Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Fowler'sINN

Autopia, does it still do it for ya?

I loved it as a kid but have no desire to go on this ride any more. Does any one have this ride on their must do list when they visit the park? Is it honestly still enjoyable?

I think the tearing out atuopia and half of the submarine ride to create the Star was land with a E ticket speeder bike ride would be amazing. The autopia track takes up so much so awesome real estate in disneyland, if you look at a map autopia is almost bigger then some of the existing lands. That area is already covered with trees and would be perfect to turn into Endor. If they make it anything like cars land I think people would embrace and love it as well.

thoughts?

• Minion

Re: Autopia, does it still do it for ya?

If Disney takes out Autopia for Star Wars, I would hate them for a while.

To answer your question, yes, Autopia still does it for me. I love that attraction very much. The last time I rode it, the park was getting ready to close. Besides my party, there were maybe three others driving. It was great. No bumping and the cars ran smoothly. It was fantastic and I hope Autopia stays.

• Minion

I don't want Star Wars to replace it, but it definitely could use an update to electric cars.

• Indiana Scott

I really struggle with this one. The ride is still super popular with kids and Walt had was directly involved with it but it takes up so much valuable land. I would like to see two or three rides that are intertwined with each other go in there. And something truly futuristic would be great (NOT Star Wars).

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    If Disney takes out Autopia for Star Wars, I would hate them for a while.

To answer your question, yes, Autopia still does it for me. I love that attraction very much. The last time I rode it, the park was getting ready to close. Besides my party, there were maybe three others driving. It was great. No bumping and the cars ran smoothly. It was fantastic and I hope Autopia stays.
    Good to know. I always just see a huge line and the smell of the exhaust and so many cars bumping each other and get turned off, I get enough of that on the 405. Your experience of riding it at the end of the night did sound fun, I just might have to wait till the park is about to close to hop on. Thanks

•   
    • Minion

Well what needs to happen to it is a lot of updates. In that process though it needs to be reconfigured to take up less space IMO. Or this idea been been thrown around before but it would be an awesome PM replacement. Put it in the air above TL and make the cars more futuristic. That way you can add show scenes indoors with the world of tomorrow type of show cases. The other way to go is to move it into carsland where is could be a wonderful addition over there.

As far as it current state I think it's pretty lame. Fr the simple fact of how much room it takes up and how little the capacity is. The secenry is the cool part and sharing the experience with a little one. Both of these can be retained in a newer version. I know poeople want to hold onto it because it's an orignal attraction but honestly how much of it has changed since then? I would rather see it better.

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I really struggle with this one. The ride is still super popular with kids and Walt had was directly involved with it but it takes up so much valuable land. I would like to see two or three rides that are intertwined with each other go in there. And something truly futuristic would be great (NOT Star Wars).
    I think you're on to something with the three ride idea, defiantly a great idea.

I can see why people do not want Star Wars in Disney but It might be the only theme that won't become out dated over time, and everyone loves Star Wars. Not sure why there is no much Star Wars hate, isn't star tours on everyone's top rides list?? Haven't been to WDW in a while but the que for star tours is Endor like and I thought it was very well done. The autopia area has so many trees and foliage, it would be stupid not to incorporate the existing surroundings.

• Chief Troublemaker

I still love Autopia. Can't put my finger on why. I guess it's because I 'drove' it as a kid and it was always such a thrill. Same for my now grown sons.

I wouldn't mind some vehicle updating (but I'd like the cars to sound the same, putt putt putt) or some little futuristic buildings (like with moving scenes in windows or such*) but no Star Wars.

*the only problem with this type of 'plussing' would be traffic jams as I'd bet that drivers would want to stop and look.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

No. RSR takes care of the need for speed and the thrill of turning the wheel as worn off at the age of 58. But in six years when my grandson is behind the wheel at autopia, it will still do it for me with his smile!!!!
    Last edited by laferney Road kid; 01-31-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wrong button

• Minion

TO be honest, until very recently, I hadn't been on Autopia in a long time... but now I have a kid. And he LOVED it as much as I did when I was a kid. I'm 6'3 and barely fit into the cars without hurting my knees, but it's totally worth it to see how much he enjoys driving. I do think it takes up too much real estate, but maybe that's the the price for a ride that lasts as long as it does that kids enjoy so much.

• Down Pluto!

Not as much as when I was 8, or when my kids were about the same age - but yeah, it still does it for me.

It does need to be updated to be more futuristic though...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    TO be honest, until very recently, I hadn't been on Autopia in a long time... but now I have a kid. And he LOVED it as much as I did when I was a kid. I'm 6'3 and barely fit into the cars without hurting my knees, but it's totally worth it to see how much he enjoys driving. I do think it takes up too much real estate, but maybe that's the the price for a ride that lasts as long as it does that kids enjoy so much.
    Many responsible dads and moms probably feel the same about Autopia as you do. Fortunately, I did not have a responsible dad. He let me drive our family car up and down and all around empty parking lots even when I was a shockingly young little fella. Autopia couldn't compare. Never cared for it.

I say tear it out and put in an attraction with a less-specific target audience.

•   
    • Minion

I can't drive, so my friends love taking me on Autopia and making me drive the cars there, LOL. I'm not good at it. Even on a track. My car usually spends the entire ride banging into the sides of the track. There's a reason I don't drive real cars...

Having said that, I think it's one of those rides you either really love or really don't. If you're driving every day, as many people do in SoCal, driving at the park is understandably not a thrill. If you can't drive or you're too young to drive, it may be fun.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Many responsible dads and moms probably feel the same about Autopia as you do. Fortunately, I did not have a responsible dad. He let me drive our family car up and down and all around empty parking lots even when I was a shockingly young little fella. Autopia couldn't compare. Never cared for it.

I say tear it out and put in an attraction with a less-specific target audience.
    First I ask, how could you possible reach the pedals? But secondly I say, the target audience isn't as small you as you think... it's not JUST for the little ones, it also includes the parents and family members that get to enjoy it with them, I'd say that makes the target audience fairly large.

• Minion

I can't deny it needs to be updated. It does. Just don't take it out.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast