Downtown Disney Parking in Pinocchio

let me preface by saying my wife and I have been Premium pass members for more than 20 years and get free parking. However one thing that has puzzled me over the years is the idea of directing Downtown Disney vehicles to the Pinocchio parking lot. As most know after a certain time in the day parking in the structure can be along walk to a crowded escalator then to the tram, after of which you have paid big money just to park. However when we go usually around 7pm we go to the Downtown Disney area then veer to the right into Pinocchio therefore parking right near the trams and away from the throngs of people. Question is how does Disney justify charging people to park in the tower when they could simply go to Downtown Disney and take the right turn into Pinocchio ? There is no time limit there like in DTD and you have a short walk to the tram. Anyone ?

• Here's my 2 cents

Re: Downtown Disney Parking in Pinocchio

Don't know how they justify it.

20 year AP holder? remember when AP's had preferred parking in the old lot? ah those were the days!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sounds like you found a loophole in the parking system.
    I thought that entrance was always blocked by arms and was used for exit only.
    I will have to look at it again when we walk that way.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Sounds like you found a loophole in the parking system.
    I thought that entrance was always blocked by arms and was used for exit only.
    I will have to look at it again when we walk that way.
    I believe that the OP was referring to a seperate entrance into the Pinocchio Lot across the street from the Downtown Disney Parking Lot. Instead of turning left into the DTD Lot, you would stay to the right to enter the Pinocchio Lot. It is not always open, but when it is, the liner is MUCH shorter. I do not quite understand what the OP is referring to. You still get charged the $15 for parking the whole day in the Pinocchio Lot.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Special Agent

The Pinocchio Lot is still reserved for oversized vehicle parking from the structure. They have to keep it available for any trucks, busses, or oversized SUVs that may arrive during the day. They can also use it as overflow parking if the structure fills up.

In the evening hours when the Downtown Disney lots are filling up and the demand for theme park parking goes down, they can give up those reserved theme park spaces and use it as overflow for Downtown Disney. Since it is already into the evening hours and the lot usually isn't opened for more than a few hours, they don't bother to man the toll booth at the exit.

• Special Agent

Let me also add that I have gone to the structure to park later in the evening and Ben directed to the Pinocchio lot. Parking in the structure usually becomes free as well after a certain time of day.

We often go to the park about 6:30 which is hardly late and on this past saturday Night we went to the DTD parking area, simply turned into the area where they were directing DTD people to park drove on in to Pinocchio lot and walked 50 yards to the tram. All this while cars were still backed up entering the Mickey and Friends and parking on the 4th level a 1/2 mile away from the tram area.

My pass includes parking, nonetheless I've never been asked for payment for parking after 6pm. I assume the precise cutoff has some relationship to park closing, and my sample size is small. If it were backed up to get in I certainly hope they still had staff at the booths to charge people, but it's possible they miscalculated how many folks would show up in the evening that day and it got backed up despite not manning the booths.