Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Autopia, does it still do it for ya?

I still enjoy the ride. I'm with those who'd LOVE to see the scenery and perhaps the ride itself updated, but it's still a fun ride. Not everything has to be a budget busting E-ticket.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Many responsible dads and moms probably feel the same about Autopia as you do. Fortunately, I did not have a responsible dad. He let me drive our family car up and down and all around empty parking lots even when I was a shockingly young little fella. Autopia couldn't compare. Never cared for it.

I say tear it out and put in an attraction with a less-specific target audience.
    HEY!!! Maybe that is why I don't remember as a 60's child riding or even turning the autopia wheel at Disneyland My dad would let us take turns on Laferney Road at the wheel as we headed home from whatever outing. The beauty of those 60's desert dirt bumpy roads is that they had shoulders that acted as guards so we could never really just steer off the road. As an E ticket Kid, I used them all on the rides that brought to life all that I had seen on Mutual of Omaha and National Geographic 60's TV. Plus the Wonderful World of Disney. Never did Tomorrowland E's.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    First I ask, how could you possible reach the pedals? But secondly I say, the target audience isn't as small you as you think... it's not JUST for the little ones, it also includes the parents and family members that get to enjoy it with them, I'd say that makes the target audience fairly large.
    Good God, man--you must not do very well at brain-teasers. Naturally, my dad worked the pedals and I sat on his lap and steered, at least until I was tall enough to reach the pedals--then it was all me, my friend.

I didn't say how small I thought the target audience was, I was commenting on the breadth of its appeal, not the actual numbers, small or large. As your first post illustrates, you yourself had no interest in riding Autopia until you brought your child--it was his interest in Autopia that got you on the attraction, not your own interest, as an adult.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Tear er out.

Yes, it is still a must ride for my family and I! You must remember, just because you may have "grown up" and no longer enjoy Autopia, there are many children who dream of the future when they will be able to drive a real car!!! (And parents who love to watch their little ones have a blast while they "drive" )
    just my .02
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Considering anyone over 16 can go experience the real thrill of the actual highway in an actual car, freeways just arent the novelty now as they were probably back in the 50's
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I'd love to ride the ride. However, it's very hard for me to get in, and almost impossible for me, to get out of those cars. I do wish they would update them to something a little easier for me to navigate.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• formerly very helpful

The way I look at it, I ride Autopia for an hour to get to DIsneyland, and then for another hour to get home, so the ride at Disneyland doesn't do it for me. To be fair, though, my daughters like it, so I guess I have to think of them. My youngest is just tall enough that she can work the pedals by herself.

It is very dated and it takes up a lot of space. It is the kind of ride you can find in pretty much any amusement park, nothing even remotely special about it. It seems like an easy and obvious target to free up space.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

It would be fun if you could drive a different kind of car through the attraction. Of course that would cost a lot of money, to update the cars, or perhaps an assortment of cars.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

I'll be honest that this doesn't do much for me anymore, as there's a good portion of my family that when we go on it, its kind of difficult. The one of us that actually enjoys it most is my mother, though she attributes it to her smaller size, so for her the car feels a lot more comfortable, and she can enjoy that nice, slow drive through the track, and while it took me a few times of going on autopia with her and my little brother to understand that a bit more, it's just not supposed to be that exciting ride for the adults, but rather exciting for the little ones and relaxing for the older folks. I mean the problem is, they could really modernize the track and the cars to make sure that it is more relaxing or more responsive. The top speed is pretty slow and understandably so to minimize the risk of what could happen in a "crash". They *could* bump up the speed, though they may end up changing it so there's a computer override to slow down the car if it comes "too close" to another car. I think it'd be wonderful if they decided to make it all electric cars, and allow a bit more speed and a bit more freedom (imagine what could happen if you could "switch" the track and explore different areas of the Autopia track.

Overall... I think it's nice they have something that's nice and slow for all ages to enjoy. It's not exactly my favorite by any measure, but I've figured more or less why it's there, though debatably it could make better use of the space and improve on the cars, make them a bit more futuristic with design or how they work.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by FowlersINN View Post

I think the tearing out atuopia and half of the submarine ride to create the Star was land with a E ticket speeder bike ride would be amazing. The autopia track takes up so much so awesome real estate in disneyland, if you look at a map autopia is almost bigger then some of the existing lands. That area is already covered with trees and would be perfect to turn into Endor. If they make it anything like cars land I think people would embrace and love it as well.

thoughts?
    There's 2 different conversations going on here .. sort of rolled into one.

One is whether the Autopia is relevant to some or not.
    And the second are these continuing "Star Wars" rumors that as far as I'm concerned .. add up to one big bag of hot air.

As far as what I think of the Autopia on it's own - It was never "futuristic" ... even the day it opened. Only on paper ... before the first Freeway cut through Orange Co. opened. Which was 1954. By the time DL did open ... the Santa Ana Freeway, along with 3 other LA County freeways opened a few years prior to Walt's mini freeway ride .. a product of "Todayland 1955".

But in relation to the few rumors we heard of Star Wars stuff .... Autopia is better off left alone. Along with the subs.

Why is a simple stroll through the same forested area .. except with Ewoks hanging around supposed to be so exciting? By tearing out an entire ride system that enables guests on a 17 minute journey under water? I don't get it.

If people think through the little Star Wars ideas we've heard ... that entail removing 2 rides .. not to mention dealing with the monorail track for what? A walk through a small village of Ewok hutts and perhaps an AT Walker just as sitting still as a prop, with Ewoks and Storm Troopers standing around? It doesn't add up to more excitement. More like - less.

And about this speeder bike idea: One mega ride that takes over Innoventions, Peoplemover track, Autopia, and Submarine Voyage ...... so therefore ... the Autopia and subs are to go ... just so the Speeder Bike has support beams running through those former attraction areas .. for a ride that's physically suppose to begin and terminate in the Innoventions location.

One Star Wars speeder bike ride .. and a walk-through Ewok village do not equal the removal of one big underwater ride, and the venerable Autopia ride.

If Disney wants to properly cash in, on their Star Wars acquisition for the DLR ... they need a much bigger piece of "canvas" to work with.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• I'm not really here

If they feel they must keep it, they need to update it. More modern vehicles (Tomorrowland for Pete's sake). They sound like lawnmowers. Give it a theme of some sort other than "mini road through trees and a mud-puddle."

If they don't want to update it, then they need to remove it as it drags the rest of the land down (not that the rest of the land as any sort of a cohesive "Tomorrow" feel.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Not the Hawkguy

I'd be ok if they updated the ride tech (like gas to electric) and shrunk the footprint to free up some land. I'm not sure if I'm ok with completely removing the ride, though.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Good God, man--you must not do very well at brain-teasers. Naturally, my dad worked the pedals and I sat on his lap and steered, at least until I was tall enough to reach the pedals--then it was all me, my friend.

I didn't say how small I thought the target audience was, I was commenting on the breadth of its appeal, not the actual numbers, small or large. As your first post illustrates, you yourself had no interest in riding Autopia until you brought your child--it was his interest in Autopia that got you on the attraction, not your own interest, as an adult.
    First of all, I still wonder how you reach the pedals

and secondly, his interest IS my interest. That's my point... while his desire attracted us back to the ride, the ride is important to me and brings me joy, because it brings him joy.

I think someone pointed out that much of the real estate that it takes up overlaps with the sub building...I could be wrong, if so, that does mean that part of the area does double duty, which is nice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast