Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America Sings

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: America Sings

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Well, if you can get a hold of this James Lopez guy ... let me know. I'd love to know.
    So would I. Just checked out the site and it looks like he has been working on this for over a year. My concern would be
    if he does finish it the bag bad wolf (Disney) might come looking for him.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    So would I. Just checked out the site and it looks like he has been working on this for over a year. My concern would be
    if he does finish it the bag bad wolf (Disney) might come looking for him.
    I don't think the co. is going to care. It's only when this guy tries to profit from it, is when he needs to go through all the legal clearances.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

If money was no object ... I would happily sponsor this guy to complete soon ... rather than much later. (Which it appears to be taking him a long time.) To have America Sings captured as an animated film .. is just too precious for words. And for those with a sharp eye - Notice .. he's doing it in the animation style of films when America Sings first opened - 1974. Films like Robin Hood, The Rescuers .. both produced in that era ... same style. So .. the animation style will match the time frame of the DL Attraction .. which I think is a unique way of doing this. Very "era correct."
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

I loved the Carousel of Progress, especially the Progress City model at the end. I believe they installed America Sings to go along with the Bicentennial theme that was sweeping across the country in the years leading up to and including 1976. I remember not really liking America Sings when we went on it; I thought it was just more corny-Disney stuff along the lines of "it's a small world." And what did it have to do with Tomorrow? But I was just a kid then; today I would probably appreciate it more.

• Minion

I love it! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see this in its completed state.

What a classic attraction from top to bottom, start to finish.

I was in 5th grade in 1976 and the local district in which I attended school had some extra monies that year so they were offering up extra field trips. As part of the bicentennial celebration our school got us a field trip to Disneyland. We got to watch America on Parade, and visited those attractions that had historical and scientific interest. Lincoln, ATIS, the Mark Twain, and a couple of others. America Sings was one of them. They then allowed us to ride one other attraction of our choice and then we were to meet back at the main gate at a certain time. I will always remember that field trip, esp. the parade and America Sings.

What great times. And what a great era that was at Disneyland.

CaliforniaSurfer65 ... I think you're going to like this.........

A work in progress:

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I love it! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see this in its completed state.

What a classic attraction from top to bottom, start to finish.

I was in 5th grade in 1976 and the local district in which I attended school had some extra monies that year so they were offering up extra field trips. As part of the bicentennial celebration our school got us a field trip to Disneyland. We got to watch America on Parade, and visited those attractions that had historical and scientific interest. Lincoln, ATIS, the Mark Twain, and a couple of others. America Sings was one of them. They then allowed us to ride one other attraction of our choice and then we were to meet back at the main gate at a certain time. I will always remember that field trip, esp. the parade and America Sings.

What great times. And what a great era that was at Disneyland.
    Well .. what a frikin coincidence!!

Were you part of the Anaheim Union School District?

We did the same thing in my elementary school.

6th Grade .. May 1976 ....

It was a "Bicentennial" package:

1. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    2. Mark Twain
    3. America The Beautiful
    4. America On Parade
    5. America Sings
    6. Lunch at Coke Terrace - I distinctly remember my hot dog, soft drink, chips (or was it Fritos?), and a TWINKIE!

This was my first visit to DL ... where I was old enough to have the whole experience really sink in to my consciousness.

All other trips before .. as a child ... barely remember one or two memories.

So ... it was a standard package offered to schools in the area .. at the time.

You and I both .. and several thousand others .. go to join in on that special "Field Trip".
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-28-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Minion

I sure was.

And how could I forget America the Beautiful?

As for ATIS, my friends and I must have chosen it as our extra attraction. Loved that ride too.

And now that you mention it, I do remember eating at Coke Terrace.

Great memory being there with so many friends at once. Growing up in the vicinity I spent a lot of time at the park for birthdays, etc., but it was cool being there with ALL my classmates.

That really was a great time to grow up. Anaheim was way different than it is now. They used to have a huge patriotic celebration at the Anaheim Convention Center every year where a woman (musical director) from the school district went around and formed a grade 5/6 chorus from each of the schools. And in the spring we put on this huge patriotic production with songs, dances, tableaus, that celebrated America. All the schools came together. Was a huge undertaking for that woman to bring SO many kids together on the floor of the convention center. They even made LPs for the programs.

Anaheim was a great community and even though it was starting to get larger, still had a sense of community spirit. It's changed a lot since then.

Great memories.

Well .. what a frikin coincidence!!

Were you part of the Anaheim Union School District?

We did the same thing in my elementary school.

6th Grade .. May 1976 ....

It was a "Bicentennial" package:

1. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    2. Mark Twain
    3. America The Beautiful
    4. America On Parade
    5. America Sings
    6. Lunch at Coke Terrace - I distinctly remember my hot dog, soft drink, chips, and a TWINKIE!

This was my first visit to DL ... where I was old enough to have the whole experience really sink in to my consciousness.

All other trips before .. as a child ... barely remember one or two memories.

So ... it was a standard package offered to schools in the area .. at the time.

You and I both .. and several thousand others .. go to join in on that special "Field Trip".

James Lopez's animation is great! I hope he is able to complete the project. I like what I see so far.
    I think he's on to something. Animating some of the old shows that are no longer around could give them a new life and reach new audiences.

This discussion made me search on Youtube - found these:
    America Sings Farewell (part 1) - YouTube
    America Sings Farewell (part 2) - YouTube

Fun to watch, even if it's not commercial quality. At first I was wondering why the screen would periodically go black, then realized it was the room turning to the next scene... duhhh...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123