• formerly very helpful

Other ideas they had for Science Land?

With all the talk about remodeling Tomorrowland, what were some of the ideas that were considered for the redo in the 90s that ended up with what we got? I seem to remember seeing some drawings way back when that looked pretty good.

• Selfie Expert

Re: Other ideas they had for Science Land?

This made me laugh out loud. Hard!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Tomorrowland 2055 was the never realized project from the early 1990s. Included items like Plectu's Intergalactic Revue in the Carousel Theater and The ExtraTERRORestial Alien Encounter in the Mission to Mars theater.

• formerly very helpful

Kelly, I guess it's now officially become a "thing."

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Kelly, I guess it's now officially become a "thing."
    My husband is ridiculously proud of this. We are creating a monster!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Artistic integrity

With all the talk about remodeling Tomorrowland, what were some of the ideas that were considered for the redo in the 90s that ended up with what we got? I seem to remember seeing some drawings way back when that looked pretty good.
    huh?

You're not quite clear, here.

As LazyBoy said .... TL:2055 was the plan .. first envisioned in the late 80s. Progressed .. with needed approval by summer 1991. Eisner killed off everything in it. None of it transpired to the present. Not in DL .. not anywhere else.

* Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue - never surfaced in any form to any Disney park.
    * Alien Encounter - Did it make it to WDW, where it lasted 8 years.
    * Timekeeper - Also done for WDW's TL94 makeover. Also gone! Replaced by Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
    * The newly designed Rocket Jets. It was this round blob that looked like a bad nightmare from a "1950s" vision of the future. Never built, anywhere else.
    * Lunar landscaping, with "alien" plants throughout the land - Never adapted to other Disney parks, died with "TL2055".
    * Re-routed Peoplemover - Gone was the promenade stretch .. and "in" and "out" spurs were to go directly through the Star Trader. Replaced by the defunct Rocket Rods idea, 4 years later. And now a defunct path, going on 14 years.
    * In a slide presentation I saw of TL2055 .. there was some cool water falls, and water fountains in corners of the land. Disney seems to have completely turned away from water features in it's TLs around the world. Weird!
    * Double decking the land, connected by various skywalks. Walt wanted TL67 like this. Imagineering put the plan upfront once again. Beaten again. Now with Cal-OSHA having gone "nuclear" with safety railing ... I don't see how a double-decked land, with connecting skywalks will ever happen.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    My husband is ridiculously proud of this. We are creating a monster!
    Despite your husband's Tomorrowland confusion, from what I can remember reading, "Science Land" was once a legit idea in the designing stages as a sub-land of TL sometime in 1957. It later was combined with other ideas and never fully realized. But "Science Land" was a real thought by Walt himself at one point, so not quite as funny as you think.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    huh?

You're not quite clear, here.

As LazyBoy said .... TL:2055 was the plan .. first envisioned in the late 80s. Progressed .. with needed approval by summer 1991. Eisner killed off everything in it. None of it transpired to the present. Not in DL .. not anywhere else.

* Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue - never surfaced in any form to any Disney park.
    * Alien Encounter - Did it make it to WDW, where it lasted 8 years.
    * Timekeeper - Also done for WDW's TL94 makeover. Also gone! Replaced by Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
    * The newly designed Rocket Jets. It was this round blob that looked like a bad nightmare from a "1950s" vision of the future. Never built, anywhere else.
    * Lunar landscaping, with "alien" plants throughout the land - Never adapted to other Disney parks, died with "TL2055".
    * Re-routed Peoplemover - Gone was the promenade stretch .. and "in" and "out" spurs were to go directly through the Star Trader. Replaced by the defunct Rocket Rods idea, 4 years later. And now a defunct path, going on 14 years.
    * In a slide presentation I saw of TL2055 .. there was some cool water falls, and water fountains in corners of the land. Disney seems to have completely turned away from water features in it's TLs around the world. Weird!
    * Double decking the land, connected by various skywalks. Walt wanted TL67 like this. Imagineering put the plan upfront once again. Beaten again. Now with Cal-OSHA having gone "nuclear" with safety railing ... I don't see how a double-decked land, with connecting skywalks will ever happen.
    I think some of what you mentioned is what I was thinking of. I never heard of the lunar landscaping. Not sure what that means. If anyone knows of existing artwork of these, I'd love to see it.

• Artistic integrity

The ground was to look like the ground surface of the moon. Or a moon, from another solar system. With some strange alien plants in various landscape-pods.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think some of what you mentioned is what I was thinking of. I never heard of the lunar landscaping. Not sure what that means. If anyone knows of existing artwork of these, I'd love to see it.
    Just search Google Image Search or even the MiceChat forums for Tomorrowland 2055.