parks has ever done). I miss the old aesthetic of DCA 1...some call it cheap, but I thought it was charming in its own unique way. In fact, typing this up makes me miss it even more. I know it wasn't Disneys best but I remember being actually disappointed to hear it was being overhauled. All the "cheap" original attractions got replaced at the price of a memory of my family back when the kids were younger and things were simpler. Definitely the most underrated part of Yesterland IMO.

•   
    • Minion

i didn't mind the park aesthetically but the attractions left a lot to be desired.

• formerly very helpful

While I enjoy the improvements, I do miss the California letters out front, and the movie with Woopie Goldberg. I agree they could have done a lot more with the theme, delving more into California history.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast