Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• i believe in faeries.

Not eating at Blue Bayou?

Hi there. I have a trip planned this upcoming May, and we're planning to go to the Blue Bayou for lunch, and possibly the Mother's Day Brunch at the Disneyland Hotel... the problem is, my son is a SUPER picky eater. Like, super super. I will probably have to bring him familiar foods from home so he'll eat (he's 3 and gets super wigged out if things are even cut wrong, lol). My question is, if we go to these places, would I be able to order meals for myself, my husband, mom and daughter... and my son can share with us (if he decides to even do so)? it's not a huge cost, but I'd really rather not spend $$ on a meal I know he won't even touch.

Re: Not eating at Blue Bayou?

I now exactly how you feel. My son is Autistic and is the same way. Thank God he likes chicken nuggets and pizza because that's all he eats at the parks!!
    Back to your question......we did eat at the BB with our son and he simply shared with his sisters plate. (although he really didn't eat anything, we gave him some of his raviolis in a can after we left, he loves those things too!)
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

• Former Churro Jockey

No one will care about your son not eating there, but you should tell the server at the Blue Bayou and see if there is anything they think they might be able to make for him. Disney is really good about catering to almost any possible special dietary request.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

As a father, I was really happy that Blue Bayou offers a monte christo (sp?) sandwich. I figure that most kids (maybe not the super, super picky ones) will like a deep fried ham and cheese sandwich served with jam. No veggies... check! Deep fried... check! Basic ingredients... check! Melted cheese... check! Doused with sugar and served with (optional) jam... Check!
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

I really can't see any reasonable restaurant anywhere complaining about a 3 year old not ordering a meal, if all the adults and older children are.

I don't have a kid, but I am super picky eater, and have been since a kid, so I can only imagine how much of a pain it was for my parents to go out to eat with us when there was nothing on a menu I would eat. I still have to check a menu ahead of time before deciding to eat at a restaurant as I run into times where there will be nothing on the menu I'll eat...

• Singing Drinker

I've gone to DL to join groups on several occasions where a trip to Bayou has been tossed into the mix at the last second and I've wound up a non-ordering participant at the table. They don't have issues with that.

As to splitting the dish, I don't believe BB has ever included a split fee, could be wrong with that. I know I've been in the presence of a couple who opted to share and were given a plate on asking. It's not like you're adding someone in on an "all you can eat" bill anyway.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Elk Grove Chris

There is a charge if it is a split plate, not a shared plate. Split plate gets each person salad or gumbo-for like $12! Like the others have said, I cannot imagine anyone having issues with not ordering for a 3-year old.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

I was excited to try to the Monte Cristo, but was disgusted by it after the first few bites. Kids might like it, though.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I was excited to try to the Monte Cristo, but was disgusted by it after the first few bites. Kids might like it, though.
    Your not alone. After hearing so much about the MC I finally got to try it and ended up throwing out about 2/3's of it. Heavy, fatty, congealed cheese lump of muck. Just plain nasty.
    My wifes gumbo was good though.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Your not alone. After hearing so much about the MC I finally got to try it and ended up throwing out about 2/3's of it. Heavy, fatty, congealed cheese lump of muck. Just plain nasty.
    My wifes gumbo was good though.
    They're definitely not for everybody - I was lucky enough to get to try a bite of one of my friends' sandwiches rather than spend the money on one of my own, realized they're 100% not for me.

Enough people swear by them that I've come to the conclusion that it's either a matter of personal taste, or they're all aliens come to this planet to destroy us all by encouraging fatty, sugary deep fried versions of everything. My personal faith in the latter is inversely linked to how long it's been since the last county fair.
    Last edited by BogLurch; 01-30-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    They're definitely not for everybody - I was lucky enough to get to try a bite of one of my friends' sandwiches rather than spend the money on one of my own, realized they're 100% not for me.

Enough people swear by them that I've come to the conclusion that it's either a matter of personal taste, or they're all aliens come to this planet to destroy us all by encouraging fatty, sugary deep fried versions of everything. My personal faith in the latter is inversely linked to how long it's been since the last county fair.
    I heard both good and bad things about the "sandwich" and....wow! I wish I got something else. My boyfriend and I both ordered our own and we immediately regretted it. Eh, you learn!

• Greetings, Program!

The Monte Cristos are THE reason I go to the BB at least once a year.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    The Monte Cristos are THE reason I go to the BB at least once a year.
    I remember you mentioning on a thread I started about eating at The Blue Bayou a few months ago and you said to go and enjoy the experience, I believe. We did, but the sandwich was too much for us (and we are BIG eaters to begin with). Did they change the recipe and make it thicker or has it always been like that? Maybe if I didn't eat so much bread and salad and didn't have the mint julep, I wouldn't have been so full.

Sorry, to get back to the original question, I don't think the wait staff will care if your kid isn't eating anything. As long as they have the rest of the family as paying customers, they'll be happy.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I remember you mentioning on a thread I started about eating at The Blue Bayou a few months ago and you said to go and enjoy the experience, I believe. We did, but the sandwich was too much for us (and we are BIG eaters to begin with). Did they change the recipe and make it thicker or has it always been like that? Maybe if I didn't eat so much bread and salad and didn't have the mint julep, I wouldn't have been so full.
    The MC is definitely a decadent, heavy dish. I don't know for certain if they changed the recipe but I suppose it's possible they're using thicker bread.

My wife and I try not to load up on too much gumbo before the main course. We try.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast