Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Hollywood to Disneyland via LAX

I haven't heard the term "The Belt" before either, but I did know what it referred to. While I wouldn't recommend that someone take the Blue Line late at night, and it's a bit of a weird train - and I wouldn't recommend wandering around there - I've taken the Green Line a lot and I've also had medical appointments in South Central and I've been fine. Most of the people on the Green Line, at least during the day and early evening, seem to be regular people. There are a lot of people who work at LAX who always use that train. Most of the street harassment I've encountered taking mass transit has been in "safer" places like Santa Monica, oddly enough.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Re: Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?
    Actually the most economical way or you to get from west Hollywood to LAX is to use the train an hurtle system

Check the schedule for the metro red line and take it to union station. From there they have shuttles that depart every 30 minutes non stop to LAX. A taxi will be very expensive.

Another option depend on what day you are are going to the resort.

Take the red line to union station and then take the metroli I train to Orange County. Check the schedule there is actually a train station in the Angel stadium and they have free shuttles to the resort.
    If there are weekend trains you could buy a one day weekend ticket for ten dollars for the metrolink train and it allows you to use the red line and any other connecting trains for the whole day without any extra cost.

For schedules go to Welcome to Metrolink

Believe me if you can do it this way it's better than backtracking to LAX and paying the huge taxi price.

I have seen taxi charge over 100 from Los Angeles to LAX an you are going from Hollywood.
    If the OP is going to take a Metrolink train to Disneyland, its better for he or she to get off at Fullerton Station and transfer to OCTA bus #43, also free with a Metrolink ticket. If the OP takes it to Anaheim Station, they'll have a good 30-60min wait for the next ART bus to take them to the park. The 43 runs every 15-30mins.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Re: Does anyone miss the old DCA? Just me?
    Actually the most economical way or you to get from west Hollywood to LAX is to use the train an hurtle system

Check the schedule for the metro red line and take it to union station. From there they have shuttles that depart every 30 minutes non stop to LAX. A taxi will be very expensive.

Another option depend on what day you are are going to the resort.

Take the red line to union station and then take the metroli I train to Orange County. Check the schedule there is actually a train station in the Angel stadium and they have free shuttles to the resort.
    If there are weekend trains you could buy a one day weekend ticket for ten dollars for the metrolink train and it allows you to use the red line and any other connecting trains for the whole day without any extra cost.

For schedules go to Welcome to Metrolink

Believe me if you can do it this way it's better than backtracking to LAX and paying the huge taxi price.

I have seen taxi charge over 100 from Los Angeles to LAX an you are going from Hollywood.
    Metrolink is mainly for commuters, Mon-Fri, northbound in the morning, southbound at night.
    Last train on Saturday and Sunday northbound is at 6:45PM.

AMTRAK is a better option. Last train northbound from Anaheim Station is 11:09PM.

Last northbound Bus #460, from Disneyland (Harbor Blvd, I think, but possibly in the East Side turnaround near the park entrances): 12:17AM every day.
    WARNING: THIS BUS WILL STRAND YOU DOWNTOWN ON A SUNDAY NIGHT, as the Red Line stops operating at 12:54AM, and you don't get into downtown until after 1AM.
    There is a 10:44PM, and a 11:24PM bus that would be a better option.
    Buying a daily pass ($5 plus $1 for the reusable TAP card) would allow someone to take the 460 to the Green Line Station, risk life and limb on the Green and Blue Lines, and transfer to the Red Line at 7th Street/Metro Center.
    $6 to get to Disneyland AND back! (Plus cab to Hollywood/Highland red line station).
    Last edited by sediment; 01-30-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Metrolink is mainly for commuters, Mon-Fri, northbound in the morning, southbound at night.
    Last train on Saturday and Sunday northbound is at 6:45PM.

AMTRAK is a better option. Last train northbound from Anaheim Station is 11:09PM.

Last northbound Bus #460, from Disneyland (Harbor Blvd, I think, but possibly in the East Side turnaround near the park entrances): 12:17AM every day.
    WARNING: THIS BUS WILL STRAND YOU DOWNTOWN ON A SUNDAY NIGHT, as the Red Line stops operating at 12:54AM, and you don't get into downtown until after 1AM.
    There is a 10:44PM, and a 11:24PM bus that would be a better option.
    Buying a daily pass ($5 plus $1 for the reusable TAP card) would allow someone to take the 460 to the Green Line Station, risk life and limb on the Green and Blue Lines, and transfer to the Red Line at 7th Street/Metro Center.
    $6 to get to Disneyland AND back! (Plus cab to Hollywood/Highland red line station).
    I would not recommend a tourist to take the green line to the blue line at night. The transfer point is not in a safe area at all, its right in the middle of the ghetto.

Take the 460 from Disneyland to 7th and Figueroa. Then transfer to either the 55 or 60 to Sunset and Figueroa. Then transfer to the 2 or 4 to West Hollywood.

The 55, 60, 2, and 4 are all 24/hour buses.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Just an "editorial comment" that came to me ...........

Have a look at this -

This is a zoom-in .. of the Red Car trolley system that ran for the first half of the 20th Century .... that originated in areas of Los Angeles .. and fan out to outlying communities .. such as .. the once rural Orange County:

There you see ... one line cutting right down the center of Orange County. This line ended by 1950. Parts of the right-of-way still exist. Look where it terminates on the north end.

Yes .. YIKES!

Back in 1950 ... "The Belt" was lovely. It was the "Irvine" of it's day. My mom tells me this all the time. Not after 1960 though!

It's too bad.

There are threads here on Micechat covering possibilities about mass transit for the future of Orange County.

Well .. imagine if the Red Car existed today. And you wanted to take the Red Car from Santa Ana .. to downtown LA. Would you transfer to another spur in Watt's? Today??

No one would do it.

And thus .. I think is one of the reasons mass transit is having a big problem trying to develop here in OC. If it goes through a bad neighborhood going into LA County ... the ridership could suffer.

I don't know what's going to happen in the future. LA County .. and Orange County are separate. Both operate independent of each other. And this has been a problem for decades. If OC builds any mass transit lines .. .they are going to begin and terminate only within OC. They won't touch LA County. And we can see why. Especially if it has to go near or even touch .. neighborhoods writled with gang activity.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Rock Star Minion

I've been to the Blue/Green. Midday, though. I once took public transportation from Moorpark to LAX, just too see how it would be.
    The risk increases with exposure.

For your route, though:

Last Bus #460 is 12:17AM. (Next one is at 4:00AM.)
    It eventually travels eastbound along 6th Street. Get off at Broadway and 6th at about 1:59AM. You'll be on the southwest corner. Go to the southeast corner of 6th and Broadway.
    Bus #4 travels northbound on Broadway. Bus is at Broadway and Venice (=16th street) at 2:06AM, so a few stops later it's at 6th. Get on the bus, gus. Arrives at Santa Monica and Fairfax at about 2:50AM.
    Total time: 2.5 hours.

Last #4 bus Sunday night is at 3:40AM. (Next bus is at 4:06AM on Monday, though.)

Not sure of the risks at 6th and Broadway.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

That one down the middle is being discussed as a possible new line. Not very close to Disneyland, though. Still would need transportation from Santa Ana to Anaheim.

First Plans Revealed For Rail From Union Station to Santa Ana - Transportation - Curbed LA

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Thanks Sediment ... That's one amazing article! Much appreciated.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

I ride the Blue/Red/Gold on regular occasion. The only "problems" I've ever seen have almost entirely been linked to belligerent sports fans pouring into or drunks pouring out of Staples Center, and that's a limited issue by default. Beyond that, mostly you get the Train Mongers selling heavily on the northern end of the Blue Line.

On foot/bus, it's dicier but a lot of that is found in nearly every city. There's always a "bad side of town", and in modern cities it tends to turn into "good block/bad block" (POODLE BLOCK! POODLE BLOCK! *ahem*). The biggest cause for concern is not knowing where they are and wandering down the wrong street.

As to blight in general, the Blue Line and Gold Line are both excellent examples of what happens when you take a mid-to-poor neighborhood and tear it in half with a ground level train. It's good for those going through and cheaper to build, but the loss of property value starts a death spiral that becomes visible from the train.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Thanks Sediment ... That's one amazing article! Much appreciated.
    no problemo.
    You should check out our lengthy discussion on mass transit, sometimes regarding Disneyland, in the travel section.
    Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort
    1700+ posts!

Does anyone remember a Disney movie called "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that was about how the public transportation system in Southern California was dismantled? Or was everyone distracted by the subplot with the hot redhead?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Does anyone remember a Disney movie called "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that was about how the public transportation system in Southern California was dismantled? Or was everyone distracted by the subplot with the hot redhead?
    I don't think that was a documentary.
    "I would have been here sooner, but I had to shake the weasels."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I don't think that was a documentary.
    "I would have been here sooner, but I had to shake the weasels."
    It wasn't, but the part about the deliberate impeding/dismantling of the public transit system, in favor of the promotion of freeways and automobiles in LA, was 100% true.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

And thus .. I think is one of the reasons mass transit is having a big problem trying to develop here in OC. If it goes through a bad neighborhood going into LA County ... the ridership could suffer.

I don't know what's going to happen in the future. LA County .. and Orange County are separate. Both operate independent of each other. And this has been a problem for decades. If OC builds any mass transit lines .. .they are going to begin and terminate only within OC. They won't touch LA County. And we can see why. Especially if it has to go near or even touch .. neighborhoods writled with gang activity.
    Well, to be fair, there's gang activity in the OC too...

I think it's going to depend on how the system is run. A lot of people commute between LA and OC, and linking the two is a key point, IMHO. Going through a bad neighborhood isn't a dealbreaker for many if the ride is safe. I am from NYC originally and most trains there go through alternating "good" and "bad" neighborhoods - and they are heavily traveled. The problems that happen on the trains (and I was mugged once) are largely either afterschool, or have to dol with mentally unstable people, rather than gangs.

Back to LA and OC mass transit, though - I am sure that if they put a heavy security presence on the route, it would help people feel (and be) safe. They do that on Amtrak already, and at bus stations, etc. At the Blue Line/Green Line transfer point they very often have cops on the platforms, and they also have roaming cops that get on and off the trains. If they have cops on every train and platform - which is the norm in many places, like Hong Kong - they can make it safe.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It wasn't, but the part about the deliberate impeding/dismantling of the public transit system, in favor of the promotion of freeways and automobiles in LA, was 100% true.
    I'd like to see the source for that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast