Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Question Great, new attraction vs. Old, beloved attraction

Preface: I understand that, at least in the opinion of many MiceChatters, Disney has made some less-than-stellar new attractions, with too much emphasis on tying those new attractions to media franchises, for cross marketing. But, for the sake of the below discussion, lets not obsess about that. Also, this isn't about ride throughput numbers. What I'm going for, here, is a personal feeling about one option or another.

Most, if not all, of us have emotional, nostalgic attachments to one or more attractions and would be loathe to see them ever removed. So, would it be a bigger shame to a) Remove such an attraction that is still enjoyed by many, but may be long in the tooth and which is slowly losing it's popularity over time, or b) to not remove such attraction, if it were to be replaced by a new, original, higher-quality attraction that would likely be considerably more enjoyable to a greater percentage/number of guests (including children, adults and yourself), and which is a better enhances the theme of the land in which it resides?
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Meh

Re: Great, new attraction vs. Old, beloved attraction

I'm assuming were talking about Subs and Autopia? I think it really depends on each and every person. Personally, these rides aren't amazing to me and I would not be adverse to see them go if it meant a newer attraction being put in. But I know others love them quite a bit!

Other than that it really depends on the attraction for me, there are some older attractions that I like that others don't really care for and I have to convince my friends to go on (Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise etc.) that I would be extremely upset should Disney ever take out, but I know others wouldn't really mind haha!

I guess it depends on the attraction. I certainly have an emotional attachment to Autopia. I remember the pure joy I felt when I was 4 or 5 years old and "driving" a car with my Dad who is no longer with me. It would make me very sad to see Autopia go. But I can also see removing it because it takes up a massive amount of space and it's not really a first rate attraction anymore.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tricks View Post
    I'm assuming were talking about Subs and Autopia?
    Nope. This is not about any specific attraction(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tricks View Post
    I think it really depends on each and every person.
    Exactly. I'm looking for how people would feel about rides, that they have attachment, to being removed.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Sorry that this derailed so quickly!

As for your topic, I don't think I can as easily divorce amount of land used/ride throughput numbers from the discussion. If we're going with everything being equal (i.e. the new ride would take up the same amount of real estate and provide the same throughput numbers), I'd still be on the fence. There are some rides at the park that I consider sacred cows (Pirates, HM, JC for example) while there are other rides that I could live without but would like to see remain just for variety (Subs, Autopia).

• Down Pluto!

Change is not always progress.

The replacement of an older attraction with a newer one has too many variables based on both to make a blanket case. It depends...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
    • Minion

I personally don't care whether or not attractions are based of franchises or not. It's always about the way it's delivered. If a older attraction needs to be replaced a lot of factors should be taken into consideration as well. Also a blanket statement about IP based attractions being bad ideas is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. There are very good attractions at the park based off franchises. There are bad ones too. if something is taken out I always hope that it's replaced by something better. For the most part I think they get it right.

@BiggestDisneyFan

What does an ellipses mean as a reply? Haven't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    @BiggestDisneyFan

What does an ellipses mean as a reply? Haven't seen that before.
    Boredom or incredulity is my best guess.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

This is a thought provoking question that I think is best answered through a VERY LONG view. Some people are loathe to approve the removal or demo of ANY ride at Disneyland. Take Toads for example. There was a huge backlash to keep that ride at WDW. I personally would lean more toward don't touch anything ever please thank you very much. BUT, I am also a practical person. Especially when you think of things this way...

If you're in the don't ever change camp, in 100 years, would it be your expectation that the park would look just like it does today? In this sense, if you can concede that this is not likely, then you have to also accept that change is going to happen. Once you can do that, than you can come to accept that Autopia WILL BE GONE eventually, if not soon.

Disneyland today looks quite a bit different than it did in 1955. Especially in the NOS/Frontierland areas. But I prefer today over yesterday. Seems like I can feel the same way in another 20 years.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• MCP Warrior Elite

I'm both a traditionalist and a realist...It does depend on what we are talking about and if I really trust the current management or not.

Unlike many, I'm not a big "what would Walt do" kind of guy. IMHO, he set the standards and an expectation of creativity, but it is the current management's responsibility to make sure the changes/additions/subtractions are being done for the right reasons.

I also had very fond memories of the Autopia, but would have not problem if they ripped them out to replace them with a new high-quality experience that will fire the imagination and passion of a new generation (or any generation).

In my personal opinion, some of the "legacy" attractions at Disneyland were not worth saving. Some of these tired attractions are still in the park. (I won't say which ones in order to avoid a flame war)

I would rather see Disneyland expand it's physical footprint and add attractions that way, but they also need to make sure they use their current square footage in the best possible way. My main concern is that they maintain the QUALITY and the INVESTMENT in the new attractions, not just put it up to get a quick cash-in on some current fad or property.
    Last edited by Mr Snappy; 02-05-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Typos

You know what it is...it's fear. We're afraid to let go of those old beloved rides for fear that whatever they put in there will be crap. We sometimes don't trust a non-Walt regime.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, for me it's not fair to compare a ride made in the 1950's or 60's to one built more recently with modern technology. I do love Pirates and Mansion, but I'll take Indiana Jones, Expedition Everest, Mission: Space, Test Track, or Soarin Over California any day.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

If they took out major, classic attractions for new ones, I would likely be very upset with them, but I think I would still go to the park. But, if they ever remove the Haunted Mansion (my fav. ride), I would never go to the park ever again.

What upsets me is when they tear out something beloved, like Skyway or Court of Angels and replace it with -- nothing.

How would I feel if Ft. Wilderness were torn down and replaced by an Ewok Village? I'd be okay with that. If King Arthur's Carousel were removed for more stroller parking? I'd be sick to my stomach.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast