Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Toontown...Yay or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Oh, agreed...but Redwood Creek is all the way across the esplanade in DCA, and getting a wound-up kid into the other park can probably be an ordeal in itself. I think DCA does better with this overall, between Redwood Creek and the Dot's splash area in Bug's Land. Toontown and TSI are it for Disneyland. It would be nice if they could expand the play/participatory areas in Toontown. There are a lot of cute little features like the dynamite factory that could be expanded. Or they could create a walk-through maze, perhaps.
    I think if Fantasyland were to take over that space, they could make a great "woodland friends" themed playground that would be better than all those combined. The "technology" of playgrounds have come a long way since Toontown was built and Redwood Challenge Creek Trail is an example of that.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Love Disney!

Toontown seems to be a hit with little kids, and we only visit there to get a picture with Minney and Mickey. My teenagers only visit to check out some of the shops. If they replaced Toontown with something else, I don't think I would mind.

• Fowler'sINN

Well I stepped into TT for the 1st time in about 12 years last Monday night with my GF. It was about 5:30 with the park closing at 8:00. The place was empty, and it was great. I enjoyed walking around and it did bring back some earlier memories but I was to old even when it 1st opened to really enjoy if for what it was. The highlight was defiantly getting to me Mickey! We got to walk through his house which I never remember being so big, it just kept going back and back till we finally reached the screening room where you wait for Mickey. After a short 10 min wait I got to meet the mouse! We were the last to take a pic with him so it was just Mickey, two CMs and my girlfriend and myself, we felt pretty special. We didn't get on roger rabbit because the fast pass was closed and I wasn't about To wait 30 min for that ride, but walking around and soaking all in was nice. After spending about 2 hours in TT I think I got my fill for another 12 years.

i think the area is great for kids and due to the fireworks the area will never be able to be used late into the night anyways, so I say keep it how it is until they was to refurb it.

So all in all yay I guess....

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

I'm gonna say nay.

TT today is a shadow of what it was when it opened and, in my opinion, desperately needs a refurb of some kind. Whether that is a re-theming or an overhaul of what is already there, I can't decide on what I would prefer.

As it is today, TT is a wasteland of HEAT. Where there are vegetation and other clever shade ideas throughout the rest of the park, TT is severely lacking... this might also be a factor in the distinct, not-so-pleasant smell that lingers on that hot pavement.

Of course, as others have said, anything done to that area of the park has the fireworks closure to consider and/or how to legally get around it. It would be nice if something could be thought up that wouldn't require that closure.
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

It's true that it's very hot back there and it could use some more trees.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Fowler'sINN

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Tricks View Post
    I don't mind it, you need to consider the families that have small children. Image how packed Fantasyland would be without ToonTown there for an alternative..

Also, this is one of the main meet-n-greet locations for Mickey, Minnie, and sometimes Goofy, where people can always find them for pictures and autographs..
    You hit the nail on the head. You close TT then fantasyland will become unbearable...

I have to say, I have two children and we always seem to skip it. Sometimes I try to force it on the trip for my nostalgic reasons. Roger Rabbit's cartoon spin is fun but the line, although detailed and fun, is usually too long. Gadgets go coaster is too short of a ride. And the houses are cool once or twice but a bore after that. Goofy's was better as a bounce house and chip and dale's treehouse is pointless without a ball pit. My three year old prefers POTC and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    How is this illogical? Several attractions have been built with multiple floors involved.
    Thats not the issues. The issue is the location. There is no room at all behind the character houses.

• #bringevilback

Having just gotten back from WDW I would gladly give up our toon town for Belle's village! The detail is amazing and the BOG restaurant was delicious! Plus Gaston is super fun!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Thats not the issues. The issue is the location. There is no room at all behind the character houses.
    I just looked at google maps, and if they removed that backstage building behind Chip n' Dale's Treehouse and Goofy's House, then they should have sufficient room to expand Toontown.

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Having just gotten back from WDW I would gladly give up our toon town for Belle's village! The detail is amazing and the BOG restaurant was delicious! Plus Gaston is super fun!
    What I've seen looks amazing and I'd love for them to bring it to DL, except fill it with animatronics, and send an omnimover track through it!
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

• Member; Mousketeer

Toon Town is still be a brilliant concept.

Perhaps it just needs to re-establish its time/place.

One example would to overhaul the 'land' by turning it into
    a living classic black and white cartoon.

Or...

My personal favorite, the toon town that never was.

• Disneyland History Lover

I think that the idea of an area dedicated to Mickey and Friends is a sound one, and one that has the potential of being as timeless as Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, or even classic Tomorrowland. However, it's potential has not been fully realized in a way that gives it the same timeless feel. I think in order for it to achieve this sort of status, it would require a complete re-imagining. I would personally prefer a new land with a different theme, but I would support a new version of ToonTown or a land with a similar Mickey and Friends concept if it were to be done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Toon Town is still be a brilliant concept.

Perhaps it just needs to re-establish its time/place.

One example would to overhaul the 'land' by turning it into
    a living classic black and white cartoon.

Or...

My personal favorite, the toon town that never was.
    Thanks for sharing, never seen that before! Great concept, but I'd change the theming from a medieval village to a countryside town.

I can see why they went away from medieval. Just doesn't fit with the 'classic' Mickey & friends characters, especially when they had RR on their mind. If they would have, they might have already converted it to a FL-extension by replacing the classic characters with Cinderella, Tangled, B&TB, etc.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast