• Indy's Faithful Friend

Better or Worse?

Space is at a premium in Disneyland now more than ever. This means that most new attractions will have to replace existing ones. WDI's track record for replacing attractions is only so-so, but how good is it exactly? Is change really a good thing given what we've been given? To that end:

1. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln replaced by 50th Annivesary film with Steve Martin: Better or worse?

2. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse replaced by Tarzan's Treehouse: Better or worse?

3. Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland replaced by Big Thunder Mountain: Better or worse?

4. Country Bear Jamboree replaced by the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Better or worse?

5. Circle Vision replaced by Buzz Lighyear's Astro Blasters: Better or worse?

6. America Sings replaced by Innoventions: Better or worse?

7. Captain EO replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience: Better or worse?

8. Rocket Jets replaced by Astro Orbiter: Better or worse?

9. Adventure through Inner Space replaced by Star Tours: Better or worse?

Now number 10 would be "Peoplemover replaced by Rocket Rods" but we all know the answer to that one now don't we? Tally up all your "betters" and "worses" (add one to the worse total to account for Rocket Rods) and see which comes up the winner.

Lasseter has his work cut out for him.

• Drunk On Disney

Re: Better or Worse?

Hmmm. I think:
    1. Better
    2. Worse
    3. Better
    4. Worse
    5. Better
    6. Worse
    7. Worse
    8. Better
    9. Worse
    10. Worse

Thats 6 worse and 4 better. Not awful, but I hope it improves.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

1. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln replaced by 50th Annivesary film with Steve Martin: Better or worse?

Never saw the show, so I can't answer.

2. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse replaced by Tarzan's Treehouse: Better or worse?

I like Robinson treehouse better (Decision to move out Robinsons...Worst)

3. Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland replaced by Big Thunder Mountain: Better or worse?

Never rode Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland, but wish I had. Other than that I am a Big Thunder fan (Decision to add Big Thunder...Better)

4. Country Bear Jamboree replaced by the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Better or worse?

I am a Country Bears fanatic! So you should know my answer (Decision to force bears to hypernate for stuffed toys...worst)

Circle Vision seemed quite boring. Never rode Buzz though but it seems like a fun attraction. But since I only experienced Circle Vision I will say that is better. (Replacing classic Disney for a toy....Better)

Anything is better than Innoventions. But my question is "What is better, Caroussel of Progress of America Sings?" (Replacing anything with Innoventions...WORST!!!)

I would go with Captain EO. I rode that when I was a kid and it was a very entertaining childs show. HISTA was okay too, but It is boring after you experience it for the first time. HISTA and Captain EO were both attractions that needed to be experienced once before people got bored of them. (Replacing the moonwalkin space man for nerdy genius...worst)

Is there really a difference? I mean all both really did was go up and down like the Dumbo ride in Fantasyland right? Well that is how I remember them. (Inconclusive)

I would like to experience Inner Space but that can't happen So I guess to me since Star Tours is the only attraction I rode, I am going with Star Tours, but the movie needs a major update. (Replacing molecule experiments with travels to ENDOR...Better)

Now number 10 would be "Peoplemover replaced by Rocket Rods" but we all know the answer to that one now don't we?

I would have like Rocket Rods more better if they kept the wheelie. I really could care less about what the traveling carts looked like because they both went through the same areas (Tron, Star Tours). But I guess....Hum.....I guess.....People Mover since the carts looked more beautiful than the rods. (Replacing the Peoplemover of the future...WORST)

Tally up all your "betters" and "worses" (add one to the worse total to account for Rocket Rods) and see which comes up the winner.

Okay I got 5 worst, 3 betters, and 2 inconclusives.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 02-01-2006 at 01:55 PM.

1. B
    2. B
    3. B
    4. W
    5. W
    6. W
    7. W
    8. W
    9. B
    (10. W)

I get 6-4, different 6 and 4, but that's interesting...

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

N/A, because, as of now, this is only temporary.

No change.

Better... but I say that having never ridden Mine Train ... except for Knotts'

4. Country Bear Jamboree replaced by the Many Adventures of Winnie the

Worse

Better

Worse, but as much as I loved America Sings, it's time had come and gone.

About the same, maybe slightly better because of broader appeal and comedy. But HISTA needs to be replaced.

Worse. Come on, man.

Better. ATIS was really cool, but Star Tours was phenomenal. We just need an update now.

I got 4 "Betters" ...
    and 3 "Worses" ... (worses?)
    and 2 "no changes"

• Long live the Fire Lord

Ahh man, I thought this was thate game where one person list two things (ex: churros or cotton candy)
    then the next person to post says what they like more, and then post two more choices.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• Small Projects Team

1.better (just because it's temporary, I still like Great moments better)
    2.worse
    3.better
    4.worse
    5.worse
    6.worse
    7.better
    8.worse
    9.worse
    10.worse

3 better, 7 worse

• Mickeyfan3

1. HAVEN'T SEEN THE NEW ONE YET.....AS LONG AS IT'S TEMPORARY!

2. MISS THE ROBINSONS....BUT MY SON PROBABLY PREFERS TARZAN. jUST NOW OLD ENOUGH (9) TO WATCH THE MOVIE!

3. 50/50....I REMEMBER THE MINE TRAIN BUT LOVE TM TOO...

4. BRING BACK THE BEARS AND MAX, BUFF AND MELVIN! aND WHILE THEY'RE AT IT, THEY NEED TO BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL, PROBABLY POLITICALLY INCORRECT (DRUNK BEARS?) VERSION TOO....THAT LAST SUMMER VACATION OR WHATEVER WAS IT'S DOWNFALL. I MISS HENRY!

5. NEVER DID CIRCLE VISION AND WILL BE TRYING THE ASTRO BLASTERS THIS WEEK....

6. A/S WAS COOL....NEVER DID GET BORED ENOUGH TO CHECK OUT INNOVENTIONS.

7. HMMMM, NEVER WAS A HUGE MJ FAN SO WE ALWAYS SKIPPED IT.

8. WORSE

9. I REALLY LIKED ATIS....BUT I LOVE STAR TOURS TOO!!!
    Now number 10 would be "Peoplemover replaced by Rocket Rods" but we all know the answer to that one now don't we? Tally up all your "betters" and "worses" (add one to the worse total to account for Rocket Rods) and see which comes up the winner.

• Rock Star Minion

Thanks for numbering them!
    1. Even, but "Worse" if Lincoln doesn't return.
    2. Even, although I do miss the oompa music.
    3. Better.
    4. Worse. By a landslide.
    5. Better.
    6. Worse.
    7. Even. Main reason is that these things need replacing a lot more frequently than they do.
    8. Worse.
    9. Better, though less romantic.
    10. Worse.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Better - Love the movie and the display. If not in its current location I would love this to be a permanent display. How about at the DL Hotel?

Only because I am older will I give this a worse.

Better but I absolutely miss the Mine Train. There are elements that I wish had been kept. We need Cascade Mt. replaced. It would have been great if the initial part of the ride went through the tunnel out to the Rivers of America by two waterfalls before plunging into the Mt.

Worse - no question

Better

Worse but I hold out hope that the space will be used for something spectacular down the road!

Eh

Worse - I miss the view from on high and taking the elevators! Always rode the Rocket Jets; never ride Astro Orbiter. Besides the AO obstructs the view into Tomorrowland

Again being old I have fond memories of ATIS but Star Tours was ground breaking upon its debut. We need an update.

Worse - RR was like going fast on the freeway. I can already do that.

4 Better
    5 Worse
    1 Eh

Other things to consider:

Indy in exchange for a small part of Jungle Cruise and the Eyeore Parking Lot - Better

Fantasmic in exchange for a closed Tom Sawyers Island and being able to ride the Mark Twain at night - Better but I have to say that I like the occassional quiet night in NO Square.

Splash Mt. in exchange for snoring bear - better

Haunted Mansion and Small World holiday overlays - better (ok not technically a WDI item)

Nemo Submarine Attraction in exchange for unused body of water - better but we will see how we like it compared to old submarine attraction. I like that we still have one and WDW lost theirs.

Seperate FL and TL Autopia with new Autopia - better.

Just some other fun thoughts!
    The Mur

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

1. Better
    2. Much worse
    3. Better
    4. Worse
    5. Worse
    6. Meh
    7. Meh
    8. Worse
    9. Better (needs an update though)
    10. Much worse

Betters: 3
    Worse: 3
    Much worse: 2
    Meh: 2

Disneyland has some catching up to do...

• CM for 4 years!

Better, as long as it's only temporary. Sometimes we don't know what we've lost until it's gone, and now that Lincoln's away for a while, I definitely can't wait for him to come back so that I can experience his speech for the first time!

Better. I'd say that at the time of replacement, most of the Disneyland-visiting public had not seen the original Swiss Family Robinson film, myself included. And we all have the Swisskapolka downloaded on our computers anyways (not to mention it plays on the music loop in the Adventureland/NOS/Fronteirland room of the Disney Gallery!) It's still not much of a treehouse, but I love Tarzan.

Better, although I can't say so objectively, since I wasn't alive for Mine Train, but I DO know that BTMRR is my favorite "coaster" ride in the entire park!

Worse! No question about it. CBJ was my FAVORITE attraction growing up. Need to visit it again in FL.

Better!! It's great to see a FastPass attraction that the entire family can enjoy. My three year old sister loves it as much as my sixteen year old sister as much as my thirty-nine year old mom.

WORSE! Corporate sponsorship replacing original innovation and anamatronic figures is always disheartening. Although it didn't exactly fit in "tomorrowland"... neither does Innoventions... it's definitely filled with the innovations of yesterday. Plus, Nathan Lane's voice is soooo grating as Tom Morrow.

Worse! I mean, there's no motivational message behind HISTA like EO! We are gonna change the world! Woo! Ok, admittedly, MJ was a little out-of-date, and it's undoubtable that something "new" was needed in this space, but couldn't they have come up with something BETTER?

Worse! I would have lovvvved to have ridden Rocket Jets all the way up high in the sky like that! I never remember having done it.

Better! Star Tours connected with a demographic that Disney was struggling to pull into the parks, so it's clever marketing, as well as creating an innovative attraction which was able to hold its own for about twenty years! Admittedly, now I'ld love to see a new "better or worse" question about a new attraction going in here!

And my own personal addition...

10. Carousel of Progress replaced by America Sings. Better or worse?
    WORSE. CoP was Walt's favorite attraction, and one that could hav ebeen updated to still be just as incredible as it assuredly was when it first premiered at the 1966 World's Fair.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

1. Better
    2. Worse
    3. Better
    4. Worse
    5. Better
    6. Worse
    7. Worse
    8. Better
    9. Worse
    10. Worse

• My Children's Father

1. Haven't seen the new one yet, besides it is temporary
    2. worse
    3. even
    4. worse
    5. Better, but this question is not fair since Rocket Rods (actually the queue) replaced Circlevision
    6. worse, but only in its execution. I think the innoventions idea was a better one than the singing animatronic show. And AS was definitely worse than CoP
    7. Better, but I haven't appreciated any of MJ's work after Ben on any level, and held most of it in contempt. In fairness, I never saw CE for the reasons stated ......
    8. Not really a fair comparison, as this "replacement" project should be lumped together wither with #10. But for the sake of the discussion, I'll say worse
    9. Better
    10. Worse, but again, only in execution. If WDI had been given a sufficient budget to work with, Rocket Rods in some improved form would still exist.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• I'm your huckleberry.

1. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln replaced by 50th Annivesary film with Steve Martin: Better or worse? Tie - I like them both equally, but will be sad if Lincoln doesn't come back.

2. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse replaced by Tarzan's Treehouse: Better or worse? Worse

3. Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland replaced by Big Thunder Mountain: Better or worse? Better - I never rode the Mine Train, but I really love BTMRR.

4. Country Bear Jamboree replaced by the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Better or worse? Better - Yeah, yeah, flame away. I HATED Country Bears.

5. Circle Vision replaced by Buzz Lighyear's Astro Blasters: Better or worse? Better - I thought CircleVision was snoozeville.

6. America Sings replaced by Innoventions: Better or worse? Worse

7. Captain EO replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience: Better or worse? Better - I like both, but MJ's creepiness gives HISTA the edge.

8. Rocket Jets replaced by Astro Orbiter: Better or worse? Worse - Its the same ride, but now the location is retarded.

9. Adventure through Inner Space replaced by Star Tours: Better or worse? Better - As much as I loved ATIS as a kid, StarTours beats it by a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.