Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: America Sings

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: America Sings

My mom tells me that I loved it and that it was my favorite ride the first time I went to Disneyland, but I don't remember that much of it. What I do remember is the sign that said something like "We're closed to imagineer a brand new attraction" that was there for 10 years and being disappointed every year that we went to the park and there was NOT a new attraction there. Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Ironically, when I first started working at the park, for the first few months, the Outdoor Vending office was actually inside of the America Sings building. They kicked us out in early 1997 when they started working on Innoventions.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Of Two Minds, or More

I loved America Sings. My favorite scene was the Gay 90's ballroom. The geese all singing at the bar, the sad rabbit and "Won’t You Come Home Bill Bailey".

• formerly very helpful

One of my memories is that even though I would go on it early in e afternoon, generally, I would always have the soundtrack going through my mind on the hour ride home. I guess that's why I never had a problem with Its a Small World getting stuck in my mind.

^ All of this! The lyrics, music score and orchestration was nothing short of perfect and, as a boy of 6 in 1976, I remember the tripadelic, acid rock sequences with the motorcycles straight out of Easy Rider. That was one smart, fresh attraction that didn't shy away from the edgy themes of the early 70s, when it must certainly have been written.

Where anything that is written in the shadow of today's "modern" influences (e.g., hip-hop, rap) comes across as disjointed and sophomoric, the America Sings show seemed incredibly timely and in-touch. It could be that far less media existed (or was distributed, anyway) back then?

It really is too bad that this classic attraction was jettisoned when all it needed was periodic updates to one or two sequences. I guess we've learned that Disney can even fall down there? Carousel of Progress is a great show up until the final act.
    ~ Erik

I liked the show so much, I brought in a tape recorder and taped the whole show. Wish I still had it...

My favorite part was the rock'n'roll climax; great way to end the show.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Ironically, when I first started working at the park, for the first few months, the Outdoor Vending office was actually inside of the America Sings building. They kicked us out in early 1997 when they started working on Innoventions.
    Where in the building? The second floor? Was the first floor still an abandoned stage?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Where in the building? The second floor? Was the first floor still an abandoned stage?
    I think he's referring to the ten years that carousel building was empty from 1978 to 1998. The second floor I believe was also used as office space during that time and I imagine other departments have their respective spaces in there as well.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Former Churro Jockey

It was a section of the first floor. It was a very small office, so we certainly weren't the only one. And we coudn't see into the rest of the building, so I don't know if the office was where a section of theater seats would have been or not. More likely it was probably formerly a backstage control center for the show.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

It was great and a never-miss attraction for me on any Disneyland visit. I don't think I could pick just one favorite moment. Just reading this thread has truly evoked a nostalgic feeling and longing to see the show again.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Artistic integrity

CaliforniaSurfer65 ... I think you're going to like this.........

A work in progress:

MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

I could write a book about America Sings myself.

* It is my Number One favorite Disney Theme Park attraction of all time.
    * It prompted me to become an AP Holder for the first time, when I got wind in 1987 it was scheduled to close at a later time.
    * It made me use a video camera for the first time, I rented one from a shop in the Disneyland Hotel .. took the big clunky thing to record .. not once .. but several times in one day.
    * And later ... took my big clunky ghetto blaster (I can't believe I got the thing through the main gate, without being hassled) ... took it into America Sings were I made one brilliant audio recording. My ghetto blaster had a really good frequency range. From 20 hertz to 20K hertz. It picked up the air conditioning duct sounds, the rumble of the building as it turned .. the slight analog hiss of the soundtrack coming out of their speakers. I can listen to it - And I feel I'm actually there, since it was a live recording of the attraction itself. It's slightly different than the studio recording used to sell as the 33rpm Album - http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/g...0782193801.jpg. Slightly slower .. and the Down By The Riverside is so different .. as it actually sounded in the theater .... I have that metal cassette in a safe place ... analog is superior to digital ... I don't know how any digital device today can replicate it.

* And I was such a fan .. I made sure I was there ... very last show on Sunday April 10, 1988. The park was getting ready to close .... and they loaded the last auditorium at the stroke of midnight. With anxious Disneyland Management on both sides of the auditorium. I had center front row .... We all did crazy things. All 240 of us, not one empty seat left, .. had a couple sound effect pieces to play for certain songs. Those of us in the front row - Threw our legs up "can-can" style during Ta Ra Ra Boom Di-ay. It was like a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Meet. Unforgettable.

I will always thank imagineering's two main guys who put this whole thing together - Al Bertino and Marc Davis. Started with the guys on a holiday in Florida ... with one of them holding the American flag around their waist .. and the idea was born. About 1971 or 72 that was.

Perfect for the coming Bicentennial.

The show was packed with charm, heart ... which really resonated with me ... especially a time I went on it by myself, excused myself from my Mother and Grandmother .. one night on a June Monday in 1976, at the age of 12. Not many people in Tomorrowland ... strolled into that theater ... and the warm sentiment of the show ... took me by storm.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

A work in progress:

Brilliant. Lovely animation and I can't wait to see more.
    ~ Erik

• Artistic integrity

As for it's place in the land of the future ....

What helped to legitimize it ....

The unique ride system that it is.

Here's this monster sized building (200 ft wide - Same as Space Mountain) .. and every 4 minutes .. the whole first floor moves.

Being the one-of-a-kind system it was ... I think it was "futuristic" in it's own right. Unlike other musical shows utilizing AAs ... the others .. you just sat there .. like any other old fashion method! Not America Sings. You MOVED ..aka ... in futuristic style.

The other thing that helped .... as Eagle Sam winds up each act at the end ... the theater went dim .. to black .. with a "star" effect while the theater was in motion. As if we flew away .. and into the stars ... across Time & Space .... as the show progressed in chronological order in time ... in a "time machine".

The blacked out/star effect transition was a brilliant concoction. In the previous show - Carousel of Pogress ... the theater is completely lit ... even during transition from one act to another.

But anyway ... America Sings was just not going to be able to hold on.

W.E.D. spent years trying to get CoP out of Florida .. and back into Anaheim. That idea swirled among execs in W.E.D. for years .. until finally surrendering to a plan in the late 80s to create another Musical Show (AKA - America Sings) but with aliens. Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue.

Today ... because the rotating theater is so unique .... Only one of two (the other in WDW) ... I wish it could be reused. I don't know how. They probably got a few good ideas up their sleeves. I'd love to see them. I'm not convinced "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" is the only option!
    MY SIGNATURE:

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

A work in progress:

Great googly moogly! That is fantastic! Any more info on when this might be completed?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Great googly moogly! That is fantastic! Any more info on when this might be completed?
    Well, if you can get a hold of this James Lopez guy ... let me know. I'd love to know.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast