Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Autopia, does it still do it for ya?

Personally I can no longer experience Autopia and I miss the enjoyment of the ride. My bad knees make it painful to get in and impossible to get out of the cars. However my 6'4" son still takes at least one spin on Autopia every visit to Disneyland. I would hate to see an end to it when he still enjoys it along with all those people in the long lines for it. But if it has to go I would like a new and improved version of it across the esplanade in Cars Land if only there was room for it. How fun it would be to drive in a replica of a Cars vehicle.

As for Tomorrow Land - I find it to be a completely outdated, infeasible idea in today's world. Back in the 50's technology wasn't making the leaps and bounds it's making today. The Disney Company would be hard pressed financially trying to keep a step ahead, let alone 5 steps ahead, of tomorrow's technology and today's people lining up to buy the next new innovation the minute it hits the shelves. When I think of Tomorrow Land I think of a land decades into the future and today's Tomorrow Land just doesn't have enough of it. I'm ready for a land that will take me outworld whether it be some Star Wars world, Avatar world or The Grid. However, I will always miss the submarines and Autopia.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    First of all, I still wonder how you reach the pedals

and secondly, his interest IS my interest. That's my point... while his desire attracted us back to the ride, the ride is important to me and brings me joy, because it brings him joy.

I think someone pointed out that much of the real estate that it takes up overlaps with the sub building...I could be wrong, if so, that does mean that part of the area does double duty, which is nice.
    The problem is the ride that's pulling double duty in that land, the Subs, is extremely high cost and has low RPH numbers. That's also why the Subs are a constant target for removal.

IMO once you drive a real car this ride loses its luster...What makes it fun and enjoyable now is that my son who is 4 loves it. I ride with him, other wise if I didnt have kids I wouldnt even think of going on it. Id be all for a Star Wars land
    Kungaloosh!

We can only hope Disney will refurbish this ride into a new ride based on the Planes movie or Star Wars pod race!!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    We can only hope Disney will refurbish this ride into a new ride based on the Planes movie or Star Wars pod race!!
    No. Just no.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Autopia is best late at night.

And there's still the Motorboat Cruise area free.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Autopia is best late at night.

And there's still the Motorboat Cruise area free.
    I agree, I love the empty roadways at night with very few other drivers around. I honestly think that WDI will save the motorboat cruise area for Fantasyland since it is awful close to tea party, small world and Storybookland, though historically the Matterhorn and the Autopia have been part of both lands. The attraction should stay but the cars need to be upgraded to electric or somehing else. I also seem to recall Bob Gurr commenting somewhere that the current Autopia is outdated and needs to be update and also keeping in mind that he designed the first iteration of the attraction in '54 and '55
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

I LOVE THIS RIDE!!!!!!!!!! It takes me back to my childhood! I was actually just watching a home video my dad took of our family in Disneyland in 1990 and my dad and I were in the same car and I was driving all over the place and you can hear my dad going "OW, OOOH OUCH, Brendon you are a crazt driver". So this ride is part of my childhood, I would hate to see it relpaced.

Keep the Autopia but upgrade it to electric. Once it's electric you can put in tunnels, etc. When I was little I spent more time looking around than driving. Watching the other cars, peoplemover and monorail overhead, etc. I'm 52 and still love it. Riding with a child is even more fun.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Minion

My first attraction as a CM. Will always hold a special place in my heart. Though I will say it looks nothing like the classic Autopia I worked, what with that huge queuing area it has. And the lines are still there.

• Sock Puppet

I feel like Autopia is a classic. I normally go on it every couple of trips. I feel like it's especially great for kids.

And where else are you gonna get that amazing exhaust smell after a long day of walking around the park?!

• Not here to help

I think it would be tragic if they get ridd of this ride. I works very well in Hong Kong Disneyland, having it downsized and electrical.
    Autopia could be rebuilt without Disney spending a fortune and still getting a bit more space in Tomorrowland. If needed, tunnels and bridges would not only look cool but would also be practical.

The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
    I feel like Autopia is a classic. I normally go on it every couple of trips. I feel like it's especially great for kids.

And where else are you gonna get that amazing exhaust smell after a long day of walking around the park?!

Every time I ride Autopia I wonder why CalOsha lets Disney get away with this. I start getting a headache just waiting in traffic to get out of the car at the end. How much poison must the CM's get standing there for hours?
    I'm surprised Disney never installed any fans to pull the exhaust down and out of the area.

• Minion

If they made the Autopia look like the one in Hong Kong Disneyland, I would be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    If they made the Autopia look like the one in Hong Kong Disneyland, I would be satisfied.
    I would be too and that's the direction I'm hoping that WDI will lean towards as their solution for Tomorrowland. As for the bridges and tunnels, not only are they practical for shrinking the footprint of the ride itself, it also adds visual interest to the whole experience itself in my opinion. Looking at the video above, does anyone know whether the cars carry batteries or are they inductively charged like TOT or Great Movie Ride.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast