Question Disneyland with kids

Hey everyone! New to MiceChat. Been lurking and reading for a week or so, just decided to register. I've never been to DL, have been to WDW once, in '93 when I was 9. My sister and I are planning a trip to DL with our families in February 2015. There will be 4 adults and 5 kids, aged (at the time) 1, 3, 12, 13 & 17. Any tips/advice on DL with a wide age range of kids?

Re: Disneyland with kids

Have you decide on where you'll stay?

I have gone with a large group and stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites. If you look on their website, you'll see floor plans of their different options. We have stayed in a C-1 and C-2. There was plenty of room, it's clean and safe. It's right across the from the parks. Not as fancy as other options, but they usually have the lowest rates, provided you book early.

They should have their rates/availability for Feb 2015 in a couple of months. Right now you can only see and book through December 2014.

Check out the past schedules for each park. There are several attractions and shows that are CLOSED in parts of the month. Fantasmic! comes to mind along with the rides for holiday overlays being removed. Fireworks may only be on weekend nights.

Events frequently in Feb
    Superbowl maybe first weekend.
    DapperDays winter event (Check their website for drastically reduced rates for DLR hotels)
    Valentine's weekend
    Presidents day weekend
    Cheer Camp Competition

Follow threads this year in February to get a feel for what's routinely open and closed. You'll might also get a feel for when the crowds swing up and down.

It's a little over a year away but it will be here before you know it!!!

Geemo

Re: Disneyland with kids

Wide range of ages means a tough crowd to satisfy. Younger ones will enjoy rides that the older ones will not. Let the 12, 13 & 17 year old go off and do their own thing while you and the younger ones do something a bit more age appropriate.

And yes, we've let our 12 & 14 years old girls have free run of the park and even park hop without us (though we are still in the parks at the same time). I feel completely safe and they feel completely comfortable charting their own course while there.