Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America Sings

• Minion

America Sings

I know I was one who missed The Carousel of Progress when it departed for Florida, but I must say that America Sings was a worthy replacement.

That Marc Davis was truly a genius. And what a sense of humor.

This being his first project completely apart from and without Walt, I think he did a masterful job and I miss it tremendously. I can understand why he was crushed when they closed it.

I know its audience was starting to diminish, but it was just so good. A friend of mine sent me a video of the entire show with her introducing the show as a Sings CM. Brought back such memories. The red, white, and blue costumes, the spiel, setting the car, and the show itself. Real sense of deja vu seeing it again.

For those who remember it, what was your favorite scene and character in the show?

Re: America Sings

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I know I was one who missed The Carousel of Progress when it departed for Florida, but I must say that America Sings was a worthy replacement.

That Marc Davis was truly a genius. And what a sense of humor.

This being his first project completely apart from and without Walt, I think he did a masterful job and I miss it tremendously. I can understand why he was crushed when they closed it.

I know its audience was starting to diminish, but it was just so good. A friend of mine sent me a video of the entire show with her introducing the show as a Sings CM. Brought back such memories. The red, white, and blue costumes, the spiel, setting the car, and the show itself. Real sense of deja vu seeing it again.

For those who remember it, what was your favorite scene and character in the show?
    I enjoyed it as well! My favorite was The bird in he gilded cage...I don't know why...but I loved that as a kid!
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

Sam the Eagle. Great show, very much missed. It never bothered me that it was in Tomorrowland since it was a whole show performed by, essentially, robots.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by girlonawire View Post
    I enjoyed it as well! My favorite was The bird in he gilded cage...I don't know why...but I loved that as a kid!
    I liked that one too. With the fox singing beneath her cage.

Always got a kick out of the possum mother who sang about wishing she was a single girl again. That always got laughter from the audience.

It was fun sitting there on the stool watching them react to the different characters.

• Minion

Felt the same, bigcatrik. The creativity in technology always astounded me.

Pop goes the weasel, hehe. Unfortunately my only memories of AS is watching home videos of it and walking by the closed attraction.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

It was a favorite of mine. I had the LP, which I believe I bought at the Park, and practically wore it out. I think I had the whole thing memorized. I especially liked the "Home on the Range" scene. And just the "disco ball" lighting and the "ride" between scenes was so much fun! Thanks, CASurfer65, for bringing up these memories. Now I'm curious: when did you work there? And do you have any more memories of your time as a CM?

Yep, America Sings was awesome. I really wish Disney would have documented it in detail and released it, along with other closed attractions on a dvd. Would have been great for the 50th

• formerly very helpful

I always loved it. All of it. My favorite stage was the "Down South" scene. I loved Sam the Eagle as my favorite character. It was years before I realized it was Burl Ives who did the voice. Seeing those folks in Splash Mountain just isn't the same.

I loved America Sings! I had no problem with a show about the history of American music being in Tomorrowland - maybe because I was young and didn't overthink things too much. But can you imagine if this concept was proposed today? The Internet (or at least this forum) would go insane.

• Minion

Isn't that the truth, steve? And thanks for your replies, all. I still think Disney could make an additional mint if they had quality footage of a lot of these classics and sold them.
    And sbk, I too loved Burl Ives. So unique and recognizable when you hear his voice.
    Like you, I'm glad the characters are preserved on Splash, but it just isn't the same.
    Check out youtube though…..and search America Sings. There's a pretty good quality ride- through video on there of the whole show. In fact, the woman introducing the show is another CM I used to work with at the time. Check it out. Such memories of a great attraction.

I loved America Sings but my parents hated it. I had to drag them in there to see the show. I really don't remember a lot about the show, so I will have to check out the You Tube videos.

Wow - this thread has made me remember so much about it that I'd forgotten - thanks!
    ~Nice to see some of the "performers" resurrected at Splash Mountain, but wish they could have included even more of them.

• Minion

Thanks, Werner! It was a pretty special time. I actually hired in in 1983 and left in 1984.

A lot of memories. I could probably write a book.

I remember it from the time of my interview to my last day, to be honest. I even recall the woman who interviewed me had been a former ambassador for the park, and she had moved into Casting. She asked what role I saw myself playing in the Disneyland show, and I just told her that I had always loved the park and had wanted to work there since I was a kid. I told her I didn't really care where I worked, I just wanted the experience…and whatever she saw as the best fit for me.

I got assigned to Tomorrowland Attractions.

I trained first on Autopia, and then on to Magic Journeys, America Sings, and Space Mountain. Then I went "B" status for a while and cross-trained in the Main St. Attractions area, which included Lincoln, the vehicles, Steam Trains, and the old Parking Lot at the time. After that I got trained throughout Fantasyland. So Eastside attractions mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    It was a favorite of mine. I had the LP, which I believe I bought at the Park, and practically wore it out. I think I had the whole thing memorized. I especially liked the "Home on the Range" scene. And just the "disco ball" lighting and the "ride" between scenes was so much fun! Thanks, CASurfer65, for bringing up these memories. Now I'm curious: when did you work there? And do you have any more memories of your time as a CM?

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I really wish Disney would have documented it in detail and released it
    I read somewhere that a Disney film crew filmed it before it finally closed so, if true, it's sitting in the "Disney Vault" somewhere. Also, they must have shot a bunch of high-quality footage for its opening, if not the entire show, for publicity purposes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast