Ideas to make a trip extra special

I just decided to surprise my daughter and take her to Disneyland next week. She turns 16 in 2 weeks, and is having brain surgery the week after. I want to make sure this is an extra special trip! Her neurosurgeon has nixed most of the rides, but I think we will still have a great time. Any ideas on things I could do to help make the trip amazing for her?

• Disneynerd Merprincess

Re: Ideas to make a trip extra special

Take her to eat at Blue Bayou on the water! A meet-and-greet with her favourite character, if she's into that sort of thing! You might also consider buying her something special while at the parks -- a nice, sweet little necklace or something that she can wear that will remind her, post-surgery, of the fun she had on her trip. Take her out on the Mark Twain (if it's running).

Also, you might see if you can get a hold of somebody in City Hall or somebody within Guest Relations and see if they have any ideas. I know that a lot of people who get engaged in the parks are able to have their hotel room set up with flowers and teddy bears, little chocolates, cute stuff like that. They might be able to assist you in finding out those kinds of non-heavily advertised special things they can do by request.

For an almost-sixteen year old girl, I bet the most fun thing you can do also is giving her some spending money and letting her have fun and "be a kid" by going on a little shopping spree. A nice dinner or lunch, couple churros, catch World of Color for sure! Buy her a pair of the Minnie ears and let her take instagram selfies and brag to all of her friends back home! Storybook Land is one of the BEST rides I think she'd be able to do, do it at night! Seeing the little glittery towns of Aladdin etc glowing in the dark is so beautiful. Same with Pixie Hollow!

You might also consider picking up a "birthday button" at City Hall or your Disneyland Resort. That way all of the CMs and characters will tell her "Happy Birthday!" and go out of there way to give you guys a special time! AFAIK they don't do date checks, so I think you'll be OK

You can also see a movie together (her choice!) at Downtown Disney. When you're in Disney California Adventure, go to the Animation building and have them draw a custom sketch for her! It's an amazing souvenir. And of course, like any almost 16 year old girl... she's gotta try the in the parks Starbucks, right?

Full disclosure: I'm not 16! But I'm a 23 year old girl, and I remember my not-so-long-ago Disneyland trips with my best friends. If my family were taking me as a present, and I could not ride a lot of the 'fun' rides, these are the things that I would have loved to do. Little trinkets and memories to look back on, just appreciating and soaking in the Disney atmosphere. Less thrill, more chill.
    BK15:
    Disney BFF and Partner-In-Crime!

Walt Disney World: 1995, August 2009
    Disneyland: New Years 08/09, January 2010, September 2010, New Years 2011

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014
    ... with the Kristoff to my Anna!

Queen Elsa Is My Homegirl

• formerly very helpful

Try a ride in the Lily Belle train car. You have to get to the Main Street Station at opening and set up a reservation with a conductor. You can't always get in, but it's worth a try.

easier to do is ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain riverboat.

I am 16 and I love going to Disneyland. But one thing that has made it all the more special is getting pictures taken and looking back on them after the trip. I suggest you get a Disney Photopass so you can have cast members take all the pictures you guys want. In the end, you can look at them on the computer and even customize them with borders and stuff.

Also, a show we really enjoy is the Aladdin Musical at the Hyperion Theater in Hollywood Land. It's really comical and I'm sure she will enjoy it, as most everyone does.

But whatever you guys choose to do, I hope you have fun and that it's a really awesome trip

I think you are a totally sweet, awesome Mom for doing this for your daughter. You've gotten some great ideas already, and I have none since I've never been there, but if there are fireworks, watch them together.

Take her out to dinner, maybe see a nighttime show, chat with some cast members (they're super nice!) and meet some characters (if she's into it!)
    I'll rise like the break of dawn.