Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Hollywood to Disneyland via LAX

I'm continually sad that LA demolished the Red Car system. One of the guys at work used to take it and he says it was phenomenal. I think, too, that a significant mass of people moving would make it ok to change even in a neighborhood like Watts. At least during the populated times.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'd like to see the source for that.
    There's plenty of stuff out there on the General Motors Streetcar Conspiracy, if you choose to Google it. For Los Angeles you might want to look for all the existing and confirmed information on the purchase of the Los Angeles Railway (the Yellow Cars) by National City Line, as well as the role of GM, Firestone and other companies in buying, monopolizing and scrapping electric rail lines across the country.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-31-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I'm continually sad that LA demolished the Red Car system. One of the guys at work used to take it and he says it was phenomenal. I think, too, that a significant mass of people moving would make it ok to change even in a neighborhood like Watts. At least during the populated times.
    Yeah, there's safety in numbers. I've never felt all that unsafe changing at the Blue/Green Line station during the day because there are always tons of people.

On the other hand I was mugged on a crowded subway in NYC, so this has its limits.

True. That's unfortunate that you got mugged.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    True. That's unfortunate that you got mugged.
    Yeah. I honestly don't look at it as a reason to avoid transit, though, and that's the important part. I figure you can get robbed or mugged in a parking lot, too, and that has certainly happened to a lot of people.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I know what station you speak of.

For anyone who wants to try it (visiting Uni, that is) ..... Yes ... the driving entrance is right there near the station ... but it's a long haul up that hill .. till you're really at the "main gate" to the park.

You have to look into shuttles that pick people up from the parking lot of the Red Line station .. to deliver you to the top of the hill.

If you are keen to walk that hill .. hope you are really fit, because you're going to need to be. LOL
    Just as a note, regarding public transit to Universal...

Having gone both in vehicle and public transit, it's probably actually *more* convenient to use the public option if you have the desire. It's definitely less walking than the far lots they use when Uni gets full.

The Red Line station lets you out at the base of the hill, and there are trams that run up and down the hill for the entirety of the park operating day and fairly late into the night/morning. The lower tram stop is across the street from the Red Line exit, the upper lets you out about 1/3 of the way along CityWalk.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yeah. I honestly don't look at it as a reason to avoid transit, though, and that's the important part. I figure you can get robbed or mugged in a parking lot, too, and that has certainly happened to a lot of people.
    Very true. I hope I would feel the same. Being out in public is a risk, but so is being home, given the possibility of home-invasion robberies. You can only be afraid of so much before you say the heck with it, I'm going to do what I'm going to do.

I wonder how our friend made out with his trip...?

I was following his threads for a number of weeks. Just wondering if he got his two days in the park (I know he was going to stay closer to the park, and ditch his friend in Hollywood).

• Rock Star Minion

Bumping for a trip report request!

But, mainly the jouney, not so much the destination.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234