Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hollywood to Disneyland via LAX

Hello!
    So the big day is this Sunday (eek!) when my friend and I are hitting DCA!

We are staying in West Hollywoood (which I tried to convince my friend is a terribly idea but failed).

I have figured the best way for us to get to the resort from west Hollywood would be to take a taxi to LAX (about 25 mins) then catch one of the Disney shuttles from there (which apparently run on the hour???)

There will be four of us so the taxi fare should be ok between us.

My question is: what is the most cost effective shuttle to get from lax to Disneyland? And do the shuttles run on the hour?

Also what is the likelihood of getting a shuttle back to lax after DCA closes at 10????

Gah so excited!!!
    Last edited by Disney1997; 01-28-2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Left out informatiob

• Artistic integrity

Re: Hollywood to Disneyland via LAX

There was an entire topic on LAX to Disneyland transportation options:

best way to get from LAX to Disneyland

If you go directly to my post on that page ... I outline the Gray Line Coach Bus service, which is the Disneyland Hotel's official public service to LAX.

They do run once an hour. The last time I used this (2012) it cost me 22-23 dollars - One way - Per Person. I have no idea what the cost is now. Probably the same. There is no round about time you can go by ... But they try to maintain the "LAX-DL" Loop to come around once every 60 minutes. If you just miss one ... it will be about an hour till the next one comes. If you call the Gray Line offices, or Disneyland Hotel Concierge ... they probably can give more accurate time frame information. Naturally, you'd want to call them anyway ... to plan this out. Something wrong when I try to download the PDF brochure. Hopefully that's only a problem on my end.

And like I mention in that topic ... you use the big "coach" white bus.

DO NOT ... I repeat .. DO NOT ... get suckered in to seeing the words "Disneyland Express" on the smaller shuttles ... they are not this particular service. I have no knowledge how those other businesses operate .. and what they charge. If you use one - it's at your own risk.

Also what is the likelihood of getting a shuttle back to lax after DCA closes at 10????

"The Disneyland Resort Express, convenient and reliable, our full size restroom equipped coaches offer luxury and comfort at a great price! Airport shuttle service operates hourly 7 days a week 6:00AM to 9:30PM (LAX) and 6:00AM to 8:00PM (SNA)."

If you use this ... Just an observation: It's going to cost you a cab to go in the opposite direction to LAX .. to then drop 23 for the Disneyland Express to get there. Then you got to repeat the whole DL Express/Cab cost to get back to West Hollywood. How much are saving by traveling in the opposite direction ... then turn around to go the right way ... To just taking a cab from West Hollywood to Anaheim?

No doubt, I see you are desperately trying to do this trip on a tight budget, in a sprawl that's too big, with crappy mass transit alternatives, with a tight time frame. It's such a "car or forget it" world in SoCal!

Whatever method you end up doing ... I wish you the best time at the DLR.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-28-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

I've done so many edits in the last 20 minutes ... I hope you've read my whole post again .. from top to bottom.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

LAX is a nightmare, a taxi will be expensive even with all 4 of you. Is there any possibility to rent a car? That would be your best option.
    Jeff Wayne

Thanks for your kind advice! I have decided to bite the bullet and go solo to disney on the first day we arrive (I have a booked a hotel that is apparently across the street-castle inn ad suites).
    My friend is meeting two of her American friends in Hollywood on the Saturday so she will be fine then the three of them wil meet me at Disney on the Saturday. I am probably the most selfish person in the world for doing this- but being from Australia I haven't been to the resort since 2005
    And I want to take advantage of
    Being there rather than
    Trying to squeeze in one day under pressure. I hope I'm not selfish

I mean the Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1997 View Post
    I have a booked a hotel that is apparently across the street-castle inn ad suites
    I think you've made the right decision...

I've been following your threads for the past month, and it is clear that you want to visit Disneyland... and your friend, not so much.

I'm not going to judge selfishness, but I would think that if you're coming all the way from Australia, and you REALLY want to visit the park, then you should do it! The alternative will be, that you flew all the way from Australia, didn't visit the park (or didn't get to see it the way you hoped to), and resented the rest of the trip... not fun.

As many people (including me) have posted in the past, getting from West Hollywood to Anaheim, in morning rush hour, is going to be a nightmare. It'd be noon before you finally got through the front gate of the park.

Making the decision to go to Anaheim on your own is the best solution. And yes, the Castle Inn is right across the street from the Disneyland Resort. You can walk to the park, and be in the magic, in about 10 minutes.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 01-28-2014 at 05:58 AM.

•   

Take the red line from WeHo to Union Station then take either a metro link or Amtrak, to the Anaheim station. There you can get a shuttle to Disneyland or a taxi which would cost $10. All in probably will take you 1h to get to Anaheim and an hour to get back. Have taken this route many times.

Thanks for your kind advice! I have decided to bite the bullet and go solo to disney on the first day we arrive (I have a booked a hotel that is apparently across the street-castle inn ad suites).
    My friend is meeting two of her American friends in Hollywood on the Saturday so she will be fine then the three of them wil meet me at Disney on the Saturday. I am probably the most selfish person in the world for doing this- but being from Australia I haven't been to the resort since 2005
    And I want to take advantage of
    Being there rather than
    Trying to squeeze in one day under pressure. I hope I'm not selfish
    Really, there is nothing wrong with being selfish, at least in certain ways. As long as your friend understands and you two are good, then what's the big deal?

Not that it's relevant at this point, but I've found Prime Time shuttle to offer good rates. I've never used their Disneyland shuttle, but they advertise $15 from your hotel or from LAX to Disneyland.

You definitely made the right choice. And your friend will likely understand once they get to Disneyland. Getting to the gate when the park opens is key for DCA - get that Radiator Springs Racers fastpass before they are gone and then head over to Toy Story Midway Mania - no fastpass for that ride and the line is always long. For pretty much every other popular ride in DCA - there is fastpass. And keep in mind you can hold onto RSR fastpass and still get other fast passes simultaneously.

Take the bus man. Its gonna take probably 2 hours, but its less than $5. I would not be surprised if it was quicker than going to LAX then a shuttle down.

• Rock Star Minion

Can't the "American friends" drive from WeHo (West Hollywood) to DL with your friend on Sunday?

I have already provided you with the links to the AMTRAK and Red Line.
    If I have not (I do it a lot)
    Red Line: http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/...images/802.pdf
    AMTRAK:
    http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/1015/382...ule-011314.pdf

Getting there:
    Taxi to Hollywood/Highland station before 6:48AM. take train to Union Station.
    Red Line arrives at 7:10AM.
    Board #566 train before 7:25AM.
    Arrive in Anaheim at 8:03AM.
    Take shuttle or taxi to Disneyland.

Getting back:
    Take last train (#595) from Anaheim at 11:09PM.
    Arrives at Union Station at 11:55PM.
    Get on Red Line train. 12:02AM. This is the last train on Sunday evening/Monday morning. If you miss it, you'll have to take a cab.
    Get off at Hollywood/Highland at 12:33AM.

So about an hour and a half each way, including time between stops.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Artistic integrity

Good. You won't regret your decision. I think it's the best.

The LA Basin is just way too big to be trying all the other methods, mentioned. They all are going to take up so much time .. just eating away at your time, that can be spent at the park.

Does the hotel/motel you are staying at have a shuttle that picks people up at LAX?

If not ... remember this - That "Disneyland Express" coach line ...... there is absolutely no obligation to stay at the DLH in order to use it. You just have to have the cash ready to board. That's all. So ... if need be .. You can use that coach bus to get there. They do stop at a few other hotel locations in the general "DLR" area of Anaheim. If you got off at the front door of the DLH (where that bus stops off at first) .. and depending on if your luggage has wheels ..... you could walk the length of Downtown Disney/Esplanade to the other side .. I take it your hotel is on Harbor Blvd. (?) .. Or .. walk down Katella .. which is probably easier .. instead of the mad crowds walking through DtD/Esplanade.
    MY SIGNATURE:

•   
    • Minion

One bad thing about the Disneyland Express: they have jacked their prices way, WAY up. It is now $48 round trip and, I think, $32 one way. I took it last Friday (and yes, it was the large, legit coach) and had a very nasty surprise there.

• Artistic integrity

What was the nasty surprise?

My memory I think is bad. Maybe it was 32 dollars when I used it in 2012. Maybe it was 23. Well ... 10 dollars more than 23 .. That's still a relatively low price to travel somewhere an hour away .. .vs. so many other methods we've covered ... that get far pricier than the Disneyland Express.

And 48 dollars round trip .. well that's 24 each way. About the price I thought it was. So ... depending on what your "surprise" was .. it's my preferred method to get to Anaheim. I absolutely hate taxis with a passion - They all drive like crazy lunatics! If I want "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" .. I want it in Disneyland. Not in reality. LOL Other (somewhat dodgy) shuttle services .. I don't care for their driving skills either. (I've done a couple in my life). And if they take just one detour between me and Anaheim .. that's one detour too many!

I've used the Disneyland Express some 5 times now ... over a 8 year period. Drops me off literally at the front door to the Disneyalnd Hotel. Air Conditioned busses. Comfy ... they are never full .. because of their size. No other method will do for me .. unless it's a limo.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast