Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Toontown...Yay or Nay

I am so not a fan of ToonTown. I think its a boring area of the park, and more of a "play area" for kids than a real attraction. I really would love for them to do something else with it, but there are a lot of logistical reasons why it would make it difficult/impossible.

Someone else already mentioned the fireworks. Its not that they are uncomfortable with guests in the area, its that its a legal issue. THey legally have to shut down to shoot off the fireworks, which are shot off from just behind toon town.

The second issue is all of the backstage areas. Entertainment, janitorial, and fantasyland offices are literally, I mean LITERALLY right behind the walls of toon town. So you have to create something that isn't disruptive to that.

• Minion

I think Toontown and Autopia both hit the same demographic which is under-represented here so you get the same reaction to both. Search for Autopia threads. They're remarkably similar to Toontown threads (including this one).

• Meh

I don't mind it, you need to consider the families that have small children. Image how packed Fantasyland would be without ToonTown there for an alternative..

Also, this is one of the main meet-n-greet locations for Mickey, Minnie, and sometimes Goofy, where people can always find them for pictures and autographs..

I love the idea of Toontown, but hate the execution. When it first opened it was a lot more lively, with the Jolly Trolley, and the play areas actually open, but it certainly has not aged well. The style of architecture requires a lot of upkeep and repainting to keep it looking good, which they haven't done. I do go back there for Roger Rabbit, but that's about it.

I want to see a complete overhaul of the land in the style of the old Mickey Mouse cartoons. This means losing the "cartoon-y" Roger Rabbit style of architecture for a more realistic and classic design. I'd change it from a downtown area to a rustic neighborhood, looking at Walt's Carolwood Barn and the old shorts for inspiration. Maybe put in a dark ride or two (Steamboat Willie?), a new show, and/or a nice homestyle restaurant, and you've got yourself a nice solid land. Oh, and a lot more trees and shade. It would also transition nicely into a Frontierland expansion, which you could connect where the Chip 'n Dale Treehouse is now.

If they did something like this, Mickey and Friends would exist in their own world instead of trying to exist in Roger Rabbit's. I might move Roger over to Hollywood Land, by way of the Ink & Paint Club or Maroon Studios, and not in Toontown form. Not sure if I'd change the name of the land, but I think the name Toontown has evolved past Who Framed Roger Rabbit and could still work.

• Done with MC.

TT isn't for me but maybe if I was a lot younger..
    nah, I don't think I was ever impressed by painted rocks.

Nay on TT

I'd honestly like to see this area eventually become an expansion of Fantasyland, the land available is too small for its own theme in my opinion and Fantasyland is already there on the other side of the Railroad with IASW and the Fantasyland Theater. What I'd like to see is a renovation that will take on a look similar to the FL expansion that is wrapping up in Florida and utimately consist of:

A Tangled Boat attraction
    CA version of Be Our Guest (DL needs more table service)
    Something along the lines of a Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster but smaller to replace Gadgets
    A Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride

I'd leave Mickey and Minnie's homes alone but transform them to woodland cottages to blend in and not leave them homeless. At this point the other character's homes are beyond repair in my opinion and show go to make room for the new additions. Roger Rabbit would also be removed as well but I can see that moving over to DCA in Hollywood Land. Ultimately, like what was by other posters, the fireworks are still an issue for this space and something would have to be figured out to use it to its full potential

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Something along the lines of a Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster but smaller to replace Gadgets
    Why smaller? I'd be all for that in general, and could easily see an argument for making it a new "Mountain". If you really want to go for it, retheme the Toontown station to fit the inside of a dwarven mine and build the mountain and attraction around it. It'd be the window into Splash but on steroids, and if you glop over into that area (taking care not to impinge on the Wonderbra theatre) you could build a fairly large ride.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

Toontown offers an area free of dark horror that young children experience elsewhere at Disneyland. They can relax and not worry what is next on the list of dark rides. It is a stress free pace, lots of room and no long lines every time you turn into a new direction
    My best memory, and it happened only because of breaking the rules, is that of my five year-old son bouncing in Goofy's house. The entire house to himself and, oh, was I envious. A dream come true to bounce without any rules. It was breaking the rules because I had secluded us into the depths of unvisited Toontown during an early evening park closure due a convention only visit.
    I was there again in the second week of this last December while my group of new visitors explored Taxi and Go-Gadget. It was very restful to sit on the fountains, look at the colors, the details. The area was busy, folks bouncing around, free from the stress of the lower 48

•   
    • Minion

I don't have kids, but I think Toontown is adorable, and I like the Roger Rabbit ride.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Down Pluto!

Just step inside ToonTown and see how many strollers it sucks up. Now imagine those strollers added to the already stroller-congested parking lots that used to be called walkways or paths. The already slow guest movement in the parks would come to a near standstill.

This reason alone is worth keeping ToonTown as-is.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

It always looks packed and I enjoy going back there once in awhile.

• Minion

needs more attractions

• Artistic integrity

NAY.

The land hasn't aged well.

In the time since it opened .... It went from hyped up physical-interaction .. .to lawyer proofing (dumbing-down) of some of the attractions. From shuttering certain aspects of Chip and Dales home .. to Goofy's Bounce House. Correct me if I'm wrong .. .didn't some elements in Donalds house go? And the loss of the Jolly Trolley. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is the only good attraction in there. I look at the architecture of Roger's ride facade .. and if done correctly .. I can see transitioning from that .. to a London Town working it's way west ... for a Mary Poppins ride. The one IP I do wish Disney would create. It has been on WDI's drawing boards since the 70s. I would really love to see that happen. Would have been nice .. for MP's 50th Anniversary ... which is this year. Oh well.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Your cadaverous pallor

I go there maybe once a trip its mostly for kids but there is some fun stuff for all ages like one of my fave-rate dark rides Roger rabbit the thing is it's so much different than any other disney experience that it's fun, there could be something occupying the rest of the land Just keep roger rabbit! yay

Would really like to see another 'bigger' ride on the opposite end to balance out RR. I would imagine it going behind one of the character houses into the backstage area. Sure, everything is important back there, but I could see them going 2-stories by digging down and putting the ride in the second floor.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast