Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Autopia, does it still do it for ya?

The last time I rode Autopia was in 2008 because my dad wanted to do it. I remember sitting there thinking to myself, I should have just waited and driven the real car when we left the parking garage.

For me personally the Autopia is a waste of space and a waste of time. It smells horrible, it's noisy, the wait time isn't worth it, and it's another thing that is only fun for little kids and teenagers who don't have their license yet. If it's ever ripped out and replaced with something else I don't think I'll be upset at all. The last three times I've visited I've walked right past it without even thinking about riding.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Done with MC.

We didn't ride it either the last time we were there but it was busy.
    After the earlier suggestion to ride it at night, I'd like to do that before it's leveled.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I say either make it smaller or remove it. In a park struggling with space, sacrifices must be made... Autopia is a ride I am willing to sacrifice. If anything I would remove the subs and Autopia. Build and expand, create new rides, and then intertwine a new updated Autopia into that. Would be cool if the cars could go into show buildings and really intertwine into the new stuff.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

You have to consider not just what it is, but also compare that to what could go there instead, which is a lot. It's as big as the entire rest of Tomorrowland, and has enough space that you could take it out and then do both a big Fantasyland expansion of at least 2 rides, plus add one new big (or two smaller) TL attractions in its place. You could probably at least triple the capacity, if not more, of that area of the park by taking out Autopia.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Every time I ride Autopia I wonder why CalOsha lets Disney get away with this. I start getting a headache just waiting in traffic to get out of the car at the end. How much poison must the CM's get standing there for hours?
    I doubt its any worse emissions wise then other jobs that work in close proximity to running engines of various sorts. I mean if the state said to close it just because of emissions concerns, Disney would probably have pretty good foot to stand on, since many jobs work in close proximity to vehicles and emissions from them.

I worked for not much more then what Disneyland pays those cast members working at airports and around jet exhaust all day, and I am sure the exhaust from planes isn't grand to breathe in all day either.

I'm torn on this one. Maybe its not as exciting as when I was younger, but the thrill of driving by myself for the first time is still one of my favorite Disneyland memories. Its the only place in the park where you can truly be on your own, if you lose the cars around you. Just you and the open road. No other attraction can give you that. And I actually enjoy the smell, surely I can't be the only one?!

But is it worth more than the value of all that real estate? I don't know, but if it does go away, it better be for something good, and not for Star Wars.

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I say either make it smaller or remove it. In a park struggling with space, sacrifices must be made... Autopia is a ride I am willing to sacrifice. If anything I would remove the subs and Autopia. Build and expand, create new rides, and then intertwine a new updated Autopia into that. Would be cool if the cars could go into show buildings and really intertwine into the new stuff.
    I agree completely

• Hooterville, USA

It's one of the few rides that allow parents to let their child take the reins.

Why deny that?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The doctor is in

I watched a video of Autopia on YouTube last night. I forgot how much space this ride takes up. It's so wasted.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I have a picture that I took of my Son as he was driving and he is just so happy to be driving a "real" car. Yes it takes up space, yes it is nosiy and probably terrible for the environment, but by golly if that picture does't make me forget all the bad.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    ...and secondly, his interest IS my interest. That's my point... while his desire attracted us back to the ride, the ride is important to me and brings me joy, because it brings him joy.
    I am glad to see that you have finally taken my advice and you're letting someone else do your thinking for you. I really think it's the best strategy given your track record. Good for your son!

I think someone pointed out that much of the real estate that it takes up overlaps with the sub building...I could be wrong, if so, that does mean that part of the area does double duty, which is nice.
    Maybe. If the subs are the attraction we are talking about, then it could be that any theoretical capacity per square footage increase (by doing "double duty") might be offset by the sub's remarkably slow load time.

• Hooterville, USA

I wonder how kids would feel about removing the cars?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

I kinda' liked Autopia, when I was a kid, but it was actually disappointing to me, too. The idea of getting to drive a car was cool, but the cars are slow, smelly, hard to steer, sound like lawn mowers on parade, and the only real scenery is shrubs around the track. I remember thinking 'Ok, so I push the pedal and wait for the car to sputter into action, then probably have to take my foot off the pedal to avoid hitting my brother, who keeps stopping short, in front of me.' The ride really hasn't changed and, even when she was younger, my daughter reported that she pretty much felt the same about the ride. Now, at the age of 14, my daughter really couldn't care less for the ride.

If it were up to me (and it really should be, after all), since it is popular with so many kids (full-grown and otherwise), I probably wouldn't have it torn out. However, it would need to be ultra-modernized, given some really good scenery and atmosphere, and reduced in size by at least 50%, to make room for multiple new attractions. If Autopia were really spruced-up, even if it was made a lot shorter than it is now, I think that it would become even more popular than it has been in a long time. If it's never going to be seriously renovated, then take it out (along with the subs) and make room for a few new, high-quality attractions.

If Autopia and the Subs were to be removed, a fair number of fans would bemoan the loss, but those kids that fans claim would greatly miss them, would likely applaud their removal, once they were to replaced by multiple new, really futuristic attractions.

As for the idea that Autopia should be left there because Walt was involved with it's creation, I'd bet that Walt would be sick to know that it's still sitting there, in the 'land of tomorrow', largely unchanged from what it was in the 1960's. He'd have insisted on it being greatly updated or simply had it replaced with something much more in line with a futuristic city.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 02-03-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Clarificating my ideas
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Meh

I still remember going on this as a child and being so happy the first time I got to drive my car solo haha!

It would be a sad day if they decided to get ride of this ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tricks View Post
    I still remember going on this as a child and being so happy the first time I got to drive my car solo haha!

It would be a sad day if they decided to get ride of this ride
    i concur!
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast