Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who supplies Disney with mint juleps?

I know that Coke supplies Disney with all their soft drinks, but do they also supply them with the mint juleps? Or does Disney make the drink in the park?

•   
    • Minion

Re: Who supplies Disney with mint juleps?

I asked for, and received, the full recipe for mint juleps once (you can ask at City Hall). I'm therefore 99% sure they're made in-house.

I remember recieving my Mint Julep from a soda fountain. Do they package their own syrup?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Minion

^^ I haven't a clue, but I'm guessing the answer is yes. The recipe I received wasn't just about assembling the drink; it included the full instructions for boiling sugar and lime and concocting the syrup.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Wow. I'm quite impressed. I wish they would market it and mass produce it - or have Coke purchase it.

That's one way they get people to the parks because it's where you get those tasty Mint Juleps.

I'm thinking they contract out. Possibly to a company that provides syrups for bars. I'm kind of doubting that they would make the syrup, pour it into a bag within a heavy-duty cardboard box.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 02-03-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I had to buy four of them yesterday so I could drink some on during the 4 hour drive home

•   
    • Minion

If they contracted to another company they wouldn't have given me the recipe, though - that would be violating someone's trade secret. Plus, it looked from the recipe as though they added a few things that wouldn't necessarily be found in a syrup for a bar - since those depend on bourbon for taste and Disney's don't have alcohol.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I bet their supplier is SCOPE mouthwash.

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    That's one way they get people to the parks because it's where you get those tasty Mint Juleps.

I'm thinking they contract out. Possibly to a company that provides syrups for bars. I'm kind of doubting that they would make the syrup, pour it into a bag within a heavy-duty cardboard box.
    You're right, no way they produce in the parks. Love them though

•   
    • Minion

In case anyone is curious, this is the recipe (available online, but if you go to City Hall they will give you a xerox of it. I have to find mine, but this sounds about what I remember).

Ingredients:

• 3 lb sugar
    • 1 gallon water
    • 1 pt Creme de Menthe syrup (non-alcoholic)
    • 1/2 6 oz can of frozen limeade concentrate
    • 1/2 6 oz can of frozen lemonade concentrate

Garnishes:

• fresh mint sprigs
    • maraschino cherries
    • fresh lemon wedge

Instructions:

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir the contents until the sugar is dissolved.

Stir in lime and lemonade concentrate next. Continue stirring and bring to boil just below the boiling point (210 degrees.) DO NOT BOIL!

Remove pan from heat and chill. Once chilled, add a ratio of 1 part syrup to 5 parts chilled water.

Transfer beverage to pitcher and enjoy!

Garnish each serving with mint leaves, lime slice and a maraschino cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    If they contracted to another company they wouldn't have given me the recipe, though - that would be violating someone's trade secret. Plus, it looked from the recipe as though they added a few things that wouldn't necessarily be found in a syrup for a bar - since those depend on bourbon for taste and Disney's don't have alcohol.

What if Disney owns the recipe and is just contracting out the making of it?

Plenty of companies own a recipe to something, but contract out the actual production of it.

If its Disney's recipe, and I don't see how contracting production out violates a trade secret if Disney so chooses to share it.

Coke for example produces some products for other companies under a license agreement or distribution agreement, but doesn't actually own all the brands that can be linked to them.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 02-04-2014 at 03:37 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    What if Disney owns the recipe and is just contracting out the making of it?

Plenty of companies own a recipe to something, but contract out the actual production of it.

If its Disney's recipe, and I don't see how contracting production out violates a trade secret if Disney so chooses to share it.

Coke for example produces some products for other companies under a license agreement or distribution agreement, but doesn't actually own all the brands that can be linked to them.
    Oh, I don't think they're actually mixing all that up in the Mint Julep Bar. They are either doing it backstage (which is entirely possible) or contracting it out. My point though is that if they're contracting someone to mix it up for them, it's still their recipe that is being mixed and formulated; they're not buying some off the shelf Mint Julep syrup or mix made by Coca-Cola. If they were, I doubt they'd be able to hand out the recipe for it, that's what I meant. if it's their recipe they can hand it out. If it's Company X's brand of syrup that they simply buy for the park, they can't hand out the recipe for it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Some of you old timers might remember Jungle Julep which was served at the Tahitian Terrace and at Sunkist, I Presume. In any case it was a sort of a tropical punch version of a Mint Julep. One of the main ingredients was orange juice, which was fresh squeezed by Sunkist every morning around 3 or 4 am before the park opened. If I recall this was a Disney-owned recipe which used orange juice and being that Sunkist was in the park at that time that is the juice that they used.

I think they use syrup they buy from an outside vendor. A few years ago they sold the syrup in bottles at the Mint Julep bar. I bought a couple of the bottles and made some at home. I think they came from a company in Tustin,Ca. Too bad they don't sell it at the park anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast