Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Hollywood to Disneyland via LAX

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    What was the nasty surprise?
    The new price. Oh, and the fact that they don't stop at the Disneyland Hotel first anymore.

When I took it a few months ago it was, I think, $36 r/t, and over the summer it was only $32 r/t - so hearing the guy cheerfully ask me for $48 was a nasty surprise for me. I'm going to have to start going via Union Station and taking Amtrak or Metrolink, because IMHO that price is ridiculous.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Artistic integrity

That means taking the Green Line (through THE BELT!) ... to the Blue Line (still in THE BELT!) ... then the Red Line .. to get you to Union Station. Hopefully you grab a train just in time .. and if they're available at all .. then once at the Fullerton station .. then you go to worry about a bus to take you down Harbor Blvd to get there.

I still think 36 is not so bad .. if it's only used once a year .. or every 2 years.

The part of going to other hotels first ... I'd love to ask you ... which ones .. and how many .. till they arrive at the DLH?

Last time I used this ... I remember the driver commenting on 2 or 3 other hotels on his "circuit" which included the Hilton .. behind the convention center. If it adds something like another 10 minutes till he finally gets to the DLH .. that won't bother me. If it adds 30 minutes or more, then .. that's going to be a bit of a drag.

Do tell me, please ... what other hotels they go to ... before finally ending up at the DLH.

Thanks
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

•   
    • Minion

I live on the West Side, so I had to take a couple of buses to get to LAX anyway. I just used the DRE because it was faster and safer than the bus. Getting to Union Station for me involves the Expo Line and the Red Line - I don't have to touch the Blue Line with a ten foot pole- so it's actually not that bad at all. Plus, I can get off the train at Anaheim and not Fullerton, and then grab ART from there. I can also just grab the Green Line to the 460 @ Norwalk and take the public bus to Disneyland, although that's not a late night option. I go down to Disneyland about once a month, so in that light, $48 each time adds up. It's a pity because I do like the DRE but I've been priced out of this one.

On my bus we stopped at Paradise Pier and Grand Californian before getting to the Disneyland Hotel, and that doesn't sound like a lot, but it honesty added 20 minutes by my watch to the trip.

• Artistic integrity

Oh.

Last time I was in SoCal .. .I remember that "Expo Line" construction .. running along the 10 freeway.

Since you go more frequently .. I can see that 32 or 48 adding up ..... and quickly, I'm sure!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Please .. don't forget to tell me which hotels that are on the "DL Express" circuit.

And of course .. you know what I meant by "The BELT!"?

I avoid it .. like you don't know!

If one has a car, driving through ... and it breaks down there ... you better start praying. LOL

And get on your cel phone fast .. and get someone to get you out! ASAP.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Artistic integrity

Forget that!

Duh ...

I just skipped your very last paragraph by accident.

Grand Californian and Paradise Pier.

thank you.

Okay .. that's not too bad.
    For a regular like yourself .. living in SoCal ... a bit of a rigmarole. And a bit costly.

For those of us ... coming in from another country .. .looking for a pleasant, safe means to get to the DLR ... the Gray Line "DL Express" is still a viable .. and relatively inexpensive means to getting down to Anaheim, from LAX.
    MY SIGNATURE:

I just researched the Metro public transportation Bus 460 toward my retirement. The Metro system should be able to get you to Disneyland in the same amount of time all told as going toward LAX and out on the Express for a lot less money.

For example, it leaves Union Station area at 8:14 am and gets to Disneyland at 10:17, with a stop along the way at Knotts Berry Farm.

And I hardly think you are selfish having come all the way from Australia. If I were to go to Australia for a once-in-a-lifetime visit and my friends wanted to go shopping when I needed an extra day visiting a sheep station or touring an opal museum, I would accept that sometimes being a nerd means being on one's own.

Have a wonderful, safe trip!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Don't use cabs in Los Angeles. Download Uber of Lyft onto your mobile phone and save a lot of money. But the best part is not having to deal with cabs in Los Angeles.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Please .. don't forget to tell me which hotels that are on the "DL Express" circuit.

And of course .. you know what I meant by "The BELT!"?

I avoid it .. like you don't know!

If one has a car, driving through ... and it breaks down there ... you better start praying. LOL

And get on your cel phone fast .. and get someone to get you out! ASAP.
    I've lived around here for over 30 years. No idea what "the BELT" is. I'll just assume it is the parts of town that have the most violent gang activity.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I've lived around here for over 30 years. No idea what "the BELT" is. I'll just assume it is the parts of town that have the most violent gang activity.
    I've heard of the colloquial term for quite some time. Having grown up in OC, and listening to it .. off and on .. by police and others .. in the news. Not so much on the net.

For other people a bit curious what I'm referring to: The belt is a line of towns between the 110 and 710 freeways .. that run a fairly straight "line" from Downtown LA to Long Beach ... These include - in this order (from north to south) South Central, Huntington Park, South Gate, Watts, Lynwood, Compton, east Carson, & northern sections of Long Beach.

This strip of towns has the most amount of violence, crime, basically gang activity. It is not recommended people go to these towns to "hang out". Especially at night.

(East LA has a reputation too - Not the best place to be "hanging around" for the fun of it. )

This graph shows the most concentrated sections of "gang" activity .. which all happen to fall on that strip of towns - or other known as 'the belt'.

http://www.streetgangs.com/wp-conten...county-sg1.jpg

This page lists 5 points in black bold .. shows you the increase of gangs in those areas, since 1960:

Gang territory map data for Los Angeles County | StreetGangs.Com

All from this site - Gangs | Sharp Teeth

And anyone who does live in this area .. is obviously very courageous .. and very streetwise.

I would recommend for any tourist coming to Southern California .. to stay the bloody heck away from those towns .. especially at night. It's just not recommended.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Go to 7th Street Metro Center Station OR Pershing Square Redline Station and connect to LA Metro 460. It will drop you off and pick you up in front of Disneyland and it gives you the option to get to the parks at opening and stay until closing.

Metrolink and Amtrak are expensive, infrequent, and will not allow you to get to the park at opening and stay until closing.

LA Metro Home | Getting Started

LA Metro Home | Maps & Timetables

Metro Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Go to 7th Street Metro Center Station OR Pershing Square Redline Station and connect to LA Metro 460. It will drop you off and pick you up in front of Disneyland

LA Metro Home | Getting Started

LA Metro Home | Maps & Timetables

Metro Trip Planner
    This. I spent thirty years in the Los Angeles area, before there even was a West Hollywood, and you should be able to take a bus down any major corridor to downtown Los Angeles. There will be movie history along every route.

I can't wait until I am able to get to Los Angeles and spend my retirement riding buses to and from Disneyland!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Re: Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?
    Actually the most economical way or you to get from west Hollywood to LAX is to use the train an hurtle system

Check the schedule for the metro red line and take it to union station. From there they have shuttles that depart every 30 minutes non stop to LAX. A taxi will be very expensive.

Another option depend on what day you are are going to the resort.

Take the red line to union station and then take the metroli I train to Orange County. Check the schedule there is actually a train station in the Angel stadium and they have free shuttles to the resort.
    If there are weekend trains you could buy a one day weekend ticket for ten dollars for the metrolink train and it allows you to use the red line and any other connecting trains for the whole day without any extra cost.

For schedules go to Welcome to Metrolink

Believe me if you can do it this way it's better than backtracking to LAX and paying the huge taxi price.

I have seen taxi charge over 100 from Los Angeles to LAX an you are going from Hollywood.

You also might want to look into the shuttles that run from universal studios to Disneyland.

Take red line for a couple dollars to universal studio entrance and then they usually have shuttles that go back and forth taking people from one theme park to the other

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You also might want to look into the shuttles that run from universal studios to Disneyland.

Take red line for a couple dollars to universal studio entrance and then they usually have shuttles that go back and forth taking people from one theme park to the other
    I know what station you speak of.

For anyone who wants to try it (visiting Uni, that is) ..... Yes ... the driving entrance is right there near the station ... but it's a long haul up that hill .. till you're really at the "main gate" to the park.

You have to look into shuttles that pick people up from the parking lot of the Red Line station .. to deliver you to the top of the hill.

If you are keen to walk that hill .. hope you are really fit, because you're going to need to be. LOL
    MY SIGNATURE:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast